The Buddhist Path to Awakening by Rupert Gethin

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
bodom

The Buddhist Path to Awakening by Rupert Gethin

Post by bodom »

The Buddhist Path to Awakening: A Study of the Bodhi-Pakkhiya Dhamma by Rupert Gethin
It should be read by everyone concerned with Buddhist thought, in whatever school or period." Steve Collins -- Journal of the American Oriental Society Product

An authoritative and critically acclaimed book, in which the author traces the path of enlightenment as it is found in 37 pieces of Buddhist literature, known as the bodhi-pakkhiya dhamma. The result is a thorough and engrossing piece of work, which provides a unique insight into the nature not only of Buddhism, but also the mystic experience generally.

http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Path-Awa ... im_b_4_img" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone read this? Would like to hear what others think of it before I drop $50 big ones to get it. Many thanks in advance.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
tiltbillings

Re: The Buddhist Path to Awakening by Rupert Gethin

Post by tiltbillings »

bodom wrote:The Buddhist Path to Awakening: A Study of the Bodhi-Pakkhiya Dhamma by Rupert Gethin
It should be read by everyone concerned with Buddhist thought, in whatever school or period." Steve Collins -- Journal of the American Oriental Society Product

An authoritative and critically acclaimed book, in which the author traces the path of enlightenment as it is found in 37 pieces of Buddhist literature, known as the bodhi-pakkhiya dhamma. The result is a thorough and engrossing piece of work, which provides a unique insight into the nature not only of Buddhism, but also the mystic experience generally.

http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Path-Awa ... im_b_4_img" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone read this? Would like to hear what others think of it before I drop $50 big ones to get it. Many thanks in advance.

That is why you check out ABE Books: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... g&x=79&y=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gethin's book is worth having, but don't pay $50.00
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
bodom

Post by bodom »

Wow $10 bucks excellent tilt thanks.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
vitellius

Post by vitellius »

It is somewhat similar to "Satipatthana, The Direct Path to Realization" of Ven. Analayo: a deep inquiry into the meaning of suttas and an attempt to reconstruct what Buddha meant by saying his words and how he taught.

This is what may be really called "unusually hardcore Dhamma", - not Daniel Ingram's ideas.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Oleksandr wrote:It is somewhat similar to "Satipatthana, The Direct Path to Realization" of Ven. Analayo: a deep inquiry into the meaning of suttas and an attempt to reconstruct what Buddha meant by saying his words and how he taught.

This is what may be really called "unusually hardcore Dhamma", - not Daniel Ingram's ideas.
You had me at Analayo. :smile:

Thank you.

- BB
alan

Post by alan »

I ordered a used copy of his "Foundations" last week for something like 8 bucks. Thought that would be the best place to start.
bodom

Post by bodom »

alan wrote:I ordered a used copy of his "Foundations" last week for something like 8 bucks. Thought that would be the best place to start.
Where from? Ive wanted this one for quite some time as well.

- BB
alan

Post by alan »

Amazon! I expect it tomorrow. Always make sure to check the 'used' section.
If anyone has read Bronkhurst: Teaching in India or Gombrich: What the Buddha thought, I'd love to hear opinions.
adeh

Post by adeh »

From what I've heard it's $50 well spent, you can read the introduction and a part of the first chapter on Amazon....It's going to be my birthday present....
bodom

Post by bodom »

alan wrote:Amazon! I expect it tomorrow. Always make sure to check the 'used' section.
Im always paranoid to order "used" books because I dont want to get a copy with hi-liter markings and side notes in pen and all that good stuff.
If anyone has read Bronkhurst: Teaching in India or Gombrich: What the Buddha thought, I'd love to hear opinions.
Funny. Ive wanted these two as well. You have good taste in dhamma books. :tongue:

- BB
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

bodom wrote:
alan wrote:Amazon! I expect it tomorrow. Always make sure to check the 'used' section.
Im always paranoid to order "used" books because I dont want to get a copy with hi-liter markings and side notes in pen and all that good stuff.
Well, if you order the $10.00 book from ABE it is far less a deal than ordering a $37 used book from Amazon, but most used booksellers on line will indicate if the book is marked up. I have had no problem with the used books I have gotten via ABE's booksellers.

You can buy it new here:

http://www.vivagroupindia.com/frmBookLi ... ype=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for about $8.00 plus shipping, and still will come out ahead.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

When you go to the used section on Amazon all the sellers list the book's condition. I've never had a problem with the very good or like new designations.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:When you go to the used section on Amazon all the sellers list the book's condition. I've never had a problem with the very good or like new designations.
Neither have I, but look at the lowest prices available on Amazon; as we speak it is $37.00. The $10.00 version available from ABE Boooks would be coming from India, but I have never had a problem with that either. It just take a bit longer, but not like the good old days of a least 3 months.

bodom

Post by bodom »

Went ahead and ordered The Foundations of Buddhism by Gethin on Abe Books. $13 including shipping! Thanks Tilt!

- BB
alan

Post by alan »

Just arrived today. Already has filled in some blanks about the early period. It's an easy read, covers most of what you need to know without getting lost in overly scholastic historical timelines. Just what I needed.
Gombrich anyone? Bronkhurst? Opinions?
I'm eager for more.