how do YOU practice metta meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
jcsuperstar

how do YOU practice metta meditation

Post by jcsuperstar »

what is your personal metta practice like? is it simply auto-suggestion or chanting? you you feel metta in your heart area?
i'd like to know more.
please share

jc :heart:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Sanghamitta

Re: how do YOU practice metta meditation

Post by Sanghamitta »

It varies. Sometimes It flows freely with a lot of emotional content and feelings of loving kindness. At other times it is more cerebral. More a question of holding people in mind and wishing them well. I am not sure what you mean by feeling metta in my heart...if my second sentence covers it then I do.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Have you read Bhante G's Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English?
I practice his method.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

My practice is based on imagining the sun's light and warmth on my body.
With Metta
bodom

Post by bodom »

Rui Sousa wrote:My practice is based on imagining the sun's light and warmth on my body.
Couldnt you just sit outside in the sun? :tongue:

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

bodom wrote:
Rui Sousa wrote:My practice is based on imagining the sun's light and warmth on my body.

:clap: I could, and I do.
:smile:
With Metta
bodom

Post by bodom »

Rui Sousa wrote:
bodom wrote:

:clap: I could, and I do.
:smile:
I wish I had privacy to be able to sit out in the sun. Living in an apartment complex makes it a bit difficult. Maybe I will give your practice a try!

- BB
adeh

Post by adeh »

I am doing metta as a complete meditation as taught by Bhikkhu Sujato. He teaches the Metta meditation method taught by his teacher Ajahn Maha Chatchai...it's really good....
Guy

Post by Guy »

adeh wrote:I am doing metta as a complete meditation as taught by Bhikkhu Sujato. He teaches the Metta meditation method taught by his teacher Ajahn Maha Chatchai...it's really good....
I agree, I really like his style.

Guided metta meditations and talks about this style can be found here: Metta Meditation and The Practice of Metta
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

I dont do it often, but sometimes if im feeling anger i make a point to do it every day. Mostly tho i do on the bus because rude people piss me off :) and old, sad or sick people make me sad. So i send them a little love.

I use this method:

http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhis ... /Metta.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
purist_andrew

Post by purist_andrew »

I practice roughly according to the method of Sayadaw U Pandita as outlined in his book "The State of Mind Called Beautiful." Repeating mantras mentally for directional pervasion of metta and karuna.
May all beings be free from emnity and danger,
be free from mental suffering,
be free from physical suffering,
be able to look after themselves happily.

May all breathing beings be free from emnity and danger,
be able to look after themselves happily

May all beings who have been born be free from emnity and danger,

May all individuals be free from emnity and danger,

May all those contained in bodies be free from emnity and danger,

May all female beings... male beings... noble ones... non-noble ones... celestial beings... human beings... beings in woeful states...
And repeated for each of the ten directions, north, south, east, west, northeast, northwest, southeast, southwest, above, and below.
Jack

Post by Jack »

[quote="jcsuperstar"]what is your personal metta practice like? is it simply auto-suggestion or chanting? you you feel metta in your heart area?
i'd like to know more.
please share
===============
None of the above. I first get a loving kindness feeling that I have for a favorite person. I use the words "May she be at peace. etc." to match up that feeling with the words. Then, I shift my attention around while trying to keep that feeling of loving kindness by using the words. When I lose that feeling, I go back to my original subject, get in touch with the feeling and then return to where I left off.

Its all about feelings not words but the words usually help. Sometimes I don't even use the words, just the feeling of loving kindness.

jack
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Don't do it enough.- usually once a week. I direct metta to 10 directions using a similar contemplation to the one above. I guess at other times I try to get away from aversive mindstates- which I feel is as important as developing metta.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha