Imagination, Compassion, Awakening

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
christopher:::

Re: Imagination, Compassion, Awakening

Post by christopher::: »

You said:
tiltbillings wrote:
Yes; however, no. It depends. The content is certainly no different, but it is the cultivation of the ability of "stepping back" to look at these things without getting lost in them or investing in them. The ability to do this is part of our "normal" consciousness process, but it needs to be cultivated. What is radical about the Buddha's teaching is that - from start to finish - there is no supernatural thingie or stuff outside or supposedly inside ourselves that we must appeal to, or identify ourselves with or some such business, all of which is a projection and product of our imagination driven by the insecurity of a self that wants to pretend it is something different from what it really is. It is in the ordinary mind/body process that all what we need for awakening is found.
Which everyone agreed was spot on.

So, i was just asking about narrative stories and products of imagination in Buddhism. Are these also diversions from awakening or can they help in the cultivation of compassion and other positive dhamma qualities?

It seemed to me that this relates to Mike's initial questions.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

christopher::: wrote:You said:
tiltbillings wrote:
Yes; however, no. It depends. The content is certainly no different, but it is the cultivation of the ability of "stepping back" to look at these things without getting lost in them or investing in them. The ability to do this is part of our "normal" consciousness process, but it needs to be cultivated. What is radical about the Buddha's teaching is that - from start to finish - there is no supernatural thingie or stuff outside or supposedly inside ourselves that we must appeal to, or identify ourselves with or some such business, all of which is a projection and product of our imagination driven by the insecurity of a self that wants to pretend it is something different from what it really is. It is in the ordinary mind/body process that all what we need for awakening is found.
Which everyone agreed was spot on.

So, i was just asking about narrative stories and products of imagination in Buddhism. Are these also diversions from awakening or can they help in the cultivation of compassion and other positive dhamma qualities?

Now, in one sentence you asked a clear, straightforward question. The answer is, yes.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

tiltbillings wrote:
christopher::: wrote:

Now, in one sentence you asked a clear, straightforward question. The answer is, yes.
Is it so simple though?

:smile:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

tiltbillings wrote:

Is it so simple though?
Obviously the answer is: It depends. Of course we tell ourselves stories, some of which can open up our vision and sometimes they can cloud them.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

:anjali:
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

tiltbillings wrote:What is radical about the Buddha's teaching is that - from start to finish - there is no supernatural thingie or stuff outside or supposedly inside ourselves that we must appeal to, or identify ourselves with or some such business, all of which is a projection and product of our imagination driven by the insecurity of a self that wants to pretend it is something different from what it really is. It is in the ordinary mind/body process that all what we need for awakening is found.
christopher::: wrote:Which everyone agreed was spot on.
Ordinary is the wrong word.

Merriam-webster definition: Ordinary: the regular or customary condition or course of things
2008 Pew Forum Survey on Religion in America
Most Americans believe that angels and demons are active in the world, and nearly 80 percent think miracles occur, according to a poll released yesterday that takes an in-depth look at Americans' religious beliefs. The study detailed Americans' deep and broad religiosity, finding that 92 percent believe in God or a universal spirit -- including one in five of those who call themselves atheists. More than half of Americans polled pray at least once a day.
The following is Tilt's quote in a way that makes sense to my twisted mind:
"The Buddha's teaching - from start to finish - is that rather than the ordinary mind/body process that creates a supernatural thingie or stuff outside or supposedly inside ourselves that we must appeal to, or identify ourselves with or some such business, all of which is a projection and product of our imagination driven by the insecurity of a self that wants to pretend it is something different from what it really is --- rather than that, it is a radical, out-of-the-ordinary mind/body process that we need for awakening."
tiltbillings wrote:.. Of course we tell ourselves stories, some of which can open up our vision and sometimes they can cloud them.
"Right" imagination is needed for the radical, out-of-the-ordinary process - "wrong" imagination for the ordinary thingies/stuff.

I should know - if they gave terminal degrees for "wrong imagination", i'd think myself a candidate for an honorary PhD.

Metta
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Anicca wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:What is radical about the Buddha's teaching is that - from start to finish - there is no supernatural thingie or stuff outside or supposedly inside ourselves that we must appeal to, or identify ourselves with or some such business, all of which is a projection and product of our imagination driven by the insecurity of a self that wants to pretend it is something different from what it really is. It is in the ordinary mind/body process that all what we need for awakening is found.
christopher::: wrote:Which everyone agreed was spot on.
Ordinary is the wrong word.

Merriam-webster definition: Ordinary: the regular or customary condition or course of things
Wrong word? Not at all.

alan

Post by alan »

It does seem the word "ordinary" was pulled inappropriately out of context. But I do share Annica's frustration in not being able to get to the essence of Tilt's reply. Maybe I should re-examine the question.
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

tiltbillings wrote:Wrong word? Not at all.
Well, it is your word and it is presumptuous of me to call it wrong for you - but for myself samara is the regular or customary condition or course of things, ordinary if you wilI.

It is the right word for you but the wrong word for me.

Can we both be right?

Metta
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:It does seem the word "ordinary" was pulled inappropriately out of context. But I do share Annica's frustration in not being able to get to the essence of Tilt's reply. Maybe I should re-examine the question.
As I asked you before: What is it that you do not "get?"

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Anicca wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Wrong word? Not at all.
Well, it is your word and it is presumptuous of me to call it wrong for you - but for myself samara is the regular or customary condition or course of things, ordinary if you wilI.
And it is that which is basis for awakening. What else would there be?

Anicca

Post by Anicca »

tiltbillings wrote:And it is that which is basis for awakening. What else would there be?
Well, as you said, the radical teachings of the Buddha, which to me, teach a radical process - the cessation of suffering - far from ordinary.

Metta .
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Anicca wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:And it is that which is basis for awakening. What else would there be?
Well, as you said, the radical teachings of the Buddha, which to me, teach a radical process - the cessation of suffering - far from ordinary.
That is the result, but the stuff used to get there is: My friend, I do proclaim that in this very fathom-long body, with its feelings and mind, is the world, the world's arising, the world's ceasing and the path leading to the world's ceasing.' - AN II 48.

Anicca

Post by Anicca »

tiltbillings wrote:That is the result, but the stuff used to get there is: My friend, I do proclaim that in this very fathom-long body, with its feelings and mind, is the world, the world's arising, the world's ceasing and the path leading to the world's ceasing.' - AN II 48.
I see your point.
Metta
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Anicca wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:That is the result, but the stuff used to get there is: My friend, I do proclaim that in this very fathom-long body, with its feelings and mind, is the world, the world's arising, the world's ceasing and the path leading to the world's ceasing.' - AN II 48.
I see your point.
Thanks. The next thing I would have done is start quoting the Satipatthana Sutta.