Animals

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ngawang Drolma.

Animals

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Hi friends,

Can anyone point me to suttas in which the Buddha discusses the animal realm and dukkha?

Also, I'm under the impression that the definition of sentience is having breath. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Drolma
Annapurna

Re: Animals

Post by Annapurna »

Hi, Drolma, "sentient" means to be able to feel sensations with a nervous system, if I'm not mistaken...
Element

Post by Element »

Bhikkhus, these three are the origins for the arising of action. What three?

Greed is an origin for the arising of action, hate is an origin for the arising of action and delusion is an origin for the arising of action. Bhikkhus, non-greed does not arise from greed, greed itself arises from greed Bhikkhus, non-hate does not arise from hate, hate itself arises from hate. Bhikkhus, non-delusion does not arise from delusion, delusion itself arises from delusion. Bhikkhus, a god, a human or any other good state would not be evident from actions born of greed, hate and delusion. Yet, bhikkhus, from actions born of greed, hate and delusion a hellish being, an animal birth a ghostly birth or some other bad state would be evident. Bhikkhus, these three are the origins for the arising of actions.

Bhikkhus, these three are the origins for the arising of actions. What three?

Non-greed is an origin for the arising of action, non-hate is an origin for the arising of action and non-delusion is an origin for the arising of action. Bhikkhus, greed does not arise from non-greed, non-greed itself arises from non-greed Bhikkhus, hate does not arise from non-hate, non-hate itself arises from non-hate. Bhikkhus, delusion does not arise from non-delusion, non-delusion itself arises from non-delusion. Bhikkhus, a hellish being, an animal birth a ghostly birth or some other bad state, would not be evident from actions born of non-greed, non-hate and non-delusion. Yet, bhikkhus, from actions born of non-greed, non-hate and non-delusion a god, a human or any other good state would be evident Bhikkhus, these three are the origins for the arising of actions.

AN VI.39
Element

Post by Element »

Drolma wrote:Also, I'm under the impression that the definition of sentience is having breath. Is this correct?
In the Pali, we have:
Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.
Panatipata therefore must equal 'destroying living creatures'.

I think somewhere in those words is 'pana' or 'ana', which means 'to breathe'.

Thus, I think but am unsure living beings are those that breathe.

I trust one of our Pali experts can assist us.
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Thank you, Element :)

I believe the sanskrit prana translates to breath if that helps.

/\