Zen Vs Therevada

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
convivium

Zen Vs Therevada

Post by convivium »

Honestly Zen seems very similar, orthopraxic like Thai Forest, and I am wondering where it goes off from Therevada. I'm also wondering about other traditions of Buddhism too. Thanks for any clarifications.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
PeterB

Re: Zen Vs Therevada

Post by PeterB »

After quite a long time trying to discover what Zen might be I have to declare that I have no more understanding of it now than I did when I started. Some of its adherents are wont to say that this is proof of its efficacy. I truly don't know.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

How much stuff from the Thai forest have you read, esp. in regards to practice?

Try this small manual for Zen/Zazen that I've been reading and see if you note similarities or differences.

http://www.throssel.org.uk/sitting-buddha-book" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So far the differences seem to be in terminology more than any other thing, but I've just begun learning about Zen and all its ways. The Buddha that is spoken of sounds a lot like the 'original mind' or 'the one who knows'. So far though there is no explanation that the 'Buddha' is also conditioned as we find occasionally mentioned in Thai forest tradition.

In the end I don't know enough about Zen to come to any firm conclusions. But I'm liking.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Throssel Hole priory has its origin in the vision of Rev. Jiyu-Kennett. It is very much mainstream Buddhism. The Sangha keep the Vinaya. The teachings are much closer to Theravada teachings than they are to most Zen teachings , in particular they are very different from Rinzai.
There is no uniform Theravada. There is even less consensus in Zen in my view.
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

At present I know more about Zen than Theravada, however the local Buddhist group is ostensibly Thai Forest, so I'm learning slowly. I think there are similarities. Much Mahayana philosophy can be very intricate, metaphysical even. Zen is a stripping away of a great deal of that, to a meditation-centred practice. To understand Zen you need to practise it, it's not some abstract philosophy. As I see it, the 'disadvantage' of Zen is that it doesn't have much in the way of a coherent agreed theoretical framework (there are several of them), the 'disadvantage' of Theravada is possibly that it can be over intellectual or academic. However, the Thai Forest tradition seems to be very practice-centred.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Interestingly the monks of Throssel Hole are on very good fraternal terms with the Thai Forest monks at Chithurst and Amaravati. They have exchange visits.
I think its worth pointing out that the Zen that the monks of Throssel Hole represent is very different from the "western zen " frequently encountered which often characterised by nihilism.
"I dont exist. You dont exist, Nothing exists. And we will all sit in a classy dojo while we discover that ".
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Just some basic (maybe over-simplified) historical background that no-one has mentioned but some readers may not know:
Mahayana split from Theravada a very long time ago and developed a lot of ideas which have never been accepted as legit by most Theravadins.
Zen diverged from other Mahayana traditions more recently and de-emphasised or threw out a lot of those additional teachings.
That makes it closer, in some ways at least, to Theravada than any of the other Mahayana paths.
It's a path I could happily follow, though Theravada is my strongest preference.
:namaste:
Kim
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Mahayana split from Theravada a very long time ago and developed a lot of ideas which have never been accepted as legit by most Theravadins.

The Mahayana did not split from the Theravada. The Theravadins were not actively part of all of that.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
convivium

Post by convivium »

thanks! what about on levels of virtue, concentration, discernment, and release?
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

tiltbillings wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote: Mahayana split from Theravada a very long time ago and developed a lot of ideas which have never been accepted as legit by most Theravadins.

The Mahayana did not split from the Theravada. The Theravadins were not actively part of all of that.
Hi, Tilt,
I did warn that I might be over-simplifying ... If you feel it could be useful here to be more accurate, go for it, feel free.

Kim
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

PeterB wrote:Throssel Hole priory has its origin in the vision of Rev. Jiyu-Kennett. It is very much mainstream Buddhism. The Sangha keep the Vinaya. The teachings are much closer to Theravada teachings than they are to most Zen teachings , in particular they are very different from Rinzai.
The chap who sits with me has practiced with the Throssel Hole people for some years. The main difference from traditional/Japanese-style Zen is that liturgy, dress etc is Western in style. It is Soto lineage. As I understand, the teachings are fully in keeping with Soto Zen. However, Zen includes the Nikayas as part of their canon. The differences from Rinzai are due to it being Soto lineage.

Peter, real Zen practice often has little in common with the 'stuck in emptiness' metaphysical guff found sometimes on Internet forums. Being primarily a practice rather than a philosophy, I don't think Zen translates well to the Internet.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Many years ago Shonin, I had contact with Zen people through the London Buddhist Society...in those days Jiyu Kennett and MyoKyo -Ni were around quite a bit. They had no truck at all with we "are all already Buddhas and anyway we don't exist and we don't need teachers to tell us so "..in fact they were to all intents and purposes completely mainstream..very much like Ven Nonin on ZFI.
More recently my knowledge of Zen has been indeed through websites, and I don't recognise much of it at all as what Jiyu Kennett and Myokyo-Ni and visiting teachers like DT Suzuki were teaching.
One chap on one website identifies himself as a student of Myokyo-Ni while regularly coming up with stuff that MyoKyo-Ni would completely disassociate herself from..." no teachers, we are all Enlightened blah blah.. "
Those teachers I met all stressed meditation practice, sila, the precepts etc And they each revered the Buddha. If they were aware of If you meet the Buddha on the road etc they didn't make in a central part or indeed any part of their presentation of Buddhism.
I do accept the fact that websites can left to their own devices become a little self selecting in the traffic they attract. Which in the case of Zen websites seems to include a proportion of those who are still working through their anger at mom and pop and by extension all authority figures.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

convivium wrote:Honestly Zen seems very similar, orthopraxic like Thai Forest, and I am wondering where it goes off from Therevada. I'm also wondering about other traditions of Buddhism too. Thanks for any clarifications.

Two major branches of Buddhism are recognized: Theravada ("The School of the Elders") and Mahayana ("The Great Vehicle"). Theravada—the oldest surviving branch—has a widespread following in Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia, and Mahayana is found throughout East Asia and includes the traditions of Pure Land, Zen, Nichiren Buddhism, Tibetan Buddhism, Shingon, Tendai and Shinnyo-en. In some classifications Vajrayana, a subcategory of Mahayana, is recognized as a third branch. While Buddhism remains most popular within Asia, both branches are now found throughout the world. Various sources put the number of Buddhists in the world at between 230 million and 500 million,[3] making it the world's fourth-largest religion.
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

Kim O'Hara wrote:Just some basic (maybe over-simplified) historical background that no-one has mentioned but some readers may not know:
Mahayana split from Theravada a very long time ago and developed a lot of ideas which have never been accepted as legit by most Theravadins.
Zen diverged from other Mahayana traditions more recently and de-emphasised or threw out a lot of those additional teachings.
That makes it closer, in some ways at least, to Theravada than any of the other Mahayana paths.
It's a path I could happily follow, though Theravada is my strongest preference.
Kim
Hello friend,

In fact the mahayana split from the mahasanghika wich come from the fisrt sangha.

Theravada buddhism come from the Vibhajjavada and the last come from Sthaviravada wich comes from the Fisrt Sangha.

Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

The Zen are influenced by the Lotus Sutra. The Theravada are not.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710