Bothersome insects during meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Lombardi4

Bothersome insects during meditation

Post by Lombardi4 »

I meditate under a tree on a cliff above the sea. During meditation tiny insects crawl on my limbs, neck and head, which is very irritating. Should I bear them with patience and equanimity and not move, or should I wave them away?
jcsuperstar

Re: Bothersome insects during meditation

Post by jcsuperstar »

use the feeling of them as an aid to mindfulness of body! :heart:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

jcsuperstar wrote:use the feeling of them as an aid to mindfulness of body! :heart:
But am I not supposed to be watching the breath? Can I do both mindfulness of the body and mindfulness of the breath at the same time? :heart:
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

if you cant keep with the breath because of the bugs i'd say forget the breath and use the body.
also you might be interested in ajaan Lee he taught of many different ways of using the breath, and breath energies, feeling the breath throughout the whole body, feeling the breath come in through the skull and out through the feet. i've found it really helpful in looking at the breath in different ways.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Stefan wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:use the feeling of them as an aid to mindfulness of body! :heart:
But am I not supposed to be watching the breath? Can I do both mindfulness of the body and mindfulness of the breath at the same time? :heart:
It all depends on what you are practicing. You are following Ajahn Brahm's instructions, right? In this case, you should try to let go of everything that bothers you, so that only the feeling/perception of breathing remains. If you try to get rid of them, they will just come back. Just let go and try not the get irritated by them, or meditate under a mosquito net, or change your place for meditation, or change your technique and use them as an aid to mindfulness of body, as jcsuperstar suggeted.

http://www.do-not-zzz.com/index2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;)
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

meditate under a mosquito net
probably the most used way to combat this problem in the Thai tradition :jumping:

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

salmon

Post by salmon »

Find a different spot.
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

salmon wrote:Find a different spot.
At least during the time of year for those particular insects. Insects always have a season. Its usually fairly short.
I dont think we need to actually add any more distractions to those which arise anyway. :smile:
salmon

Post by salmon »

PeterB wrote:
salmon wrote:Find a different spot.
At least during the time of year for those particular insects. Insects always have a season. Its usually fairly short.
I dont think we need to actually add any more distractions to those which arise anyway. :smile:
Yes, only for the season. We have mozzies all year round!! But they normally appear at dawn and dusk. So instead of insisting that we sit in a spot where the mozzies always visit at that time, we move to another. Saves us the accidental killings when our mindfulness drops, too! :tongue:
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Stefan,
Stefan wrote:I meditate under a tree on a cliff above the sea. During meditation tiny insects crawl on my limbs, neck and head, which is very irritating. Should I bear them with patience and equanimity and not move, or should I wave them away?
I think you would do well to sit in a quiet darkened room away from a multitude of distractions from sitting outside.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Insects have a season, and also a reason why they climb on someone.

Perhaps you are disturbing them, in their territory?

Then sitting elsewhere would be better.

Or you use a mild natural repellent on your skin, many insects don't like lavender.

What type of tree is it that you sit under?

Perhaps it's a tree those insects usually live in or of?

Perhaps all this should show you you better change the location.... :shrug:

Anna
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

Stefan wrote:I meditate under a tree on a cliff above the sea. During meditation tiny insects crawl on my limbs, neck and head, which is very irritating. Should I bear them with patience and equanimity and not move, or should I wave them away?
You should practice metta and wish them well.