3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
_Daniel_

3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Post by _Daniel_ »

I am agnostic, but I am interested in buddhism, and I would like to have a retreat of 3-4 weeks in a monastery of Nepal, where I can learn more things about buddhism and to be able of practise meditation. Anybody know a monastery in Nepal that let me do it? I already have read the monasteries in Nepal of the document that I have attached, but I dont know if that monasteries are good for go there for 3-4 weeks to practise and learn buddhism.

Thank You.
Attachments
Retreats_in_Asia 2010.pdf
(441.33 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Modus.Ponens

Re: 3-4 weeks retreat in Nepal?

Post by Modus.Ponens »

You can choose between these:

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.ph ... &tradition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[]=theravada

Contact them and see if they're able to provide a retreat.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
_Daniel_

Post by _Daniel_ »

Thank you for the information, but I hope that somebody can tell me something more about some monastery of Nepal where they have been. Because I never have done a retreat in a monastery, so I dont know what is a good monastery for learn and meditate, and what is a "not real" monastery, or a bussiness company looking for money.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings _Daniel_,

Nepal isn't likely to be a popular retreat destination for Theravada Buddhists, as Nepal is not a traditional Theravada country, meaning that the principles underpinning most medtiation retreats there will be Mahayana or Vajrayana.

If people are prepared to travel overseas for an extended retreat, destinations like Burma/Myanmar, Thailand, Sri Lanka or even India are far more likely candidates.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
alan

Post by alan »

Agreed. Although I did my first retreat in Nepal, it was just because I was a long-term traveller and the occasion presented itself. The situation was far from ideal. We had a Hindu festival to contend with, and anyone who has witnessed these multi-day annoyances will attest to my contention that there is no worse background imaginable for meditation.
Nepal is not a Buddhist country, the facilities are poor, and as far as I know serious teachers don't spend much time there.
I would not recommend Nepal as a destination for those interested in learning meditation.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

http://www.panditarama-lumbini.info comes highly recommended...
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings _Daniel_,

Nepal isn't likely to be a popular retreat destination for Theravada Buddhists, as Nepal is not a traditional Theravada country, meaning that the principles underpinning most medtiation retreats there will be Mahayana or Vajrayana.

If people are prepared to travel overseas for an extended retreat, destinations like Burma/Myanmar, Thailand, Sri Lanka or even India are far more likely candidates.

Metta,
Retro. :)
alan wrote:Agreed. Although I did my first retreat in Nepal, it was just because I was a long-term traveller and the occasion presented itself. The situation was far from ideal. We had a Hindu festival to contend with, and anyone who has witnessed these multi-day annoyances will attest to my contention that there is no worse background imaginable for meditation.
Nepal is not a Buddhist country, the facilities are poor, and as far as I know serious teachers don't spend much time there.
I would not recommend Nepal as a destination for those interested in learning meditation.
I hope Nepal is not that bad destination for Theravada. There are still good monasteries and teachers.
Last edited by SamKR on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Sam,
SamKR wrote: I hope Nepal is not that bad destination for Theravada. There are still good monasteries and teachers.
There are good Theravada monasteries and teachers in many countries, including yours and mine. Certainly the centres mentioned in the Nepal section of the Retreats in Asia guide that was posted earlier, such as the Panditarama centre that Ven Appicchato mentions, would be good.

The point that some have made is that there is a much higher density of monasteries, supported by an underlying Buddhist culture, in Thailand, Burma, and Sri Lanka, and if one were to take the trouble to travel to Asia to sample the Theravada tradition then those countries might be a more logical choice.

On the other hand, I'm sure Nepal is an interesting place to visit.

Best Wishes,
Mike
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Sam,
SamKR wrote: I hope Nepal is not that bad destination for Theravada. There are still good monasteries and teachers.
There are good Theravada monasteries and teachers in many countries, including yours and mine. Certainly the centres mentioned in the Nepal section of the Retreats in Asia guide that was posted earlier, such as the Panditarama centre that Ven Appicchato mentions, would be good.

The point that some have made is that there is a much higher density of monasteries, supported by an underlying Buddhist culture, in Thailand, Burma, and Sri Lanka, and if one were to take the trouble to travel to Asia to sample the Theravada tradition then those countries might be a more logical choice.

On the other hand, I'm sure Nepal is an interesting place to visit.

Best Wishes,
Mike
I agree Mike. There are definitely more opportunities in Sri Lanka, Burma and Thailand.
marcpiano

Post by marcpiano »

Hi,

First post.

I did my first 10-day meditation retreat at Kopan monastery in Nepal in late Jan/early Feb this year. http://www.kopan-monastery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tied it in with a roughly 1 week stay in the monastery prior.

The retreat itself was lead by Ven. Antonio Satta, who was scholared by Geluk lineaged teachers but is trained in Vipassana from the Mahasi Sayadaw Insight Meditation Centre. The practice was Vipassana with a very small smattering of information concerning Mahamudra. He's running another retreat in Kopan in January 2011.

The monastery itself is associated with FPMT but the retreat was a Vipassana retreat. Ven. Antonio has been taughed by Mahayana lineaged teachers but has also trained in meditation at the Mahasi Sayadaw Insight Meditation Centre, so brings a unique blend of experience and perspective.

The monastery is extremely well-resourced (shop, cafe and Internet access on site, some currency exchange and monks that speak excellent English), has very good accommodation and is well equipped to cater for Western guests and meditators. It is also quite accessible from Kathmandu (a city you'll want to spend as little time in as possible IMO).

So it is possible. I stayed in Nepal for a month and combined this with a trek around the Annapurnna region post-retreat.

I highly recommend the course, and the monastery is well-equipped to support such a retreat. Around 70 Westerners attended, though numbers declined as the retreat continued. It is conducted in full silence, communication devices are surrendered and the monastery provides vegetarian food only. Just be mindful that the monastery itself is Mahayana, though that has little influence when you're attending the retreat itself.

Hope this helps. Any questions, PM me.