Good Music

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Thaibebop

Good Music

Post by Thaibebop »

Hello everyone,
I always love talking about and sharing music. It's one of those things that everyone enjoys and can talk about and there is always something share. So, I thought I would start a thread where we could talk about our favorites, give suggestions and if you have a link, to like Youtube or something that we could listen to the music, we could post that here as well.

Here is one band I really love. They are from Thailand and have a horrible name, Big A##, but the name is very misleading. This song is very sappy, but I like sappy. Sorry, I don't have an english translation, but I don't think you need one. The video is pretty clear about the meaning of song. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Modus.Ponens

Re: Good Music

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Hi thaibebop

Since you seem to like the piano, check this out:

If you like it, there is more I can link to.

Metta
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Thanks, I like him. He reminds me of one of my favorite Jazz artists, Keiko Matsui.

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Rather than post anything here, I'll just cross-link to the..

Retro's Rockers
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... topic where I'm counting down my 100 favourite bands and musicians.

:twisted:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Rather than post anything here, I'll just cross-link to the..

Retro's Rockers
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... topic where I'm counting down my 100 favourite bands and musicians.

:twisted:

Metta,
Retro. :)
Cool, I was wondering what that thread was, should've looked first.
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Michael Franti & Spearhead, love everything they do.
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Thaibebop, that first Thai video was great. I like the ending, a blind girl teaching those with sight to see with their hearts? I'm just guessing that metta is the primary message of the song. And i'm listening to Michael Franti now, and agree, really excellent...

Thanks also Retro, for starting your thread, and Modus.Ponens for sharing Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert. I was just telling a friend about Jarrett today and mentioned that album. If one wants to investigate Jarrett's piano playing the Koln Concert is a great place to start.

Wonderful flute playing in that last Keiko Matsui video.

Have you ever listened to Coyote Oldman?

I've always enjoyed jazz music, especially from the 1950's and 60's... Here's a youtube video i made for "All the Things You Are" as recorded by Art Pepper & band on November 26, 1956. Love they way the notes of the players almost seem to be dancing together, especially near the end...

:smile:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Hey Chris, love these videos. I can't say that I have heard of Coyote Oldman, but I have heard music like that, so I might have been listening to him and not knowing it. Your vid with Art is awesome. I am a huge fan of 50's/60's jazz. When I was about 7 or 8 years old I was given some money for my birthday and I wanted new cassette tapes. I bought the Greatest Hits of Charlie Parker.

One of my favorite albums from that time era is the Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich album. Such wildly creative music, I found this video of them performing together, enjoy!
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

The Jazz talk made me think of one of my all time favorite jazz influenced trios. I say influenced as there was some blues in there to. Morphine was one of coolest bands until the lead singer and bass player Mark Sandman died. they don't sound like the jazz already talked about but they feel like for sure. I really miss them.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thaibebop wrote:The Jazz talk made me think of one of my all time favorite jazz influenced trios. I say influenced as there was some blues in there to. Morphine was one of coolest bands until the lead singer and bass player Mark Sandman died. they don't sound like the jazz already talked about but they feel like for sure. I really miss them.
From what I heard he died on stage in Italy. I watched their concert in Lisbon, during Expo 98. Very cool. Here goes another one:

'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Yes, Sandman died on stage of a heart attack. It really bummed me out. I was happy that there was enough recorded material left to do one more album. The Night was their last.

Very nice sound to Morphine, but it does concern me that so many musicians seem to have struggled with hard drugs. Art Pepper, who I linked earlier, was addicted to heroin most of his adult life. He created brilliant music, but at what cost?

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

christopher::: wrote:Very nice sound to Morphine, but it does concern me that so many musicians seem to have struggled with hard drugs. Art Pepper, who I linked earlier, was addicted to heroin most of his adult life. He created brilliant music, but at what cost?

Mark Sandman didn't have a problem with drugs, unless you count cigarettes, because I think he smoked. The name of the band came from the words connection to Morpheus, god of dreams. The band wanted to have a very dream like quality. So, I believe his heart attack came more from hard living not the use of hard drugs.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Lets change for a bit the focus to indian music. L. Shankar in this brilliant excerpt of his album Raga Aberi (not his best one though):

Love Shankar's music. Have you heard some of his daughter's collaborations?

With Herbie Hancock...

Live in India with Jethro Tull, Locomotive Breath (excuse the poor sound quality, if you like J. Tull, its really worth watching)....

And with her Dad...

P.S. Thaibebop- sorry, i jumped to conclusions there. Two of my favorite musicians- Jerry Garcia & Art Pepper-- did have long-term struggles with hard drugs. Many other great musicians had problems or died from drugs or alcohol, so its something i've always been aware of...

:anjali: