Questions on Goenka technique and retreat

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
bodom

Questions on Goenka technique and retreat

Post by bodom »

I am looking into attending a 10 day course in the near to distant future and am looking for suggestions for resources, both online and book form, that will give me a good grasp of how to practice Goenka's technique. I am also wondering if it is possible to start learning and practicing Goenka's style on my own before attending the retreat so as to get an idea of what to expect? Or should I just wait to practice until the actual retreat? Thanks in advance.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Moggalana

Re: Questions on Goenka technique and retreat

Post by Moggalana »

There is a book called The Art of Living: Vipassana Meditation: As Taught by S. N. Goenka written by William Hart. It isn't a detailed how-to though. More like a general outline of Goenka's approach. There is also a book written by Goenka himself: Discourse Summaries: Talks from a Ten-day Course in Vipassana Meditation. I haven't read that one though. If you look on the internet, you can find the video and mp3 files of a whole 10 day course. But I guess they are normally not intended to be shared to people who haven't done a course.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Just a suggestion Bodom. Dont read up too much ahead of time. Just do it.
I am quite sure that you wont regret it.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Personally, I think if I had some advanced knowledge of the technique I would have been second-guessing either myself or the process. So going into it unaware was a good plan for me. I did wish I had some basic education in Pali chanting and terminology before my retreat. I think you have that covered, from your posts.

The only other regret I had: I wish I had packed a sports injury pack: ibuprofen, ace bandage, tiger balm, etc. Never thought that I could injure myself meditating, but whacked my back 3 days in.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Bodom
Sanghamitta wrote:Just a suggestion Bodom. Dont read up too much ahead of time. Just do it.
I am quite sure that you wont regret it.
This is excellent advice.

If you go to the website: http://www.dhamma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you'll find some introductory material.

Just a few points:
- The manner of instruction is gradual, so you get slightly different instructions each day. It does take some time to develop mental sensitivity before moving onto the main meditation technique of vipassana (vedananupassana).
- The ten-day course is really an (introductory) ten-day course designed for the newbie. On more than one occassion, SN Goenka says This is the kindergarten of Dhamma! and This path is so long, and you've only taken the first step.
I'm happy to answer any questions you might have and, of course, you are welcome to contact me by pm.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

My only mistake on the retreat was to sleep after lunch because of not having my sleeping schedule ajusted to the retreat schedule. So I felt sleepy during the afternoon and awake at sleeping time. So my advice is to ajust your sleeping schedule in acordance.

May you have a wonderful experience bodom :smile:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
bodom

Post by bodom »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, recommendations and encouragement. :smile:

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I hope that you will share your experience with us afterwards Bodom.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Bodom,

If you've read the Satipatthana Sutta, which you have, then you've read all you need to know about it beforehand.

The method is simply a way to do vedananupassana (after a few days of anapanasati).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

Hi Sanghamitta

I sure will. Ive been wanting to do a retreat for so long and im really hoping I will have the opportunity. I have some obstacles, time off from work, daycare etc. to deal with first but I am determined!

Retro

I am certainly familiar with Satipatthana and have done body scanning practice before so this is not entirely new ground for me to cover.

- BB