deepak chopra ordains in thailand

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
retrofuturist

Re: deepak chopra ordains in thailand

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Goedert,
Goedert wrote:If he is in robes he is deserved and must be respect as such.
I don't know... it would seem a pre-cursor to that would be him having respect for the robes. Is a fortnightly period of ordination with no intention of persisting beyond that time actually respect for the robes?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Temporary ordination is the norm in Thailand and could hardly be seen as disrespecting the robe if taken seriously. A number of members here have been ordained.

As I said, what bothers me is that DC sounds like a complete novice. Those are the sort of thoughts I've had in Thailand when doing things such as accompanying my teacher on alms round (to carry the offerings, which soon get too heavy if you do an alms round in Bangkok...). What he says about how touching that sort of experience is is correct (and I wasn't even the one receiving them directly).

Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Goedert wrote:If he is in robes he is deserved and must be respect as such.

:anjali:
He is no longer in the robes and a bhikkhu, just because because he is wearing robes, is not above criticism, ever.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
phil

Post by phil »

I think it's great, I read his books before I came across the Dhamma, and I left them behind, but they helped at the time. I have no concern about the Dhamma being diluted or corrupted because it already is. If what he writes/says about his experiences brings more people into a big wide gate that vaguely leads in the direction of "Buddhism", more people will eventually make it through the narrow gate into Theravada, I say. :smile:
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
phil

Post by phil »

phil wrote:I think it's great, I read his books before I came across the Dhamma, and I left them behind, but they helped at the time. I have no concern about the Dhamma being diluted or corrupted because it already is. If what he writes/says about his experiences brings more people into a big wide gate that vaguely leads in the direction of "Buddhism", more people will eventually make it through the narrow gate into Theravada, I say. :smile:
Hi again

Kind of related to what I wrote above, I found this from a member TG3(?) in the "Dhamma and my Marriage" thread in the Personal Experience corner. I think it is a good example of how people can be brought to the Buddha's teaching in many different ways.
"May I go off topic for a moment on my own thread? I came across Buddhism in a rather odd way, never imagining the important role it would one day play in my life. Several years ago I saw a news article on a website about the Taliban in Afghanistan destroying a large Buddhist statue carved into the side of a mountain. Having heard about Buddhism through the many years of my life but never having investigated it (I was "areligious," if I may coin my own word), I was curious about the statue and why the Taliban thought it so important to destroy it. I have since surmised the latter but it was in following the links to the former that I began to learn just what Buddhism was all about. I researched it from time to time for a while and about a little over a year ago, I became in my own estimation, "a Buddhist." "

I'm sure Deepak Chopra's writing about his experiences with ordination will lead to even more people discovering the Buddha's teaching than the Taliban blowing up those statues. Well, here's hoping...

And thanks for letting me post your comment out of context TG3.

Metta,

Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)