A sotapanna

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
appicchato

Re: A sotapanna

Post by appicchato »

Whatever
Says it all...
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

appicchato wrote:
Whatever
Says it all...
Bhante you really shouldn't be so judgemental (if you are being judgemental that is. I may have misinterpreted your statement and if so I apologize).

Kevin
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Kevin,
Virgo wrote:Perhaps announcing it on the internet is a bit "over the top" in some ways but again, it is not like I have a group of close Buddhist friends or Theravada Buddhists or even a teacher nearby that I can express this with, and online communities have been my mainstay in Buddhism for long periods of time aside from when I lived in a Buddhist temple in America and when I lived in Thailand for a few months.
I'm puzzled why you chose to make your announcement on Dhamma Wheel, rather than on Dhamma Study Group, where several of the Khun Sujin students that you have a lot in common with post and read.

Best Wishes and Metta
Mike
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Kevin,
Virgo wrote:Perhaps announcing it on the internet is a bit "over the top" in some ways but again, it is not like I have a group of close Buddhist friends or Theravada Buddhists or even a teacher nearby that I can express this with, and online communities have been my mainstay in Buddhism for long periods of time aside from when I lived in a Buddhist temple in America and when I lived in Thailand for a few months.
I'm puzzled why you chose to make your announcement on Dhamma Wheel, rather than on Dhamma Study Group, where several of the Khun Sujin students that you have a lot in common with post and read.

Best Wishes and Metta
Mike
Hi Mike :)

Because word gets around and it would get back around to here where I would just have to explain it all over again and clear up misconceptions. The people over at that other list don't have a lot of misconceptions.

Kevin
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Virgo wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Virgo wrote:You can think whatever you like Tilt. A lot of it is your own projection I think. I don't know how you even begin to think you know my mind state or what runs through it.
No projections, and I make no claim to know your mind. All I know is what you tell us here, and one of those things is that you think you are something special: "It is not as easy as you think being totally different from every one else."

You are the one here who has made a claim of being extraordinary, of belonging to an elite group that should be gifted with praise and honor, and you are the one accepting those gifts of praise - in other words, a claim that is driven by the 8 winds. A claim driven, by your account, by discomfort, which is to say driven by aversion to the discomfort since you acted to get rid of it, and a claim that smacks of self-identity and what looks like conceit: "I am a sotapanna."

Really, why would anyone feel a need to make such a claim of themselves, of wanting to be seen as - to use your words -"being totally different from every one else" other than that is exactly how they want to be seen, as unique, as something special, someone to be looked up to? What else would be the result of such a claim?
A sotapanna still has conceit.
Which is to say that a sotapanna - according to you - may want to be gifted with the praise of being someone unique. A sotapanna, however, from my experiences, would also have the wisdom and the strength to not act on such an unskilful conceit, which is why I do not find your claim and your defense of it at all convincing.
Fine Tile. Whatever.

Kevin
Well. An admission that I am correct. Thank you and you are to commended for your honesty.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Best Wishes and Metta
Mike
It is odd that he came out here rather than there and it would have been more appropriate given the general tendancy to a like-minded take on the Dhamma there. After all it was on that list that Kevin announced his grand intention of devoting his life to becoming a master of Pali so that he could accurately translate the whole of the Sutta Pitaka and all the commentaries.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammastu ... age/106970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

tiltbillings wrote:
Well. An admission that I am correct. Thank you and you are to commended for your honesty.
Sorry, that is not what you got and I will not give that to you because it is not so.

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

tiltbillings wrote:

Best Wishes and Metta
Mike
It is odd that he came out here rather than there and it would have been more appropriate given the general tendancy to a like-minded take on the Dhamma there. After all it was on that list that Kevin announced his grand intention of devoting his life to becoming a master of Pali so that he could accurately translate the whole of the Sutta Pitaka and all the commentaries.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammastu ... age/106970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You question my motivations, I won't go so low as to question yours.

Kevin
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Virgo wrote: You question my motivations, I won't go so low as to question yours.

Kevin
I am not questioning youir motivations. Damdifino what they are, but I do question your actions which are out there for everyone to see.

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

tiltbillings wrote:
Virgo wrote: You question my motivations, I won't go so low as to question yours.

Kevin
I am not questioning youir motivations. Damdifino what they are, but I do question your actions which are out there for everyone to see.
Although we have differences of opinion Tilt, I wish that you will always be well and happy.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Virgo wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

Kevin
Although we have differences of opinion Tilt, I wish that you will always be well and happy.
That is very sweet of you.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

To all and sundry,

For all the stuff that has been said above:
After only a year and a half of practice at Wat Ba Pong, one American asked and received permission to travel and study with other Thai and Burmese teachers. A year or two later, he returned full of tales of his travels, of many months of extraordinary and intensive practice and of a number of remarkable experiences. . . .
Then the Western monk went to the cottage of Achaan Sumedho, the senior Western disciple of Achaan Chah, and told all his stories and adventures, his new understandings and great insights into practice. Sumedho listened in silence and prepared afternoon tea from the roots of certain forest plants. When the stories were completed and the insights recounted, Sumedho smiled and said, "Ah, how wonderful. Something else to let go of." Only that.
For all that has been said here, the best advice from an Ariya. Only that.

Guy

Post by Guy »

How can we know Sumedho is an Ariya?
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Guy wrote:How can we know Sumedho is an Ariya?
How do we know? We do not, but having spent some time with him in Thailand and based upon what other who know him very well have said, it is a far better bet than a wan self proclamation.

Guy

Post by Guy »

Yeah, personally I am inclined to believe he probably is because of the confidence and wisdom he conveys in his talks that I have listened to online. I know that confidence is not a sign of enlightnment in itself and wisdom (or at least the appearance of wisdom) can be borrowed. So, I don't really have enough criteria to go by, but he appears to me as "knowing (from experience) what he's talking about".
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm