The Buddhist Path to Awakening by Rupert Gethin

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

The Buddhist Path to Awakening by Rupert Gethin

Postby bodom » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:04 pm

The Buddhist Path to Awakening: A Study of the Bodhi-Pakkhiya Dhamma by Rupert Gethin

It should be read by everyone concerned with Buddhist thought, in whatever school or period." Steve Collins -- Journal of the American Oriental Society Product

An authoritative and critically acclaimed book, in which the author traces the path of enlightenment as it is found in 37 pieces of Buddhist literature, known as the bodhi-pakkhiya dhamma. The result is a thorough and engrossing piece of work, which provides a unique insight into the nature not only of Buddhism, but also the mystic experience generally.

http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Path-Awa ... im_b_4_img

Has anyone read this? Would like to hear what others think of it before I drop $50 big ones to get it. Many thanks in advance.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Re: The Buddhist Path to Awakening by Rupert Gethin

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:12 pm

bodom wrote:The Buddhist Path to Awakening: A Study of the Bodhi-Pakkhiya Dhamma by Rupert Gethin

It should be read by everyone concerned with Buddhist thought, in whatever school or period." Steve Collins -- Journal of the American Oriental Society Product

An authoritative and critically acclaimed book, in which the author traces the path of enlightenment as it is found in 37 pieces of Buddhist literature, known as the bodhi-pakkhiya dhamma. The result is a thorough and engrossing piece of work, which provides a unique insight into the nature not only of Buddhism, but also the mystic experience generally.

http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Path-Awa ... im_b_4_img

Has anyone read this? Would like to hear what others think of it before I drop $50 big ones to get it. Many thanks in advance.

That is why you check out ABE Books: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... g&x=79&y=7

Gethin's book is worth having, but don't pay $50.00
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby bodom » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:17 pm

Wow $10 bucks excellent tilt thanks.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby vitellius » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:47 pm

It is somewhat similar to "Satipatthana, The Direct Path to Realization" of Ven. Analayo: a deep inquiry into the meaning of suttas and an attempt to reconstruct what Buddha meant by saying his words and how he taught.

This is what may be really called "unusually hardcore Dhamma", - not Daniel Ingram's ideas.
vitellius

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:11 am

Oleksandr wrote:It is somewhat similar to "Satipatthana, The Direct Path to Realization" of Ven. Analayo: a deep inquiry into the meaning of suttas and an attempt to reconstruct what Buddha meant by saying his words and how he taught.

This is what may be really called "unusually hardcore Dhamma", - not Daniel Ingram's ideas.

You had me at Analayo. :smile:

Thank you.

bodom

Postby alan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:09 am

I ordered a used copy of his "Foundations" last week for something like 8 bucks. Thought that would be the best place to start.
alan

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:12 am

alan wrote:I ordered a used copy of his "Foundations" last week for something like 8 bucks. Thought that would be the best place to start.

Where from? Ive wanted this one for quite some time as well.

bodom

Postby alan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:20 am

Amazon! I expect it tomorrow. Always make sure to check the 'used' section.
If anyone has read Bronkhurst: Teaching in India or Gombrich: What the Buddha thought, I'd love to hear opinions.
alan

Postby adeh » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:21 am

From what I've heard it's $50 well spent, you can read the introduction and a part of the first chapter on Amazon....It's going to be my birthday present....
adeh

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:41 am

alan wrote:Amazon! I expect it tomorrow. Always make sure to check the 'used' section.

Im always paranoid to order "used" books because I dont want to get a copy with hi-liter markings and side notes in pen and all that good stuff.

If anyone has read Bronkhurst: Teaching in India or Gombrich: What the Buddha thought, I'd love to hear opinions.

Funny. Ive wanted these two as well. You have good taste in dhamma books. :tongue:

bodom

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:55 am

bodom wrote:
alan wrote:Amazon! I expect it tomorrow. Always make sure to check the 'used' section.

Im always paranoid to order "used" books because I dont want to get a copy with hi-liter markings and side notes in pen and all that good stuff.
Well, if you order the $10.00 book from ABE it is far less a deal than ordering a $37 used book from Amazon, but most used booksellers on line will indicate if the book is marked up. I have had no problem with the used books I have gotten via ABE's booksellers.

You can buy it new here:

http://www.vivagroupindia.com/frmBookLi ... ype=Search

for about $8.00 plus shipping, and still will come out ahead.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby alan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:39 pm

When you go to the used section on Amazon all the sellers list the book's condition. I've never had a problem with the very good or like new designations.
alan

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:19 pm

alan wrote:When you go to the used section on Amazon all the sellers list the book's condition. I've never had a problem with the very good or like new designations.
Neither have I, but look at the lowest prices available on Amazon; as we speak it is $37.00. The $10.00 version available from ABE Boooks would be coming from India, but I have never had a problem with that either. It just take a bit longer, but not like the good old days of a least 3 months.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby bodom » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:08 am

Went ahead and ordered The Foundations of Buddhism by Gethin on Abe Books. $13 including shipping! Thanks Tilt!

bodom

Postby alan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:13 am

Just arrived today. Already has filled in some blanks about the early period. It's an easy read, covers most of what you need to know without getting lost in overly scholastic historical timelines. Just what I needed.
Gombrich anyone? Bronkhurst? Opinions?
I'm eager for more.
alan

Postby bodom » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:39 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
bodom wrote:

Well, if you order the $10.00 book from ABE it is far less a deal than ordering a $37 used book from Amazon, but most used booksellers on line will indicate if the book is marked up. I have had no problem with the used books I have gotten via ABE's booksellers.

Well my copy of Foundations of Buddhism arrived today containing the pen and highlighting I knew it would. The ad said it was in "great shape!" with no mention of markings. No more used books for me!

bodom

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:02 pm

bodom wrote:
Well my copy of Foundations of Buddhism arrived today containing the pen and highlighting I knew it would. The ad said it was in "great shape!" with no mention of markings. No more used books for me!

If you ordered via ABE can complain, but do make sure you give the bookseller a very poor rating, but at least you did not pay $50.00 for it..
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:15 pm

Cheer up Bodom,

On a radio programme I was listening to yesterday, it was pointed out that marginal notes, etc, used to raise the value of books. Especially marginal translations of Greek and Latin passages... :tongue:

That book is in our library, so after finding Gethin's The Foundations of Buddhism very helpful (thanks Tilt!), which was also in our library, I'll check it out...

Mike
mikenz66

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:20 pm

One can buy it from the publisher in India for about new (obviuously) for about ten bucks, as I pointed out above, or pay $50.00 on Amazon or take your chance with a used book.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby beeblebrox » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:02 pm

The underlinings (or highlighting) are definitely annoying... especially when they seem to be irrelevant, compared to the ones that were not underlined. :thinking:
beeblebrox

Next

Return to Lounge