In search of a noble teacher.

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

In search of a noble teacher.

Postby Wind » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:11 am

Hi everyone

I have decided to seriously search for a noble teacher to possibly be ordain under. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a highly regarded teacher? I prefer a teacher in the Thai forest tradition who can speak fluent English. I am also open to any noble teacher from Sri Lanka as well.

Thanks for your help

Wind
Wind

Re: In search of a noble teacher.

Postby Goedert » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:09 pm

Friend,

Bhante G, at West Virginia in USA.

His monostery website is:

http://www.bhavanasociety.org/
Goedert

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:26 pm

With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby _Daniel_ » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:38 pm

rowyourboat wrote:Ven Dhammajiva, Sri Lanka
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissarana_Vanaya

hello rowyourboat, do you know that monastery? have you been there? I am looking for a monastery to do a 3-4 weeks retreat to learn and practise more things about buddhism, and I like this place, but I don't see any email or address to contact with this monastery, could you help me with it? Thank You.
_Daniel_

Postby bodom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:12 pm

Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery

Buddhist monastery in the Thai Forest Sangha tradition of Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho.

http://www.abhayagiri.org/

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:48 pm

Ajahn Amaro. Chithurst Forest Monastery UK.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Wind » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:58 am

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will look up each and everyone one of them and learn more about them. :)
Wind

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:59 am

_Daniel_ wrote:
rowyourboat wrote:Ven Dhammajiva, Sri Lanka
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissarana_Vanaya

hello rowyourboat, do you know that monastery? have you been there? I am looking for a monastery to do a 3-4 weeks retreat to learn and practise more things about buddhism, and I like this place, but I don't see any email or address to contact with this monastery, could you help me with it? Thank You.

Hi Daniel,

It might be best to just call them up on their phone line (Tel:0094 602 339 193) and speak to someone. Alternatively (or in addition) If you could send me some details about yourself and what you want to do I can pass it on to Ven Dhammajiva, who will get back to you on it. (please email me on 'matheeshag'at'hotmail.com)

with metta
:smile:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby appicchato » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:40 pm

The OP is looking for a 'Noble Teacher'...and good luck to him/her...although (my) reality compels me to say that all of the subsequent 'recommendations' will not give (what I consider to be) the desired outcome...the people mentioned give talks but not the personalized instruction that I get the feeling the OP is looking for...in fact it would be difficult to find any 'name' that does...if asked I would recommend reading the Suttas and go with the Noblest Teacher from the git go...just a bit of reflection from personal observation...
appicchato

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:46 pm

Ajahn Amaro has just taken over as Abbott of Chithurst and part of his remit will certainly entail preparing people for ordination.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Anicca » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Howdy Bhante Appicchato!
appicchato wrote:if asked I would recommend reading the Suttas and go with the Noblest Teacher from the git go...just a bit of reflection from personal observation...

Just to clarify - the Noblest Teacher being the Dhamma?

Metta
Anicca

Postby andrewuk » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:50 pm

Sanghamitta wrote:Ajahn Amaro has just taken over as Abbott of Chithurst and part of his remit will certainly entail preparing people for ordination.

Hello,

I think Ajahn Amaro is the new abbot of Amaravati Monastery... Not Chithurst :-)

Metta.

Andrew
Meditate, don't be negligent, lest you may later regret it!
andrewuk

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:52 pm

andrewuk wrote:I think Ajahn Amaro is the new abbot of Amaravati Monastery... Not Chithurst :-)

Yes, see here: http://forestsangha.org/index.php?optio ... g&Itemid=8
Change of abbot at Amaravati
Saturday, 01 May 2010 07:40

In early April 2010 senior members of the Forest Sangha associated with the monasteries in Europe met at Amaravati for their usual annual gathering. From 6–10 April, 21 theras and 6 theris (monks and nuns respectively of over 10 years training) conducted mixed and separate meetings to address community business.

One of the most important items was a formal announcement by Luang Por Sumedho of his intention to retire from being abbot at Amaravati. Luang Por had earlier expressed his wish that Ajahn Amaro from Abhayagiri Monastery in California (who attended these meetings) take up the role of abbot following his own departure at the end of this year. After meeting with the monks and nuns at Amaravati and with the Elders’ Council, Ajahn Amaro was heartily welcomed to take up Luang Por’s invitation, and it was agreed that he will become the new abbot at Amaravati.

It is Luang Por Sumedho's wish initially to return to live in Thailand, probably at Wat Nong Pah Pong. He plans to depart soon after this year's Kathina at Amaravati on 14th November. For further information please see www.amaravati.org

Mike
mikenz66

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:23 am

Greetings,

appicchato wrote:if asked I would recommend reading the Suttas and go with the Noblest Teacher from the git go...just a bit of reflection from personal observation...

:goodpost:

The Buddha is cool.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Wind » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:55 am

appicchato wrote:The OP is looking for a 'Noble Teacher'...and good luck to him/her...although (my) reality compels me to say that all of the subsequent 'recommendations' will not give (what I consider to be) the desired outcome...the people mentioned give talks but not the personalized instruction that I get the feeling the OP is looking for...in fact it would be difficult to find any 'name' that does...if asked I would recommend reading the Suttas and go with the Noblest Teacher from the git go...just a bit of reflection from personal observation...

You are right Bhante. That's exactly the type of teacher I am looking for. I know it is hard to find such noble teacher so I have always depended on my suttas for guidance. But I believe a noble one exist today, so I hope to find such teacher who can give me personal instructions.
Wind

Postby appicchato » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:36 am

Anicca wrote:Just to clarify - the Noblest Teacher being the Dhamma?

To me the Buddha is the Noblest Teacher, but as he re-discovered the Dhamma and that is what he taught, I guess you could say that...
appicchato

Postby Anicca » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:03 am

Thank you, Bhante Appicchato!
appicchato wrote:I guess you could say that...

I guess the Buddha said as much in DN 16 - the Maha-parinibbana Sutta:
So you should train yourselves: 'We will keep practicing the Dhamma in accordance with the Dhamma, we will keep practicing masterfully, we will live in accordance with the Dhamma.That's how you should train yourselves."

Metta
Anicca

Postby Sanghamitta » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:56 am

andrewuk wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:Ajahn Amaro has just taken over as Abbott of Chithurst and part of his remit will certainly entail preparing people for ordination.

Hello,

I think Ajahn Amaro is the new abbot of Amaravati Monastery... Not Chithurst :-)

Metta.

Andrew

Sorry slip of the typing finger..thanks for the correction. :embarassed: .
Anyway Wind, a Noble Teacher In the Forest Tradition who speaks fluent English, he IS English, part of whose remit will be to train those who profess an interest in ordination.
:anjali:

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Goofaholix » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:24 am

Are you suggesting that some teachers are ignoble and you want to avoid them?

The best way to decide which teacher you want to stay with long term is to go and spend a few weeks or months on retreat with any or all teachers that might interest you until you find one you want to stay with.

Most people have had more than one teacher and you can learn a lot by learning from any and every teacher. It's good to find one you really want to stay with long term but it doesn't always happen like that so in the words of the song "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with".
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:43 am

Good points Goofaholix,

There are many teachers out there. A few are famous, but that doesn't mean that the others are worthless. And as has already been mentioned, it's unlikely you'll be able to get a lot of personal attention from a famous teacher. (Not that it's not worthwhile to have such contact if you have the opportunity, of course.)

Mike
mikenz66

Next

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life