Meditation Warmup?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Do you have a regular warm-up for meditation?

Yes
22%
No
56%
Depends
22%

Total votes : 9

Meditation Warmup?

Postby AdvaitaJ » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:58 pm

For the last few months, I've used a pyramid breath-counting routine (1-10-1, 1-9-1, 1-8-1, etc) as my regular warm-up. I've read that some people stretch or do yoga. Sometimes though, I feel like I don't need to spend that much time getting still. Other times, it seems like I could substitute 100 for 10 in my count and it still wouldn't be enough. Curious to see what others do...or don't do.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
AdvaitaJ

Re: Meditation Warmup?

Postby Jechbi » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:31 pm

I was going to say "jumping jacks," but then I decided not to be a smarta**. :embarassed:

Seriously, tho, I voted "no," but only based on a narrow reading of the question. More broadly speaking, the only reasonable answer is "yes," I think, because sila is a crucial warmup for any meditation practice.

But on another level, I'm not sure how a person can draw a clear distinction between the "warmup" and the "meditation." Some of the warmups that you have described sound like forms of meditation to me.

:meditate:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:26 pm

Personally I start with walking meditation unless there's some really good reason not to (like lack of any space to walk...). I notice that if I sit in with a group that doesn't walk I generally don't get as far with an hour of sitting as I normally do with 1/2 hour walking 1/2 hour sitting. Of course, that's somewhat influenced by the technique I use, so clearly wouldn't apply to everyone.

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:33 pm

Same here for me

Jechbi wrote:I was going to say "jumping jacks," but then I decided not to be a smarta**. :embarassed:

Seriously, tho, I voted "no," but only based on a narrow reading of the question. More broadly speaking, the only reasonable answer is "yes," I think, because sila is a crucial warmup for any meditation practice.

But on another level, I'm not sure how a person can draw a clear distinction between the "warmup" and the "meditation." Some of the warmups that you have described sound like forms of meditation to me.

:meditate:
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to Theravada Meditation