Visuddhimagga Copy?

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Visuddhimagga Copy?

Postby theravada_guy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:11 am

Greetings all,

I was wondering where I can obtain an affordable and reliable English translation of the Visuddhimagga? I looked on Pariyatti under the PTS section, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Re: Visuddhimagga Copy?

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:34 am

Hi,

You probably want Ven Nanamoli's translation from BPS (not PTS, their translation is very old):
http://www.bps.lk
(However, I can't connect to that web site right now).

Here it is at other places:
http://www.amazon.com/Purification-Vipa ... 1928706010
http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9781 ... rification

However, Nyanatusita from BPS posted here last year to say that there would be a new printing soon.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... =20#p32156

Mike
mikenz66

Postby lojong1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:14 am

There are free pdf copies floating around the web.
My hardcover was published by Singapore Buddhist Meditation Centre, reprinted and donated for free distribution by the Corporate Body of the Buddha Educational Foundation, and cost me $40 at a used book store.
abebooks.com sellers have had it.
You'd think the old masterpieces would also be in libraries, but normally they aren't.
lojong1

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:22 am

lojong1 wrote:There are free pdf copies floating around the web.
My hardcover was published by Singapore Buddhist Meditation Centre, reprinted and donated for free distribution by the Corporate Body of the Buddha Educational Foundation, and cost me $40 at a used book store.
abebooks.com sellers have had it.

Yes, see the comments by BPS about the various copies here:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... =20#p32156

$40 sounds expensive, expecially for a free printing... My BPS version that I bought new would have been less than that, I think...
Here it is 21 UK pounds, shipped to most places:
http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9781 ... rification

Mike
mikenz66

Postby theravada_guy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks guys. I didn't know BPS had a translation. I was only familiar with the PTS one. I'll have a look at the links.
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:58 pm

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby mettafuture » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:06 pm

"Transcription Update: According to the BPS, Ñanamoli's "Path of Purification" (a translation of Buddhaghosa's "Visuddhimagga"), which was transcribed by ATI volunteers in 2005-2007, should be ready for free distribution on ATI in "a few months". Stay tuned!"
-- Access to Insight on Facebook
mettafuture

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:10 pm

mettafuture wrote:"Transcription Update: According to the BPS, Ñanamoli's "Path of Purification" (a translation of Buddhaghosa's "Visuddhimagga"), which was transcribed by ATI volunteers in 2005-2007, should be ready for free distribution on ATI in "a few months". Stay tuned!"

Wow that's excellent! Thanks for posting!

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:24 pm

Hmm, Many of these are much more expensive than a new copy...

mettafuture wrote:"Transcription Update: According to the BPS, Ñanamoli's "Path of Purification" (a translation of Buddhaghosa's "Visuddhimagga"), which was transcribed by ATI volunteers in 2005-2007, should be ready for free distribution on ATI in "a few months". Stay tuned!"

Good to hear that this is coming along. It will be great to have a searchable copy..

Mike
mikenz66

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:37 pm

mikenz66 wrote:

Hmm, Many of these are much more expensive than a new copy...

Pariyatti, BPS North American retailer has them for $59.95, $35 more than the lowest priced copy at ABE Books. Considering I paid the full $60 for my copy from Pariyatti, I find the $25 price tag to be a deal!

:anjali:
bodom

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 pm

Really? as I said above, Amazon's price was about $30 and TheBookDepository about 20 pounds...

I think I probably paid about 35 USD in a Hong Kong store...

Mike
mikenz66

Return to Theravāda for the modern world