Luminious mind

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
ground

Re: Luminious mind

Post by ground »

Sanghamitta wrote:It seems to me that logic and plain commonsense is with the Theravada...
Interesting. What kind of logic do you refer to? And what is "plain commonsense"? What is its difference from the "commonsense" that keeps beings in samsara?

To me it seems that the words of the Buddha (i.e. the suttas) are neither "Theravada" nor "Hinayana" nor "Mahayana". Why? Because they are the manifestation of the Buddha's perfect skill in means and based on his compassion for beings.

Kind regards
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

T Mingyur...nothing personal and if you came to my house I would serve you a cup of the beverage of your choice and a snack..but I have no interest in your views of the Theravada. I am interested in Buddhist terms only in the views of those who are practising the Theravada way. As i say nothing personal, and I am speaking for myself only.
Normally I don't read your posts I just gloss over them. My reason for partaking on this forum is to become a more focused Theravada student. That's why i joined. Its also why I did not post on E Sangha.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

Sanghamitta wrote: Lets face it the reason that these debates have increased in terms of traffic on Dhamma Wheel is because of the demise of E sangha....
That may be a large part of the reason, but surely it's not the only reason.

The teachings conveyed in the Pali Canon are foundational to all Buddhism; Theravada is the oldest and most coherent expression of these foundational teachings, and the closest equivalent to the actual words of Siddhartha Gautama. I'd think any serious student of Buddhism, regardless of tradition, would want to learn more about Theravada. And Dhamma Wheel is one of the best resources on the web for that.

Maybe there is also something about Theravada which makes it more amenable to discussion forums? The analytical side of Theravada is often mentioned, and it's easier to have an analytical discussion on a internet forum than it is to express devotion or practice silent illumination.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

:smile: I think its very understandable and commendable Lazy Eye that those with an interest in Dhamma should use this Forum to debate and discuss and deepen their understanding. However fairly frequently its not like that. What happens on those occasions is that people feel impelled apparently to contextualise the Theravada or to " complete" it. Or to show that everything in the Theravada is present in THEIR tradition.... and then some. Which may in a sense be true. It strikes me that the problem with the Mahayana is not one of omission , but of extraneousness.
I am always reminded of a passage in " Brideshead Revisited " when Charles Ryder one of the chief characters who is a professional painter and artist has an exhibition of his work. An old friend called Anthony Blanche arrives towards the end of showing hours. They talk for a while and then Anthony takes Charles by the arm and says something along the lines of " let us view your paintings Charles dear and I shall EXPLAIN them to you..."
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
ground

Post by ground »

Sanghamitta wrote:My reason for partaking on this forum is to become a more focused Theravada student.
I rejoice in your endeavour, really.

Kind regards