3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Postby _Daniel_ » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:47 pm

I am agnostic, but I am interested in buddhism, and I would like to have a retreat of 3-4 weeks in a monastery of Nepal, where I can learn more things about buddhism and to be able of practise meditation. Anybody know a monastery in Nepal that let me do it? I already have read the monasteries in Nepal of the document that I have attached, but I dont know if that monasteries are good for go there for 3-4 weeks to practise and learn buddhism.

Thank You.
Attachments
Retreats_in_Asia 2010.pdf
(446.27 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
User avatar
_Daniel_
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: 3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Postby Modus.Ponens » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 pm

You can choose between these:

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.ph ... &tradition[]=theravada

Contact them and see if they're able to provide a retreat.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
User avatar
Modus.Ponens
 
Posts: 2017
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:38 am
Location: Funchal, Portugal

Re: 3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Postby _Daniel_ » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Thank you for the information, but I hope that somebody can tell me something more about some monastery of Nepal where they have been. Because I never have done a retreat in a monastery, so I dont know what is a good monastery for learn and meditate, and what is a "not real" monastery, or a bussiness company looking for money.
User avatar
_Daniel_
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: 3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:12 am

Greetings _Daniel_,

Nepal isn't likely to be a popular retreat destination for Theravada Buddhists, as Nepal is not a traditional Theravada country, meaning that the principles underpinning most medtiation retreats there will be Mahayana or Vajrayana.

If people are prepared to travel overseas for an extended retreat, destinations like Burma/Myanmar, Thailand, Sri Lanka or even India are far more likely candidates.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)


Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7


Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14680
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Postby alan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:09 am

Agreed. Although I did my first retreat in Nepal, it was just because I was a long-term traveller and the occasion presented itself. The situation was far from ideal. We had a Hindu festival to contend with, and anyone who has witnessed these multi-day annoyances will attest to my contention that there is no worse background imaginable for meditation.
Nepal is not a Buddhist country, the facilities are poor, and as far as I know serious teachers don't spend much time there.
I would not recommend Nepal as a destination for those interested in learning meditation.
alan
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:14 am
Location: Miramar beach, Fl.

Re: 3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Postby appicchato » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:01 am

http://www.panditarama-lumbini.info comes highly recommended...
User avatar
appicchato
 
Posts: 1600
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:47 am
Location: Bridge on the River Kwae

Re: 3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Postby SamKR » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:26 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings _Daniel_,

Nepal isn't likely to be a popular retreat destination for Theravada Buddhists, as Nepal is not a traditional Theravada country, meaning that the principles underpinning most medtiation retreats there will be Mahayana or Vajrayana.

If people are prepared to travel overseas for an extended retreat, destinations like Burma/Myanmar, Thailand, Sri Lanka or even India are far more likely candidates.

Metta,
Retro. :)


alan wrote:Agreed. Although I did my first retreat in Nepal, it was just because I was a long-term traveller and the occasion presented itself. The situation was far from ideal. We had a Hindu festival to contend with, and anyone who has witnessed these multi-day annoyances will attest to my contention that there is no worse background imaginable for meditation.
Nepal is not a Buddhist country, the facilities are poor, and as far as I know serious teachers don't spend much time there.
I would not recommend Nepal as a destination for those interested in learning meditation.


I hope Nepal is not that bad destination for Theravada. There are still good monasteries and teachers.
Last edited by SamKR on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamKR
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: 3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi Sam,
SamKR wrote:I hope Nepal is not that bad destination for Theravada. There are still good monasteries and teachers.

There are good Theravada monasteries and teachers in many countries, including yours and mine. Certainly the centres mentioned in the Nepal section of the Retreats in Asia guide that was posted earlier, such as the Panditarama centre that Ven Appicchato mentions, would be good.

The point that some have made is that there is a much higher density of monasteries, supported by an underlying Buddhist culture, in Thailand, Burma, and Sri Lanka, and if one were to take the trouble to travel to Asia to sample the Theravada tradition then those countries might be a more logical choice.

On the other hand, I'm sure Nepal is an interesting place to visit.

Best Wishes,
Mike
User avatar
mikenz66
 
Posts: 10420
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: 3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Postby SamKR » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:21 pm

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Sam,
SamKR wrote:I hope Nepal is not that bad destination for Theravada. There are still good monasteries and teachers.

There are good Theravada monasteries and teachers in many countries, including yours and mine. Certainly the centres mentioned in the Nepal section of the Retreats in Asia guide that was posted earlier, such as the Panditarama centre that Ven Appicchato mentions, would be good.

The point that some have made is that there is a much higher density of monasteries, supported by an underlying Buddhist culture, in Thailand, Burma, and Sri Lanka, and if one were to take the trouble to travel to Asia to sample the Theravada tradition then those countries might be a more logical choice.

On the other hand, I'm sure Nepal is an interesting place to visit.

Best Wishes,
Mike

I agree Mike. There are definitely more opportunities in Sri Lanka, Burma and Thailand.
SamKR
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: 3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Postby marcpiano » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi,

First post.

I did my first 10-day meditation retreat at Kopan monastery in Nepal in late Jan/early Feb this year. http://www.kopan-monastery.com/

I tied it in with a roughly 1 week stay in the monastery prior.

The retreat itself was lead by Ven. Antonio Satta, who was scholared by Geluk lineaged teachers but is trained in Vipassana from the Mahasi Sayadaw Insight Meditation Centre. The practice was Vipassana with a very small smattering of information concerning Mahamudra. He's running another retreat in Kopan in January 2011.

The monastery itself is associated with FPMT but the retreat was a Vipassana retreat. Ven. Antonio has been taughed by Mahayana lineaged teachers but has also trained in meditation at the Mahasi Sayadaw Insight Meditation Centre, so brings a unique blend of experience and perspective.

The monastery is extremely well-resourced (shop, cafe and Internet access on site, some currency exchange and monks that speak excellent English), has very good accommodation and is well equipped to cater for Western guests and meditators. It is also quite accessible from Kathmandu (a city you'll want to spend as little time in as possible IMO).

So it is possible. I stayed in Nepal for a month and combined this with a trek around the Annapurnna region post-retreat.

I highly recommend the course, and the monastery is well-equipped to support such a retreat. Around 70 Westerners attended, though numbers declined as the retreat continued. It is conducted in full silence, communication devices are surrendered and the monastery provides vegetarian food only. Just be mindful that the monastery itself is Mahayana, though that has little influence when you're attending the retreat itself.

Hope this helps. Any questions, PM me.
marcpiano
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:00 am


Return to Ordination and Monastic Life

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests