UK Summer Meditation retreat

Includes our Terms Of Service (please read first)

UK Summer Meditation retreat

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:17 pm

Dear Dhamma friends,

I would like to announce a 12 day silent retreat in Bromley, UK organised by the Thames Buddhist Vihara meditation group. I am conducting it (somewhat inappropriate in my announcement but no other way around it). This is the second retreat we have organised. It will be based on 8-10 precepts, samatha (jhana), yonisomanasikara and vipassana. Each participant will be given personal meditation instructions (kamatahan) daily to monitor, review and guide practice. This retreat is based on Ven Amathagavesi's method of meditation retreats, which added the practice of jhana and appropriate contemplation (yonisomanasikara) to a style vipassana which is Mahasi derivative.

Meals will be limited to twice a day (morning and noon). Noble Silence will be maintained. Mindfulness right through the day is encouraged. The programme begins at 5am and ends at 9.30pm. There are 4 compulsory group walking and sitting periods scattered through the day. A practitioner will practice a minimum of 6 hours and a maximum of 17 (or more?) hours of meditation a day. Many participants had positive outcomes in the first retreat based on based on personal interviews.

There is a cost involved for catering and accommodation (£30 per day X 12 = £360). We have a few places left so I wanted to give the opportunity to someone who might benefit.

Dates: 22nd August (sunday) to 3rd September (friday)
Venue: http://www.emmauscentre.org.uk/index.html#

with metta

Matheesha (aka RYB)
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Re: UK Summer Meditation retreat

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:05 am

Thanks for letting us know, RYB.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: UK Summer Meditation retreat

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks, we are fully booked now.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Return to Announcements