Buddha is fake

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

Re: Buddha is fake

Postby PeterB » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:39 pm

I did not comment on Fabianfred's tale. I was offering an explanation for the reactions of those who did.
PeterB

Postby bodom » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:45 pm

PeterB wrote:I did not comment on Fabianfred's tale. I was offering an explanation for the reactions of those who did.

I wasn't singling you out Peter. I was offering a "solution" to those who are reacting over a simple story.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby MJH » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:07 pm

Just so people know, I believe that fabianfred has ordained.

I want to ordain..but....debt

Just something to keep in mind when and how we address him. :namaste:
MJH

Postby bodom » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:15 pm

MJH wrote:Just so people know, I believe that fabianfred has ordained.

I want to ordain..but....debt

Just something to keep in mind when and how we address him. :namaste:

Thank you for pointing that out MJH.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:16 am

i like folksy stories... Thai forest ajahns are full of them, but maybe some readers consider themselves a superior to rural Thai folk, shame, all that self making. ;)
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Sobeh » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:32 am

jcsuperstar wrote:superior to rural Thai folk

The critique is against a method of reasoning, not against a group of people. Your statement is a very disingenuous rendering of the claim.
Sobeh

Postby alan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:54 am

Whether or not he has ordained doesn't matter much. The story is boring and pointless.
alan

Postby Mawkish1983 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:48 am

The Buddha told plenty of stories with really good Dhammic messages, like the mustard seed. I just don't see the point for a story such as this: not from the cannon, not teaching wholesomeness, adhammic.

I just don't get it and I still don't understand what 'Buddha is fake' even means.

I guess I'm not the target audience.
Mawkish1983

Postby MJH » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:37 pm

alan wrote:Whether or not he has ordained doesn't matter much. The story is boring and pointless.

Well..... maybe it is, maybe it isn't. That is up to each individual. However, it is important that we respond to monks with respect. And just for the record, I am not singling anyone out. I just wanted it to be known. It seemed that people were getting upset and I didn't want anyone to respond in a manner that they would regret later.
MJH

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:37 am

we should probably just treat everyone here with respect, :group:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:20 am

Don't feel too bad--humor or metaphorical allegories don't sit well with this literal -minded bunch. I once posted a humorous anecdote about seeing a guy dressed as Jesus walking down the side of the road at 3 AM and the thread immediately devolved into microanalyses of religious points of view. I've just about given up on this forum. It seems to have attracted the anhedoniacs of the Buddhist world. Which is too bad, I've found the longer I've practiced the more I've learned to as they say, lighten up. May all sentient beings find something to laugh about once in a while. :namaste:

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
BubbaBuddhist

Postby Mawkish1983 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:12 am

I was taught from an early age to question what I don't understand. I don't understand this story, so I questioned it. I meant no disrespect and apologise if the way in which my posts are read does not match my intention.

So back to the story, what does 'Buddha is fake' mean? Does it mean that Nibbana is unobtainable and, if so, how does anecdotal evidence of reincarnation suggest that Nibbana is obtainable?

Respectfully, I just don't get it.
Mawkish1983

Postby pilgrim » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:21 am

So much heat over a little folk tale. Is this Defilement season or what?
pilgrim

Postby Mawkish1983 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:27 am

No heat, I just don't get it and am eagerly awaiting clarification :)
Mawkish1983

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:27 am

Hi J,
Bubbabuddhist wrote:It seems to have attracted the anhedoniacs of the Buddhist world. Which is too bad, I've found the longer I've practiced the more I've learned to as they say, lighten up. May all sentient beings find something to laugh about once in a while. :namaste:

Thanks for extending my vocabulary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia :rolleye:

Mike
mikenz66

Postby sid » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Mawkish1983 wrote:I was taught from an early age to question what I don't understand. I don't understand this story, so I questioned it. I meant no disrespect and apologise if the way in which my posts are read does not match my intention.

So back to the story, what does 'Buddha is fake' mean? Does it mean that Nibbana is unobtainable and, if so, how does anecdotal evidence of reincarnation suggest that Nibbana is obtainable?

Respectfully, I just don't get it.

All that the young monk could see was his elder's suffering, in spite of his wholesome actions, which he performed for the whole of his life.
So in his view the wholesome actions didn't lead to wholesome results.
This directly means(to him) that the law of karma as told by the Buddha doesn't hold good.
It then implies that the noble 8th fold path, which is based on purifying one's conduct by doing wholesome actions, which would then lead to gradual lessening of suffering uptill nibbana doesn't hold good too.
Since now the path doesn't lead to nibbanna (to him), therefore the person who first prescribed it can't have the attributes of a Buddha.
So whoever first declared the path was a "fake Buddha", ie Buddha only in the name, not in conduct & attributes.

I hope this answers your question.

bodom wrote:In the "read" is only the "read"..thus should you train yourselves Dhammawheel members. When for you there will be only the "read" in the "read" then, Dhammawheel members, there is no you in terms of that. When there is no you in terms of that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."

:clap:
You nailed it bodom.
sid

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:54 am

mikenz66 wrote:Hi J,
Bubbabuddhist wrote:It seems to have attracted the anhedoniacs of the Buddhist world. Which is too bad, I've found the longer I've practiced the more I've learned to as they say, lighten up. May all sentient beings find something to laugh about once in a while. :namaste:

Thanks for extending my vocabulary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia :rolleye:

Mike

Enhancing one's lexicographic prowess is an expeditious route to eschewing obfuscation!

J
Sesquipedalian
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
BubbaBuddhist

Postby Vepacitta » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:24 pm

Lighten up folks - it's a charming little fairy tale.

That's all. No big dhamma debate to be had here - go round the back and see what's happening!

And I'm called an Asura! :rofl:
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Vepacitta

Postby Hanzze » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:15 am

Thanks for sharing!
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Postby Sherab » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:43 am

The story strikes some chord with me as I was (and still am) in a rough patch for many years now. It tells me to take heart and that eventually the good karma that I have created in this life will manifest, though not likely in this life but in a future life.
Sherab

PreviousNext

Return to Dhammic Stories