How much read?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.

How much of the four great Nikaya-s of the sutta pitaka have you read?

I've read all four nikaya-s.
9%
I have read a substantial amount (25% or greater) and intend to read all four.
18%
I have read a substantial amount (25% or greater) with no firm intention of reading all four.
5%
I have read less than %25 and intend to read all four.
36%
I have read less than %25 with no firm intention of reading all four.
5%
I have no clear idea how much I've read but intend to read all four.
9%
I have no clear idea how much I've read and have no intention of reading all four.
18%

Total votes: 22

Reductor

How much read?

Post by Reductor »

I've noticed a pretty scholarly bent here on Dhammawheel. ;)

And since that is the case, I wondered just how much of the sutta-s everyone has read. I'm trying to read them all but, sigh, there is a lot of material to cover. Still, making progress.

To what extent have you pursued this avenue of study and how far do you plan to go? Why?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I find them inspiring to read and informative, and also a very good defense against the arising of wrong views. Additionally there is a lot of really good information there about the actual practice of mediation and contemplation. Key stuff.

Of course I plan to read all of them.
retrofuturist

Re: How much read?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Thereductor,

I've read the Wisdom editions of the DN, MN & SN... and once Bhikkhu Bodhi's full AN gets published by them, I'll be reading that too.

:reading:

As for the "why"... because they're excellent. Their existence is a blessing to mankind. :thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

Whats about the Khuddaka Nikaya? Ive read most of what is published in english of this overlooked and often forgotten Nikaya.
The Dhammapada, Itivuttaka, Suttanipata, Theragatha,Therigatha,Jataka, Patisambhidamagga, Cariyapitaka, Nettipakarana,Milindapanha and Buddhavamsa, all excellent, all found in the Khuddaka Nikaya.

The Sutta Nipata, Itivuttaka, Dhammapada, Therigatha, Theragatha and Udana are some of the oldest texts in the Canon. While of course some of these,The Niddesa, Patisambhidamagga, Buddhavamsa and Cariyapitaka are later editions, there importance should not be overlooked.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

bodom wrote:Whats about the Khuddaka Nikaya?
Of course you're right about the Khuddaka - it is an important collection, not to mention enjoyable to read. I limited this poll for a couple reasons: 1) the four biggies are very complete in their doctrinal analysis and are more commonly accepted as the 'essential' part. 2) the books of the khuddaka seem more like stand alone volumes than a homogeneous 'book' in the way of the other four, so I wasn't sure if including it would complicate the poll.

Personally, I've read the first five books from this collection and strongly endorse the suttanipata.

Thanks for you post Bodom.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

retrofuturist wrote: Metta,
Really Retro? You've read those? Haha, just kidding.

If you hadn't read them I would have been VERY surprised!

So, how long did it take you to read those first three?
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

I've read all 4 Nikayas + ~6 books of KN + many other works (in part or in full).

I do recommend strongly to read 4.5 Nikayas.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings threductor,
thereductor wrote:So, how long did it take you to read those first three?
Yeah, it took a while. Off the top of my head I would say it took about 2 years, in rather sporadic fashion. With the exception of the DN they were too big for me to read on the daily train trip, so I had to read them at home.
Alex wrote:I do recommend strongly to read 4.5 Nikayas.
The part of the KN I've read have been good, and I'm definitely keen to read the entire Sutta Nipata. I'm guessing that those volumes I'd enjoy least are precisely those which are harder to come across in English translation, and fall into your unstated 0.5.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

retrofuturist wrote:
Alex wrote:I do recommend strongly to read 4.5 Nikayas.
The part of the KN I've read have been good, and I'm definitely keen to read the entire Sutta Nipata. I'm guessing that those volumes I'd enjoy least are precisely those which are harder to come across in English translation, and fall into your unstated 0.5.

Metta,
Right. The more early part of KN are (suttanipata, udana, itivutakka, thera/therigatha, dhammapada). I do also like the readable parts of Ptsm.