minimum to no discipline...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
fijiNut

Re: minimum to no discipline...

Post by fijiNut »

Meditation is something you don't have to do. It should be something that you want to do.
So you have to convince yourself, have some faith in the Triple Gem.
Yes, the Buddha was fully enlightened, yes, the Dhamma was well expounded, and yes, the Sangha has achieved the achieved the aspired results through practice.
Convince yourself that meditation and Nibbanna is the heart of Buddhism, a process of self purification.
Every time you sit, you set a cause for future success, and little by little you chip away at the defilements of the mind.
And little by little you find some more peace and happiness, in yourself which overflows into your work, your friends and your family.
Don't take anybody's word for it, see for yourself.
Only when you see the benefits of meditation (bhavana) for yourself, will you really want to sit (even if your hair was on fire).

Wishing you all the best on the Path,
fijiNut
nathan

Post by nathan »

fijiNut wrote:Meditation is something you don't have to do. It should be something that you want to do.
So you have to convince yourself, have some faith in the Triple Gem.
Yes, the Buddha was fully enlightened, yes, the Dhamma was well expounded, and yes, the Sangha has achieved the achieved the aspired results through practice.
Convince yourself that meditation and Nibbanna is the heart of Buddhism, a process of self purification.
Every time you sit, you set a cause for future success, and little by little you chip away at the defilements of the mind.
And little by little you find some more peace and happiness, in yourself which overflows into your work, your friends and your family.
Don't take anybody's word for it, see for yourself.
Only when you see the benefits of meditation (bhavana) for yourself, will you really want to sit (even if your hair was on fire).

Wishing you all the best on the Path,
fijiNut
We can't deny either that there is nothing that MUST be done. Draw air maybe? If one wishes to live. I am sure you mean as I do that IF one wishes to meditate then one needs to understand how and the Buddha's teachings show us how by studying the teachings. Then IF we meditate will have the opportunity to see if by this means we will see and know in some same way rightly and truly also. As we begin and persist unknowingly we will require some faith that we will see and know better and when we then do see and know better we will be increasingly convinced by this same knowing and understanding.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
freefall

Post by freefall »

I would like to thank nathan and fijiNut for their insights and responding to my request for help. It seems that what you are saying nathan is: It would be beneficial to enter a ongoing meditation of "unidentification". Also since in fact I do believe in the raft of the triple gem (a belief that is not entirely complacent but occassionaly there is activity attempting to disprove the triple gem) that it would be useful to enter into a more knowledgeable/experienced understanding of it. It is true my knowledge is very small, slightly more than an U.S. American pop culture understanding of BUDDHISM. My experience has allowed me to have a good grasp of the first three noble truths. An active appreciation of the 8 fold path, like meditation, is something I have chronically put off with my many adventures in distraction land. I have put off that understanding because from where I sit, i would rather not do the work, but have just one more distraction, which I am addicted to as well as any addict can be addicted to anything. Sadly for me I have too much awareness of the unreality of things coupled with a basic understanding that sweet eternal love is the One, and the One is All. That makes me a hypocrite, and I know it. Because I know it, and know it well, I understand the first three of the noble truths. I am here to recieve encouragement from the Sangha to live up to what are now my responsibilities, since I know certain things. It seems that the best way to move forward here, in light of my addiction to distraction and innate laziness, is to meditate, do what good Buddhists do by observing at least the layman's precepts, form closer ties with the Buddhist Sangha in my area, study formal Buddhist theology and remember not to claim as my identity anything. How am I doing? Am I on the path? Should I be a monk? More to the point, how the hell am I going get off this crazy wheel of cause and effect that my addication to distraction has created? Each moment flies by in distraction but when wrestling with incorparating the dharma and meditation I would rather be dead. If I do manage to do combat with myself and meditate or read Buddhist theology I usually have a mind altering expansive experience. As you can guess I am not an idle curiosity seeker of the Asian secrets but a druggie with potential, different from the other druggies in that I know I am a druggie. Now I am embarassed. Moving on I will mediatate tonight because I am just sick enough of my shit to try again. Sorry about my drama. If it isn't my drama the whose is it?
Peter
Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.
freefall

Post by freefall »

I like the strata of bedrock found throughout the earth reflecting the billions of years. It doesn't lie and everything that is preserved there is a record of geology's change through time. My very last post is particularly humiliating but I will keep it, for at the time it was written, it felt true. If other's delete it, if it is never visited again, it still, in it's limited way existed and is a reflection of my process. I mean no harm to anyone, myself included and in fact wish universal peace for all being everywhere. :buddha2:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

It seems to me you are infactuated with sensual desire

My advice would be to step back, evalutate the reasons that are holding you back from the dhamma, investigate if those distractions really bring benefit or harm.

You say you feel aversion to meditation, ask yourself why, investigate it.

Dont rush investigation, take your time

Also dont be embarrased about your post, there is nothing to be embarrased about.

:namaste:
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
fijiNut

Post by fijiNut »

freefall wrote: Sorry about my drama. If it isn't my drama the whose is it?
Peter
Nobody's drama, maybe your attachment to it.

Freefall, I empathise with your situation, remember to be kind to yourself and don't over-analyse the status quo.
Just recognise there is suffering/agitation/discontent with your life, and then take it from there - start off with generosity and kindness to yourself and your friends around you, fulfil your precepts (importantly stay off the drugs and booze).
Go on retreat, and establish yourself in a meditation technique.
Everything starts off with baby steps.

Be well in Dhamma,
fijiNut
freefall

Post by freefall »

The encouragement I have received is helpful and I appreciate it. Thank you. I think it is useful and what I needed to read. I will now meditate and will attend a Buddhist Monastery this Sunday during open meditation. Thank you again :bow:

Peter