Insight practice and Metta-- at once?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
dhamma_spoon

Re: Insight practice and Metta-- at once?

Post by dhamma_spoon »

Hi, RYB -

Your meditation boat is an advanced one [it is equipped with an engine with overdrive gearing, so you don't have to row it!].

I like your linking of MN 99 and MN 10 to MN 117 !

Expanding a little more on MN 117, I think this sutta is unique in the sense that it clearly shows how the mundane 8-fold-path factors may become the supra-mundane factors, e.g. how the mundane right view of an instructed disciple becomes the supra-mundane right view of an Ariya puggala, through repeated applications of right view + right effort + right mindfulness. MN 117 also importantly shows how the four foundations of mindfulness are supported by the previous 6 path factors, and finally how the four jhanas (= right concentration) are supported by supra-mundane right view + right thought (samma-sankappo) + right speech + right actions + right livelihood + right effort + right mindfulness. My discussion of MN 117 over the past several years revealed to me that quite a few Buddhists were confused about the path factors.

So I am glad to finally have found someone who knows what he is talking about! :smile:

With appreciation,

Tep
----
A soup spoon does not know the taste of the soup.
A dhamma spoon does not know the taste of the Dhamma!
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

Hello friend,

One who have the tendencie to byapada, its is better to this one use metta meditation first, then his practice will become more easy.

One who have the tendencie to uddhaccakukkuca, it is better to this use anapanasati first, then his pratice will become more easy.
dhamma_spoon

Post by dhamma_spoon »

Goedert wrote:Hello friend,

One who have the tendencie to byapada, its is better to this one use metta meditation first, then his practice will become more easy.

One who have the tendencie to uddhaccakukkuca, it is better to this use anapanasati first, then his pratice will become more easy.
That is an important consideration. Well put! :bow:

Tep
----
A soup spoon does not know the taste of the soup.
A dhamma spoon does not know the taste of the Dhamma!
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

porpoise wrote:
bodom wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:many people do metta meditation prior to a different mediation practice.
This has worked best in my experience: Metta practice to calm the mind and then switch to anapanasati.

:anjali:
I do a short daily metta practice followed by some shamata, then vipassana later on.

P
I do the exact reverse...Vipassana folowed by Metta Bhavana. Horses for courses and all that.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Goedert wrote:Hello friend,

and for this reason..

:anjali: