Favorite Visuddhimagga Chapters

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
convivium

Favorite Visuddhimagga Chapters

Post by convivium »

What are your favorite chapters in the Vism?
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
jcsuperstar

Re: Favorite Visuddhimagga Chapters

Post by jcsuperstar »

i dont have any, what are yours?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

The introduction.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I haven't read it yet, but its on my stack. Likely I'll start in a couple of months... then I'll answer your post.

It is surprising that there hasn't been a post in the positive yet. I thought that the visuddhimagga was popular reading here.
adeh

Post by adeh »

The chapter on the Brahma Viharas, the section on recollecting the qualities of the Buddha and the section describing the jhanas.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Chapter on the

Ten Recollections

Recollection of the Buddha
Recollection of the Dhamma
Recollection of the Sangha
Recollection of Generosity
Recollection of Virtue
Recollection of Deva Virtues
Recollection of Death
Recollection of The Body
Recollection of The Breath
Recollection of Peace

A Meditators Tools: A Study Guide on the Ten Recollections
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/stud ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi thereductor,
thereductor wrote:I thought that the visuddhimagga was popular reading here.
It is with me. I take it just about everywhere I go. Any opportunity to read a couple of paragraphs, I'll pull it out.
Some sections I have read over and over again and I have to admit there are some sections that I have not yet read, and some that I've read only once. The section at the beginning that covers ascetic practices, for instance, isn't a section I'll review whenever I approach a retreat.
While I find the Vism a treasure trove, its not everyone's cup of tea. It is dense in detail and written in an archaic and formulaic style. However, I believe it is worth persisting with regardless whether one's practice is informed by the commentarial tradition or not. Its an invaluable reference and an essential for any Theravadin library.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Ben wrote:Hi thereductor,
thereductor wrote:I thought that the visuddhimagga was popular reading here.
... Its an invaluable reference and an essential for any Theravadin library.
Metta

Ben
I pick it up often and flip through it... but have (almost) held off reading it thus far. It occurred to me that I should have a firm grasp of the sutta pitaka before starting into the commentary. Still, I did read the chapter on ascetic practices and enjoyed that pretty much.

When its time to read it, I'll read it from cover to cover and see what all the hubbub is about.

FYI, I bought it on your recommendation, so I'll be holdin' you responsible if I don't like it. :jumping:

See you around.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi thereductor,
thereductor wrote:FYI, I bought it on your recommendation, so I'll be holdin' you responsible if I don't like it. :jumping:

See you around.
Thanks. Its humbling to know I've made such an impact on you!
And if you don't like it, you're more than welcome to hold me responsibile!
I hope, like me, you get a lot out of it!
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Ben wrote:I hope, like me, you get a lot out of it!
metta

Ben
:smile:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

The bits I've gone back to a few times are the Brahmaviharas (where it's interesting to observe that most modern instructions are based on this) and some of the insight sections. It is particularly useful to have around when reading other material that make reference to it, such as Bhikkhu Bodhi's Sutta Translations, or Ven Analyo's book on Satipatthana.

While it's useful to at least skim through it to get the overall shape, I use it more as a reference. I appreciate the way it summarises what must be experiences of a large number of different Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis and some of their anecdotes are quite amusing...

Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

mikenz66 wrote:and some of their anecdotes are quite amusing...
Don't forget the similes Mike, some of them are amazing!
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

convivium wrote:What are your favorite chapters in the Vism?
Sections on
1) Mindfulness of Death
2) Repulsiveness of Nutriment
3) Contemplation of 4 Elements
4) Some sections in Wisdom part (ex: rise & fall chapters, definition of 12 spheres & 18 elements)
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Panna Bhumi Niddesa - Paticca Samuppada
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

There are many excellent chapters therein and providing one understands the text / words and the meanings…..

5. Purification by Knowledge and Vision of What Is and What Is Not the Path.

6. Purification by Knowledge and Vision of the Way.

7. Purification by Knowledge and Vision.

& The Benefits of Understanding.