Treating Fleas?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
BobbyC

Treating Fleas?

Post by BobbyC »

A friend of my posed a very good question today that I didn't have a ready answer for: How do Buddhists treat fleas?
I know we, naturally, wouldn't be able to kill them. But at the same time, it couldn't go untended. So what would be the correct method?

Many thanks guys,

Bob
:yingyang:
cooran

Re: Treating Fleas?

Post by cooran »

Hello Bobby,

The thing to do is to prevent a flea infestation happening.

Lots of sites on the internet with good suggestions:

5 Solutions for Natural Flea Control
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/5-solu ... ntrol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
salmon

Post by salmon »

To make fleas and ticks jump off our dogs, we used to use this homeopathic concoction of diluted lemongrass. It doesn't kill them but makes them leave the host coz they hate the smell. Lemongrass is great for shoo-ing mozzies away too! And it's got a nice tangy frangrance :)
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

when i was in Thailand i got some soup with some friends and they told me the reason lemongrass was in the soup is because it keeps the bugs away..
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BobbyC wrote:A friend of my posed a very good question today that I didn't have a ready answer for: How do Buddhists treat fleas?
I know we, naturally, wouldn't be able to kill them. But at the same time, it couldn't go untended. So what would be the correct method?

Many thanks guys,

Bob
Kill them.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

This thread is reminding me of a south park episode...

Anyone remember this one?
(Trailer only)

Watch the entire episode, the ending is very funny.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

tiltbillings wrote:
BobbyC wrote:A friend of my posed a very good question today that I didn't have a ready answer for: How do Buddhists treat fleas?

Many thanks guys,

Bob
Kill them.
Hello Tilt,

Can you say some more please - on how your advice to a newbie fits with the Buddha's teachings of non-harming, keeping the Precepts, and the teaching about rebirth?

with metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

cooran wrote: Hello Tilt,

Can you say some more please - on how your advice to a newbie fits with the Buddha's teachings of non-harming, keeping the Precepts, and the teaching about rebirth?

with metta
Chris
I had mice in my house chewing the wiring, which is an extreme fire hazard and very costly damage to fix. I could have tried to live trap them, but given their breeding potential and the likelihood of not catching them all, I killed them. It was either the mice or my house, dog, cats, lizard, and human inhabitants. Not much of a choice.

As for fleas. The little suckers carry disease, but let us say that one can drive them off of one's body without killing them, where are they going to go? If you are in your house and you do this, it is into the carpet or nooks and crannies where they will go on to to re-infest the inhabitants again. What about lice or scabies or bedbugs? You will have louse picking party where the participants sit around naked picking lice off of each other? Scabies and bed bugs can only be treated by killing them. I am not a big fan of personal live stock, given their potential for disease and great discomfort.

Sometimes we simply have to make a choice to act in such a way that seems to go against the precepts, but remember that life is predicated upon death. It is best we act in such a way to keep the death to a minimum, but death is going to happen by our very fact of living.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

I offer my second Huzzah of the night.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello tilt,

Thanks for explaining. I have to say I am quite shocked. How is this action any different from someone who does not know the Buddha's Teachings.

I live where homes frequently have mice, rats, snakes, possums, cockroaches. At least, mine does from time to time. All of them - all - can be excluded, repelled, caught in humane non-harming traps, or discouraged/prevented from entering the home.

with metta
Chris
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

cooran wrote:Hello tilt,

Thanks for explaining. I have to say I am quite shocked. How is this action any different from someone who does not know the Buddha's Teachings.
You live a life that is completely free of the death of others living creatures?
I live where homes frequently have mice, rats, snakes, possums, cockroaches. At least, mine does from time to time. All of them - all - can be excluded, repelled, caught in humane non-harming traps, or discouraged/prevented from entering the home.
Ideally, one can seal one's home such that unwanted beasties do not get in, but given that we had newly moved into the house and had no idea of mouse potential, we were unprepared for the rodent onslaught, and given the nature and extent of the damage and the number of mice involved, I had no problem with their demise.

alan

Post by alan »

I haven't found any reasons in the suttas to believe we should not kill bugs.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Seems like a perfect opportunity to tell us all about why we should respect the lives of insects. But he didn't do it.
alan

Post by alan »

He used the occasion to teach heedfulness, not respect for bugs.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Tilt said: You live a life that is completely free of the death of others living creatures?
From deliberately killing other beings? Yes, tilt.

Alan, the sutta you quote is about unintentional killing ~ a modern day example would be driving at night and killing insects on the road.

with metta
Chris
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

cooran wrote:
Tilt said: You live a life that is completely free of the death of others living creatures?
From deliberately killing other beings? Yes, tilt.
But given that you know that it happens, you are not free from the death of other living creature.