Teachers in South Wales (UK)

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Collective

Teachers in South Wales (UK)

Post by Collective »

Concerning another thread, I was told there's a lot of teachers around my area. However a search only brings up the Kadampa one, which I've been told to avoid like the plague for reasons I'm unaware of. I've searched and can't find anything close by.

Does anyone have any info on this for me, anyone else from the South?

Thank you
PeterB

Re: Teachers in South Wales (UK)

Post by PeterB »

There is Dhamma Dipa in Hereford
Satipanya in Powys , both are Vipassana centres.

There are a large number of Tibetan centres which teach both Vipassana and Shamatha and would be absolutely fine to learn from..you don't need to take empowerment or become a formal Vajrayana student.
They include among many others Karma Dzong in Cardiff, Rokpa also in Cardiff. And many classes taught by the Kadampa in Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Brecon, Monmouth and so on.
The advice you had about the New Kadampa on E Sangha was politically motivated. The Kadampa people are on bad terms with the Dalai Lama, and it really is nothing that someone simply going for instruction in Vipassana ( Vipashnya ) or Shamata need worry about. You would get perfectly good teaching.
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

There is also the Samatha Trust. They have many centers in the UK and their residential retreat center is in Mid-Wales.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Collective

Post by Collective »

Thank you very much for this Peter, I may check it out.

I was also told that they practiced 'odd' rituals. Do you know if this is the case? I'm sorry I have no details but they were quite outlandish if I remember correctly.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Believe me Collective its all politics as is so much in Tibetan Buddhism. This isnt the time or place but there are two sides to the story. Basically the Dalai Lama told them to stop a particular practice because the Tibetan State Oracle ( a man who goes into a trance and reads the future :thinking: said so )
This practice had been practised by the Kadampa for centuries and among its adherents was the Dalai Lamas own tutor..The Kadampa refused to stop practicing it and have been hounded ever since by the Dalai Lamas agents in Dharamsala...there have even been reported murders on both sides.

All of which is pretty tacky all round. But the Kadampa are basically good hearted and more than able to teach Vipassana ( Vipashnya ) and Samantha ( Shamata )..You don't need to get caught up in the other stuff.
You also have an F.W.B.O. centre in Cardiff ( Friends Of The Western Buddhist Order ) and within in their ranks they have some first class meditation teachers. Just avoid the politics.
Collective

Post by Collective »

Thank you Peter, I'll give the Kadampa one another shot.

The others are way too far for me to travel weekly

Thank you again
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Make it clear that you are interested in basic meditation with no frills..
Collective

Post by Collective »

PeterB wrote:Make it clear that you are interested in basic meditation with no frills..
Good point.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I was thinking about what I would do in your situation Collective..do you know I think I would start first by trying out the Cardiff Triratna centre. ( formerly FWBO ) You will find it under Cardiff Buddhist Centre .
They teach anapanasati thoroughly and well.

:anjali:
pererin

Post by pererin »

Hi Collective

I'm in West Wales - also new(ish!) to Buddhism
Collective

Post by Collective »

PeterB wrote:I was thinking about what I would do in your situation Collective..do you know I think I would start first by trying out the Cardiff Triratna centre. ( formerly FWBO ) You will find it under Cardiff Buddhist Centre .
They teach anapanasati thoroughly and well.

:anjali:
Cardiff is a bit too far for me to travel I'm afraid. I'll probably try the Kadampa in Swansea

Thanks though for the help
Collective

Post by Collective »

pererin wrote:Hi Collective

I'm in West Wales - also new(ish!) to Buddhism
Hello pererin, welcome to the site :)