The Danger of Rebirth

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ceisiwr

Re: The Danger of Rebirth

Post by Ceisiwr »

You claimed that it was not taught by Buddha but the truth is your own novel interpretation. We clearly don't agree with you.
Please read my posts fully, i offer you that same respect, i have stated the buddha taught rebirth just not the kind you find in the abhidhamma. Do you speak for everyone?

This anti attitude towards the commentaries/Abhidharma is uncalled for, you are just like element, dismissing it just because it supports the rebirth doctrine very strongly.
I am only interested in the buddhas teachings, of dhamma.
In the same way, in the course of the future there will be monks who won't listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata -- deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness -- are being recited. They won't lend ear, won't set their hearts on knowing them, won't regard these teachings as worth grasping or mastering. But they will listen when discourses that are literary works -- the works of poets, elegant in sound, elegant in rhetoric, the work of outsiders, words of disciples -- are recited. They will lend ear and set their hearts on knowing them. They will regard these teachings as worth grasping & mastering.

Rebirth is not concerned with emptiness, rebirth as central to the teachings as supermundane was something that got added later by disciples.
reading it is as good as listening to live teachings from those great elders.
The buddha advised us not to believe something because it is tradition.

You presume everyone who disagree with you that commentaries are the valid words of the Buddha, is mistaken
The buddhas passing was way before the commentaries, he could not have written them.

Rebirth is strongly associated with the first noble truth, along with impermanence and suffering
Where is rebirth in the first noble truth?
"Now this, monks, is the noble truth of stress:1 Birth is stressful, aging is stressful, death is stressful; sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair are stressful; association with the unbeloved is stressful, separation from the loved is stressful, not getting what is wanted is stressful. In short, the five clinging-aggregates are stressful.
Where is rebirth? There is birth, but the higher dhamma is about the birth of self, not rupa, thats why the buddhas dhamma is about emptiness, to realise the folly of self view not about the folly of rupa being rupa. Stop putting words in the buddhas mouth, this will make much de-merit.

Remember the noble truths are supermundane, rebirth is mundane with EFFLUENTS, this is the mixing of the mundane and supermundane i have talked about that leads to much confusion.

there is rebirth and you have experienced it.
There is no me to experience it
Nibbana is not reached until you reached Arahantship
Nibbana is the death of self, of I-making.

He meant literally that everyone have experienced rebirth and monks can recollect them through the traces of attachment found in their aggregates.

They recollect I making in relation to the aggregates, not the aggregates themselves. Dont take my word for it, listen to the buddha

Whatever monks or brahmans recollect their past life in its various modes, they all recollect the five aggregates affected by clinging or one or another of them
Look at this and consider what is the origin of identity?
What does emptiness concern?

If you would be so kind, if rebirth is so important, supermundane, why does the buddha call it right view with TAINTS?

Ignorance comes from taints

Ignorance will lead you to dukkha, not to nibbana.

Also this is not my view, not my own novel teachings but that of the buddha and all who understand the folly of mundane dhamma and the correct understanding of the supermundane dhamma.
Ajahn Chah replied with great force, "Hay, listen! There’s no one here, just this! No owner, no one to be old, to be young, to be good or bad, weak or strong. Just this, that’s all - just various elements of nature going their own way, all empty. No one born and no one to die! Those who speak of birth and death are speaking the language of ignorant children. In the language of the heart, of Dhamma, there are no such things as birth and death."
People don’t study that which is beyond good and evil. This is what they should study. "I’m going to be like this; I’m going to be like that," they say. But they never say, "I’m not going to be anything because there really isn’t any ‘I’." This they don’t study.
Ajahn Chah
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Me: "So, please clarify for me, for an unawakened individual, when he dies, there is no rebirth? No anything? What really happens to him? And how do you know that?

Craig:
This depends on which level you would like me to discuss.

Mundane level one says rebirth,

Supermundane, there is no rebirth. This is the teachings given to those who can understand, the buddhas core teaching.
How about giving a straightforward answer to my questions. No dancing around. Tell us from each level, and tell us how you know.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

First of all sorry if my response was not clear enough :namaste:
Me: "So, please clarify for me, for an unawakened individual, when he dies, there is no rRebirth? No anything? What really happens to him? And how do you know that?
Why do you cling to a sense of self? There is no rebirth. This is truth.

Nothing, what so ever, should be clung to
Buddha
Tell us from each level
The following quote explains both levels in accordance with my understanding.
They said to the Buddha: "500 laywomen have died. What is their future course?" On realizing the significance, the Buddha said: "Bound with delusion & acquisitions, it seems eternal. But for one who sees, there is nothing."
How do I know this, through following the advise of the wise, through practice and contemplation of the here and now, where the truth is to be found and not be just believing what is tradition, what is scripture but through scrutiny of what is taught.

:namaste:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Dear clw_uk,
clw_uk wrote: Remember the noble truths are supermundane, rebirth is mundane with EFFLUENTS, this is the mixing of the mundane and supermundane i have talked about that leads to much confusion.
Your entire argument appears to rest on your assertion that anyone who disagrees with you is confusing the mundane with the supermundane. I don't personally see any confusion between conventional and ultimate language regarding issues such as rebirth in sources that I trust.

It appears to me that you are simply projecting confusion where none actually exists and playing games with language (such as highlighting words like I and me).

Metta
Mike
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Your entire argument appears to rest on your assertion that anyone who disagrees with you is confusing the mundane with the supermundane.
There is no mixing of the mundane and supermundane, e.g. lets take supermundane anatta and mix it with mundane view of self.

There is a self but all things are not self, see what errors it brings to confuse the two

There is emptiness of self but I will be reborn, see the error?

I highlight those words because that is where the error is.

If rebirth can be supermundane then you should be able to answer these questions for me

Why is rebirth called right view with TAINTS?
What are taints a cause of?
Why does right view without effluents not contain teachings on rebirth?
Does the mundane lead to nibbana?
Can the teaching of emptiness of self include teachings or rebirth, of comming again?
Element

Post by Element »

Heavenstorm wrote:It is quite irony that this discussion appears when Venerable Dhammanando is not with us. Anyway..........
Heavenstorm

I do not see the irony.

These discussions have been held countless times previously with Venerable Dhammanando.

The result is always the same.

Kind regards,

E
Element

Post by Element »

puthujjana wrote:The thruth of anatta is fundamental for the buddhist version of rebirth.
puthujjana

It is best to provide some reasoning behind your point.

Regards

E
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Heavenstorm

In relation to Samsara being the birth and death of self, since I doubt you will take it from me how about from a wise teacher such as Ajahn Chah

To become glad, is to be born; to become dejected, is to die. Having died, we are born again; having been born, we die again. This birth and death from one moment to the next is the endless spinning wheel of samsara.

Samsara, as well as dependent origination, is not about the earth, the universe or about physical birth.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... n_Chah.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Element

Post by Element »

Well quoted from Ajahn Chah Craig

This is in essence with the Buddha's teaching, as found in the supramundane suttas such as MN 38.

From delight & clinging, comes birth.

From sorrow & lamentation come death.

From death comes dukkha.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Craig: First of all sorry if my response was not clear enough

Me: "So, please clarify for me, for an unawakened individual, when he dies, there is no rebirth? No anything? What really happens to him? And how do you know that?

Craig: Why do you cling to a sense of self? There is no rebirth. This is truth.

(Namaste; a Hindu greeting acknowledging the shared god with everyone, the atman. The Buddhist greeting would be anjali.)

That I use conventional language does not mean I am clinging to a sense of self.

So, please answer the question, what happens on a conventional level, to the individual who dies?

Craig: Nothing, what so ever, should be clung to?”
Buddha

Okay; however, that does not answer the question.

Me: “Tell us from each level”

Craig: The following quote explains both levels in accordance with my understanding.
They said to the Buddha: "500 laywomen have died. What is their future course?" On realizing the significance, the Buddha said: "Bound with delusion & acquisitions, it seems eternal. But for one who sees, there is nothing."

Would you be kind enough to explain in detail how this not very good translation answers the question on each level.

Craig: How do I know this, through following the advise of the wise, through practice and contemplation of the here and now, where the truth is to be found and not be just believing what is tradition, what is scripture but through scrutiny of what is taught.

And I have not done any of this in my 40 years of practice? Of course, you do not know.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

That I use conventional language does not mean I am clinging to a sense of self.
True, the buddha did it, but one uses convention while seeing the error in it, you do not appear to do this

If you did not cling to a sense of self then you would not argue with me when I say there is no rebirth, it would not cause you such aversion. There is no self to be reborn is there, there is emptiness of self.

So, please answer the question, what happens on a conventional level, to the individual who dies?
Since you seem determined to stay in the mundane and wish to cut yourself off from the truth of emptiness then I will say there is rebirth, as the buddha would have said.

Craig: Nothing, what so ever, should be clung to?”
Buddha

Okay; however, that does not answer the question.
Rebirth should not be clung to, as you seem to be doing

Craig: The following quote explains both levels in accordance with my understanding.

Would you be kind enough to explain in detail how this not very good translation answers the question on each level.
The buddha would have taught they were reborn, but seeing the significance of the moment to teach the supermundane, he taught that there is nothing when they died.

Craig: How do I know this, through following the advise of the wise, through practice and contemplation of the here and now, where the truth is to be found and not be just believing what is tradition, what is scripture but through scrutiny of what is taught.

And I have not done any of this in my 40 years of practice? Of course, you do not know.
Age is not a sign of wisdom, but your right I cannot tell your level of wisdom, but from what your are putting forward you seem to cling to rebirth and so to the mundane.

Everything that i have posted is in accord with the buddhadhamma, the mundane contains rebirth, the supermundane does not,I do not and will not contradict the Dhamma, if you feel i have please show me. If you feel the mundane is in the supermundane please show me, if you feel rebith is supermundane show me where buddha states this, i have used the buddhas teachings to back my point.

Last edited by Ceisiwr on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Craig it would be helpful to provide the citation for those Buddha quotes so that members could refer to their copies and alternative translations.

Just on your last post answering Tilt, I think there is a world of difference between clinging to a concept such as rebirth and defending its place in the Dhamma. The entire Tipitaka is infused with the concept of rebirth. So prevalent is rebirth than one can say that it is central to the Dhamma. The doctrine of kamma or paticca samuppada makes no sense unless it is explained with the aid of rebirth.
The process of rebirth is explained in atomic detail in the 'higher teaching' or Abhidhamma.

I think Craig it would be wise not to fall into the same trap of what you are accusing Tilt of - be careful not to develop aversion to rebirth. The proper thing to do, in the words of many Theravadin teachers, is to 'put it to the side', and continue with your practice. In time, through bhavana-maya-panna, the panoramic vision of 'seeing things as they really are' will reveal to you the true nature of nama and rupa, and this knowledge is beyond concepts.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Ben, and everyone else, I will now provided the sutta quotes that i feel back my point as well as links to where they come from (where I can)

Ive posted this now because it may take me a while to get them all together
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

True, the buddha did it, but one uses convention while seeing the error in it, you do not appear to do this . . . If you did not cling to a sense of self then you would not argue with me when I say there is no rebirth, it would not cause you such aversion. There is no self to be reborn is there, there is emptiness of self.
Wow. And you are the arbiter of these things? Based upon what? If I disagree with you, you tell me I am clinging to a sense of self. This simply making it personal. There is no argument or dialogue in that; there is just you telling me what my motivations are (which is highly inappropriate) and telling me that what my motivations are wrong, which is you setting yourself up as the arbiter of what is what about the Buddha's teaching, but based upon what, who knows.

I would suggest that you knock off all that and deal with the actual questions and ideas put to you. No dancing around the issues. Deal with them in a straightforward manner, which you have yet to do.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

First off All and answer to bens post
Just on your last post answering Tilt, I think there is a world of difference between clinging to a concept such as rebirth and defending its place in the Dhamma
I dont want to remove rebirth from the dhamma, just restore it to its original context, use and meaning.
The entire Tipitaka is infused with the concept of rebirth
Not the entire Tipitaka

So prevalent is rebirth than one can say that it is central to the Dhamma.
This is where my argument comes from, the blurring of the mundane view which contains rebirth and the supermundane which is about dependent origination and emptiness, I will return to this later.

The process of rebirth is explained in atomic detail in the 'higher teaching' or Abhidhamma.
I will address this later as well, as you know i dont hold the abhidhamma to be the teaching of the buddha himself.
I think Craig it would be wise not to fall into the same trap of what you are accusing Tilt of - be careful not to develop aversion to rebirth.
I completely agree with you, i do not avert from it, it is because of the view of rebirth that i started with that helped me understand the higherdhamma and now i see the folly of the rebirth view.
'put it to the side', and continue with your practice. In time, through bhavana-maya-panna, the panoramic vision of 'seeing things as they really are' will reveal to you the true nature of nama and rupa, and this knowledge is beyond concepts.
I would agree but many buddhist dont realise it is a mundane teaching, taught for a reason and not the ultimate truth, to put it to the side doesnt solve it as the view being held does not get addressed, it remains but hidden.

Now for the quotes to back my points

First of all lets start with the misunderstanding of dependent origination as an expanation of rebirth, to save time copying this out again please refer to my last few posts here

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also i would like to bring in the quote of Ajahn Chah here
To become glad, is to be born; to become dejected, is to die. Having died, we are born again; having been born, we die again. This birth and death from one moment to the next is the endless spinning wheel of samsara.

In true dhamma teaching it is about the birth and death of the sense of self.
Through Contact there comes craving, clinging, becoming, birth of self.

That is dependent origination.

Also The four noble truths are not about rebirth, it is higher dhamma, it wasnt taught to the lay remember in the buddhas time.

Now what is right view with effluents
"And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

It includes rebirth, it is good because it enstills morality, it however still leads to becoming, to dukkha it is not release.

What is an effluent? it is a taint
68. Saying, "Good, friend," the bhikkhus delighted and rejoiced in the Venerable Sariputta's words. Then they asked him a further question: "But, friend, might there be another way in which a noble disciple is one of right view, whose view is straight, who has perfect confidence in the Dhamma and has arrived at this true Dhamma?" — "There might be, friends.

69. "When, friends, a noble disciple understands the taints, the origin of the taints, the cessation of the taints, and the way leading to the cessation of the taints, in that way he is one of right view, whose view is straight, who has perfect confidence in the Dhamma and has arrived at this true Dhamma.

70. "And what are the taints, what is the origin of the taints, what is the cessation of the taints, what is the way leading to the cessation of the taints? There are three taints: the taint of sensual desire, the taint of being and the taint of ignorance. With the arising of ignorance there is the arising of the taints. With the cessation of ignorance there is the cessation of the taints. The way leading to the cessation of the taints is just this Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration.

71. "When a noble disciple has thus understood the taints, the origin of the taints, the cessation of the taints, and the way leading to the cessation of the taints, he entirely abandons the underlying tendency to lust, he abolishes the underlying tendency to aversion, he extirpates the underlying tendency to the view and conceit 'I am,' and by abandoning ignorance and arousing true knowledge he here and now makes an end of suffering. In that way too a noble disciple is one of right view, whose view is straight, who has perfect confidence in the Dhamma and has arrived at this true Dhamma."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... html#asava" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rebirth has the taint of either sensual desire, taint of being or ignorance (or all three)

It does not lead to nibbana if held to because you hold to something that is tainted, a taint holds you back
"And what is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path? The discernment, the faculty of discernment, the strength of discernment, analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path. This is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.
No taints, no rebirth view.

What is right view with not taints?
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... html#asava" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Notice the last right view includes the view of taints, one of which is to know the tainted view of rebirth, the taint of and in rebirth. Also notice there is no mention of rebirth, only birth and death but as ajahn chah stated in my last quote

Now onto my point of what the supermundane dhamma, that which if you want nibbana needs to be embraced and understood
So prevalent is rebirth than one can say that it is central to the Dhamma.
It is emptiness
[Mogharaja:]

Twice now, O Sakyan,
I've asked you,
but you, One with vision,
haven't answered me.
When asked the third time
the celestial seer answers:
so I have heard.
This world, the next world,
the Brahma world with its devas:
I don't know how they're viewed
by the glorious Gotama.
So to the one who has seen
to the far extreme,
I've come with a question:
How does one view the world
so as not to be seen
by Death's king?
[The Buddha:]

View the world, Mogharaja,
as empty —
always mindful
to have removed any view
about self.

This way one is above & beyond death.
This is how one views the world
so as not to be seen
by Death's king.
It is not rebirth beacuse rebirth is tainted with view of self, leads to future becoming, to dukkha

Now I dont deny the buddha taught rebirth, but as mundane.

Now I would like to address the abhidhamma and commentaries
In the same way, in the course of the future there will be monks who won't listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata -- deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness -- are being recited. They won't lend ear, won't set their hearts on knowing them, won't regard these teachings as worth grasping or mastering. But they will listen when discourses that are literary works -- the works of poets, elegant in sound, elegant in rhetoric, the work of outsiders, words of disciples -- are recited. They will lend ear and set their hearts on knowing them. They will regard these teachings as worth grasping & mastering.

The abhidhamma and to some extent the commentaries blur the line between rebirth and emptiness, the mundane and supermundane.

Supermundane is concerned with emptiness
mundane is with rebirth

Rebirth was a moral teaching, that is, its concerned with eternalism, not connected with emptiness, not connected with release.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"There is the case where a woman or man is one who harms beings with his/her fists, with clods, with sticks, or with knives. Through having adopted & carried out such actions, on the break-up of the body, after death, he/she reappears in the plane of deprivation... If instead he/she comes to the human state, then he/she is sickly wherever reborn. This is the way leading to sickliness: to be one who harms beings with one's fists, with clods, with sticks, or with knives
See it says HE or SHE will reappear, come again, the same person. Its mundane, wont lead to nibbana because its about self.

Now in conclusion

There is a teaching of rebirth, but it was mundane, connected with eternalism and morality

It is not the central teaching, to hold it does not lead to nibbana

some quotes from ajahn chah again to back my point
The real foundation of the teaching is to see the self as being empty. But people come to study the Dhamma to increase their self-view, so they don’t want to experience suffering or difficulty. They want everything to be cozy. They may want to transcend suffering, but if there is still a self, how can they ever do so?
People don’t study that which is beyond good and evil. This is what they should study. "I’m going to be like this; I’m going to be like that," they say. But they never say, "I’m not going to be anything because there really isn’t any ‘I’." This they don’t study.
rebirth is about good and evil, about being this and becoming that
No one born and no one to die! Those who speak of birth and death are speaking the language of ignorant children. In the language of the heart, of Dhamma, there are no such things as birth and death."
There is no birth, death, rebirth because there is emptiness of self, there is no rebirth

Hope this covers it enough. If there is anything left out please point it out so i can address it.

Last edited by Ceisiwr on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.