When Buddhists get a tick....

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Annapurna

When Buddhists get a tick....

Post by Annapurna »

What would a Buddhist [monk] do, if he found a tick tightly hlding on to his skin? Leave it till it falls off?

Ticks can cause Borreliosis or Lyme disease as well as meningitis, and need to get removed as quickly as possible.

Not always can you save the tick, I've never been able to, and honestly, what for? To multiply?
:thinking:

This is not another fleas thread, mind you.

Ticks are a lot more dangerous than fleas, .... well, since we don't get the plague anymore.... plus you have one for several days, and can get a hold of it.

Or what's up with intestinal worms?
Goedert

Re: When Buddhists get a tick....

Post by Goedert »

I would let him feed until it die.

Why?
This body is just meat, bones and fluids.
Of course would higiene the body to the tick don't proliferate.

Also would practice much metta to him, and be happy that the tick is safe and happy get food from this body.

:anjali:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Goerdert, do you have ticks in Brazil? It doesn't sound like you ever had a tick.

I'm asking because you don't seem to be aware of the massive threat they pose.

If it sits there for days, it will pump dangerous bacteria into your body and make you ill.

If you're ill, you won't be able to work, and sustain yourself, and become a burden for thecommunity, then you live of taxes they paid.

I don't see how that is what a responsible Buddhist would do.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Are you saying somebody who is clean won't get ticks?
Terasi

Post by Terasi »

I just read Ven S. Dhammika's struggle with bed bugs.

I think it's something like this. He killed 3 bed bugs. According to him, if he simply remove the bed bugs:
(1) they will bite someone else because bed bugs can only drink human's blood (at least the species he caught), and that means he inflicts other people, (2) if they are released somewhere far from human, they will die of hunger. (3) can't imagine how many other bed bugs hiding, waiting to feast on Bhante's blood if he didn't do the genocide immediately.

However, he certainly has killed with full intention, so he had a long discussions with people visiting his blog, and with himself.

So Can Killing Sometimes Be Justified?
http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2010/03/o ... d-bug.html

EDIT: In one of the related blogs, he said something about self-defense is not really wrong, or something like that, he had the reasons to support that.
Killing your ticks could fall on this category.
Fede

Post by Fede »

If you spread vaseline petroleum jelly around the mouth area of the tick, where they are attached, they can't breathe, and have to let go, or else they will suffocate.
I removed two such ticks from my dog, and three off a snake, in this way.
I know that intestinal worm eggs are sold to people to accelerate weight loss (tapeworms) and they can be eliminated by drinking a simple worming treatment.

That's absolutely gross to my way of thinking....

I truly cannot tell whether this is a joke or not, but it's not the first time I have heard of such a thing.
It's quite revolting, but the thing is quite a big deal in America owing to obesity being seen as a real problem....

http://www.tapewormeggs.com/
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Thank you all, Fede, let me reply to you first.

I also heard of oil (vaseline) suffocating the tick, so that it will let go, but then I heard later it shouldn't be done, because the tick gets so stressed it will vomit bacteria and then you got em in your body...Plus, mine wouldn't let go with oil.
I only couldn't get a good hold of it anymore--

They let go of my cats if I turned them around. Not of me. Those I had were very small, and i removed them at once, becuase they longer you wait, the more they have a chance to pass on bacteria.

But the how is not so much my point, it is if. Because I always pull the head off, whether I want to or not.

They won't let go, -so.
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Anna,

If your intent is to remove them without pulling their heads off I think it's clear that you didn't intend to kill them. In short, your observance of the precept will remain intact. Metta.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

Annapurna wrote:Goerdert, do you have ticks in Brazil? It doesn't sound like you ever had a tick.

I'm asking because you don't seem to be aware of the massive threat they pose.

If it sits there for days, it will pump dangerous bacteria into your body and make you ill.

If you're ill, you won't be able to work, and sustain yourself, and become a burden for thecommunity, then you live of taxes they paid.

I don't see how that is what a responsible Buddhist would do.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Are you saying somebody who is clean won't get ticks?
In Brazil they are called (carrapato).

The female ticks can walk trough the body and put more eggs, when eggs hatch you get more ticks. So higiene in the body and in the rooms or places is also good to prevent this insects from proliferating deseases.

Buy yes, I would allow a tick suck my blood for his food, I do this with the mosquitos. Wich all them happy and secure.

An interesting fact is that only female mosquitos that need blood for food. Because they need extra energy to produce the eggs. Male mosquitos usually has as food plants and trees liquid.

Kind Regards.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

To allow a tick to suck your blood is totally irresponsible and very dumb. They are carriers of a disease which can cripple you and/or cause you to go blind. What exactly are you trying to prove ? Don't justify your action by referring to Buddhadhamma , because it isnt anything to do with Buddhadhamma.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Anna,

If your intent is to remove them without pulling their heads off I think it's clear that you didn't intend to kill them. In short, your observance of the precept will remain intact. Metta.
Thank you, Khalil Bodhi,

Yes, I always tried to remove them completely, but sometimes the head just stays in.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

The female ticks can walk trough the body and put more eggs, when eggs hatch you get more ticks. So higiene in the body and in the rooms or places is also good to prevent this insects from proliferating deseases.
I don't think we are talking about the same insect. You don't get ticks from a mother on your body making babies. You get one in the forests, and it will grow big and fat drinking your blood for several days, and then it falls off and lays eggs out in nature, preferrably.

Goedert

Post by Goedert »

PeterB wrote:To allow a tick to suck your blood is totally irresponsible and very dumb. They are carriers of a disease which can cripple you and/or cause you to go blind. What exactly are you trying to prove ? Don't justify your action by referring to Buddhadhamma , because it isnt anything to do with Buddhadhamma.
Do not make a distortion what have been said.

In anyway what have been said was adressed to buddhamma. It was just what one person do, not buddhamma.

If you wanna debate something or wanna try to change this view send trough pm.

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Arthritis after tick.
In 90 % of all Borreliose cases, the infection takes place after 24 hours.

That's why it is so important to remove it at once.

You can also get severe neural diseases, like paralisations.

I agree with PeterB, it is silly to let a tick suck on you.

Don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

Gt never happen the expirience of a tick in my body. So don't know how the reactions and results would happen.

But if a infection start occurring it is certainly I would remove him paccicaly.

Just let it go...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Do we need to go any further with this thread?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723