When Buddhists get a tick....

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Annapurna

Re: When Buddhists get a tick....

Post by Annapurna »

I only just started it a few hours ago and you already want to close another thread of mine. It's nice that you ask though.

Please leave it open.

You don't have to monitor this thread, Tilt, if you feel aversion.
Last edited by Annapurna on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Goedert wrote:Gt never happen the expirience of a tick in my body. So don't know how the reactions and results would happen.

infection start occurring it is certainly I would remove him paccicaly.

Just let it go...

I didn't thionk you had one, Goedert.

I had my first tick after I was 30. I was in a forest and when I took a shower in the evening, it was already holding on to me.

An infection usually occurs after 24 hours, and you don't notice it until it is too late and you need heavy medication.

Just read the Wiki link, Goedert, it's interesitng, and you learn more about ticks.

I also started this topic to hear from monks how they would deal with it.

So far none has replied...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Annapurna wrote:I only just started it a few hours ago and you already want to close another thread of mine. It's nice that you ask though.

Please leave it open.

You don't have to monitor this thread, Tilt, if you feel aversion.
First of all, enough with the aversion stuff. It has no place here. Secondly, this thread is already going in circles, repeating itself, and it is offering little that has not already been covered in the flea thread.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Hoo

Post by Hoo »

Leave the thread open, Tilt. I'm Buddhist, live in the heart of tick country and am interested in hearing as many differing views as may present themselves because I have this problem as well. I also have decreased immunity due to my chemo treatment which heightens my interest.

I find it hard to believe that this thread is only about 3-4 hours old and you're asking if it's done. It's not like it's taking up space on the shelf that's needed. Give it a cuple of days for people to even see it, reply if they have one, etc.

Hoo
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Hoo wrote:Leave the thread open, Tilt. I'm Buddhist, live in the heart of tick country and am interested in hearing as many differing views as may present themselves because I have this problem as well. I also have decreased immunity due to my chemo treatment which heightens my interest.

I find it hard to believe that this thread is only about 3-4 hours old and you're asking if it's done. It's not like it's taking up space on the shelf that's needed. Give it a cuple of days for people to even see it, reply if they have one, etc.

Hoo
Pretty much the same ground that has been covered, but if it ticks you off to have it closed, it'll stay open. That does not bug me.
Attachments
chasing_tail.jpg
chasing_tail.jpg (4.75 KiB) Viewed 5087 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

No more meta-discussion. Back to topic, please.

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

tiltbillings wrote:enough with the aversion stuff
That's lovely of you, Sir. :smile:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

My understanding:

- Intentionally killing is unskillful.
- I would not kill a robber to protect my property, understanding that doing so would be creating uwholesome kamma
- My property is anatta
- My body is anatta
- Ergo, I would not kill a tick to protect my body, understanding that doing so would be creating uwholesome kamma

I am, however, far from perfect and deeply deluded with concepts of permanent self and fear of death... so in that situation I probably would kill the tick (regrettably), accepting the unwholesome kamma it creates and knowing I'll 'be the heir to it'.

As I say, I'm not perfect but I want to be. Maybe a better question would be, would an arahant kill a tick to save their own life? I don't think they would.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Hoo wrote:Leave the thread open, Tilt. I'm Buddhist, live in the heart of tick country and am interested in hearing as many differing views as may present themselves because I have this problem as well. I also have decreased immunity due to my chemo treatment which heightens my interest.

Hoo
Thank you, Hoo. You're such a dear. :hug:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

No more meta-discussion. Any further will be removed. Back to topic, please.

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Mawkish1983 wrote:My understanding:

- I would not kill a robber to protect my property, understanding that doing so would be creating uwholesome kamma
- My property is anatta
- My body is anatta
- Ergo, I would not kill a tick to protect my body, understanding that doing so would be creating uwholesome kamma

I am, however, far from perfect and deeply deluded with concepts of permanent self and fear of death... so in that situation I probably would kill the tick (regrettably), accepting the unwholesome kamma it creates and knowing I'll 'be the heir to it'.

As I say, I'm not perfect but I want to be. Maybe a better question would be, would an arahant kill a tick to save their own life? I don't think they would.
I really woud like to hear what our Venerables think about this.

It's crossed my mind each time I discover a tick on me and have to pull it out.

I live in an area with Lyme infections and also meningo encephalitis, caused by ticks.

A good friend of mine is ill from Borreliose.

My brother had it.

I try to remove them alive, but I fail, sometimes, but I did not intend to kill them, so as was said before, the precept is not violated.

Perhaps a Venerable could say something to this?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mawkish1983 wrote:My understanding:

- My property is anatta
- My body is anatta
- Ergo, I would not kill a tick to protect my body, understanding that doing so would be creating uwholesome kamma.
You would kill a robber who was trying to kill you, or trying to kill your family?

You body may be anatta, but to willfully neglect it seems to be a problem. Also, keep in mind, that you cannot live without something dying.

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Test
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

tiltbillings wrote:You would kill a robber who was trying to kill you, or trying to kill your family?
I think maybe ideally no... but I'm a coward. I've never been in this situation, but I'd like to think I would act to prevent the death of either myself or my family. It's a tough problem because I wouldn't say it's okay to kill in self defence and yet I'd probably do it. Hypocrite? Yes, but I believe if there was no conflict in my mind there'd be no progress.
tiltbillings wrote:You body may be anatta, but to willfully neglect it seems to be a problem. Also, keep in mind, that you cannot live without something dying.
All this being true, I simply don't know. Just giving my opinion in it's simplest terms: Killing is wrong but I'd probably do it if necessary. I'd prefer not to, but if I did so I wouldn't try to justify it - I'd accept the kamma created remorsefully.

Does that contradiction make sense?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:You would kill a robber who was trying to kill you, or trying to kill your family?
I think maybe ideally no... but I'm a coward. I've never been in this situation, but I'd like to think I would act to prevent the death of either myself or my family. It's a tough problem because I wouldn't say it's okay to kill in self defence and yet I'd probably do it. Hypocrite? Yes, but I believe if there was no conflict in my mind there'd be no progress.
tiltbillings wrote:You body may be anatta, but to willfully neglect it seems to be a problem. Also, keep in mind, that you cannot live without something dying.
All this being true, I simply don't know. Just giving my opinion in it's simplest terms: Killing is wrong but I'd probably do it if necessary. I'd prefer not to, but if I did so I wouldn't try to justify it - I'd accept the kamma created remorsefully.

Does that contradiction make sense?
Life is hard.