Dalit Buddhist movement.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sucitto

Dalit Buddhist movement.

Post by Sucitto »

Namobuddhaya :anjali:

I just read a page in Wikipedia.com which explain about Dalit Buddhist Movement now. It explained that it was born in India by Mr. B.R.Ambedkar.
But actually I can't understand it. Can someone explain me simply?

Anumodana before. :thanks:
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Dalit Buddhist movement.

Post by DNS »

In a nutshell, the Dalits are the untouchable class / caste in India and many of them are attracted to the Buddha's teachings because the Buddha taught against caste distinction and several times mentioned that it is one's deeds, not one's birth or caste that makes one pure or impure.

Their 'movement' is social equality based / civil rights but their philosophy is mostly Buddhist. I say 'mostly' because many of them do not accept rebirth. Maybe they are waiting to understand it experientially, I am not sure, but another possibility is that they do not like how reincarnation / rebirth has been used to justify the caste distinctions.

But they do call themselves Buddhist and appear to be 'mostly' Theravada.

http://www.daophatngaynay.com/english/w ... npreet.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

Sucitto wrote:Namobuddhaya :anjali:

I just read a page in Wikipedia.com which explain about Dalit Buddhist Movement now. It explained that it was born in India by Mr. B.R.Ambedkar.
But actually I can't understand it. Can someone explain me simply?

Anumodana before. :thanks:
The dalits the lowest caste of India system.

The caste system is dived in four:

1 - Priests
2 - Warriors or Governaments
3 - Comerciantes and Artesans
4 - The so called dalits

It is said in the book of the priests that the Dalits were born from the foot of god Brahma.

So the dalits are treated like a "foot", "dirty", from a "distance", a "low", a "inferior", from the other castes.

Th buddhist dalit movement change this autoritative classification, bringing this people the principles of buddhism. Actually, the human rights and western philophy also contributed to many dalits getting in government postes.
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Actually, I think the Shudras are the fourth caste and *then* it's the dalits. I could be wrong though, but I think the shudras are still considered 'caste Hindus'. It's the dalits that are totally outside the pale of caste. The shudras don't get much better treatment though, however.
With mettā,

TG
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

Call them Sudra, Chandala, Nisada, Antya, Bahya, Antyaynis, Harijan, Dalit or down-trodden. They have many classications or nominations as possible.

The Dalit Buddhist Movement has the support of Lanka monks, if I'm not wrong, Bhante Gunaratana did some missionary work with them.

They have 22 vows:
1.I shall have no faith in Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara nor shall I worship them.
2.I shall have no faith in Rama and Krishna who are believed to be incarnation of God nor shall I worship them.
3.I shall have no faith in Gauri, Ganapati and other gods and goddesses of Hindus nor shall I worship them.
4.I do not believe in the incarnation of God.
5.I do not and shall not believe that Lord Buddha was the incarnation of Vishnu. I believe this to be sheer madness and false propaganda.
6.I shall not perform Shraddha nor shall I give pind-dan.
7.I shall not act in a manner violating the principles and teachings of the Buddha.
8.I shall not allow any ceremonies to be performed by Brahmins.
9.I shall believe in the equality of man.
10.I shall endeavor to establish equality.
11.I shall follow the noble eightfold path of the Buddha.
12.I shall follow the ten paramitas prescribed by the Buddha.
13.I shall have compassion and loving kindness for all living beings and protect them.
14.I shall not steal.
15.I shall not tell lies.
16.I shall not commit carnal sins.
17.I shall not take intoxicants like liquor, drugs etc.
18.I shall endeavor to follow the noble eightfold path and practice compassion and loving kindness in every day life.
19.I renounce Hinduism, which is harmful for humanity and impedes the advancement and development of humanity because it is based on inequality, and adopt Buddhism as my religion.
20.I firmly believe the Dhamma of the Buddha is the only true religion.
21.I believe that I am having a re-birth.
22.I solemnly declare and affirm that I shall hereafter lead my life according to the principles and teachings of the Buddha and his Dhamma.

Theyre teaching is based in Theravada Tradition.

Just for curiosity.

We live in a no different system trough.

Examples of the Indo-European Castes:

Indo-Aryan - Brahmin(priests/teachers/scientists/engineers), Kshatriyas/Rathaestar(warrior-kings), Vaishya(traders-craftmen), shudra(workers-labours)
Roman - Flamines, Milites, Quirites
Celtic - Druides, Equites, Plebes (according to Julius Caesar)
Anglo-Saxon - Gebedmen (prayer-men), Fyrdmen (army-men), Weorcmen (workmen) (according to Alfred the Great)
Slavic - Volkhvs, Voin, Krestyanin/Smerd
Nordic - Earl, Churl, Thrall (according to the Lay of Rig)
Greece (Attica) - Eupatridae, Geomori, Demiurgi
Greece (Sparta) - Homoioi, Perioeci, Helots

Then it was replaced into the class system

Modern Times - Ruling classes (Industrial and financial capitalists, landlords), Lower Class (the petit bourgeoisie, the peasantry, wage labourers). Some capitalists can classify this into six, but no matter what, it is the same.
Sucitto

Post by Sucitto »

And how can the dalits leave caste system which just give them suffering?
If the dalits being a Buddha follower, is it the answer of their problem?

Thank's before, with Metta.
:anjali:
Sucitto
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

Sucitto wrote:And how can the dalits leave caste system which just give them suffering?

Sucitto
Greetings Sucitto.

Actually Western philosphy and human rights slogan "every man is equal" is making some dalits study in academics and getting into Power Governamental positions, things maybe will change in the future.

Lets practice metta to the poor, to famine, to abused, to everyone that suffer in that caste system in India.
:namaste:
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

Sucitto wrote:And how can the dalits leave caste system which just give them suffering?

Sucitto
leaving Hinduism and becoming Buddhist does not end the caste system, but what it does say is "I'm not going to be a part of your system or any religion that supports it"
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat