What do you use to wake up?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
joelop

What do you use to wake up?

Post by joelop »

Hi All,

I didn't know where to post this question but, since it's about pre-meditation time, I thought this corner of the forum would be right; Moderators, feel free to move it to a more proper section if needed.

Well, my problem is as follows: I want to start again my morning meditation sessions before doing anything else for the day, the problem is that, if I set up my alarm to get up earlier than usual, I'll wake my partner up who shares my bed. In the past, whenever I wanted to get up earlier I just tried to be aware of the time during the night and get up before the alarm would set off, but this left me restless and sleepy not only for the meditation session but for the rest of the day.

How do you -who share room with a partner who does not want to be awoken 1h earlier- solve this problem? Is there any device out there for these cases? I've been thinking that an ankle bracelet which vibrates with no sound when the time is right would be a good idea if it's not invented yet :smile:

Thanks,
JoeLop
tiltbillings

Re: What do you use to wake up?

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I take my cellphone, set an alarm on it and reduce the volume to "vibrate". Set is on the night table beside my bed, aka "the shrine" and there you have it. It doesn't seem to wake the wife, but I can't rule out a forbearing attitude on her part :tongue:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

joelop wrote:Hi All,

I didn't know where to post this question but, since it's about pre-meditation time, I thought this corner of the forum would be right; Moderators, feel free to move it to a more proper section if needed.

Well, my problem is as follows: I want to start again my morning meditation sessions before doing anything else for the day, the problem is that, if I set up my alarm to get up earlier than usual, I'll wake my partner up who shares my bed. In the past, whenever I wanted to get up earlier I just tried to be aware of the time during the night and get up before the alarm would set off, but this left me restless and sleepy not only for the meditation session but for the rest of the day.

How do you -who share room with a partner who does not want to be awoken 1h earlier- solve this problem? Is there any device out there for these cases? I've been thinking that an ankle bracelet which vibrates with no sound when the time is right would be a good idea if it's not invented yet :smile:

Thanks,
JoeLop
Do you really feel a morning meditation that is combined with so many difficulties is beneficial to you and your partner?

Why not just meditate in the evening after work?
restless and sleepy not only for the meditation session but for the rest of the day
Perhaps not only due to trying to wake up without an alarm, but because you're lacking sleep altogether, also becoming a danger in traffic?

?

Don't know?

Why force things that don't come natural?
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

thereductor wrote:I take my cellphone, set an alarm on it and reduce the volume to "vibrate". Set is on the night table beside my bed, aka "the shrine" and there you have it. It doesn't seem to wake the wife, but I can't rule out a forbearing attitude on her part :tongue:
Goodness, don't you know what you're doing to yourself in terms of electro smog?
That you're exposing yourself to the equivalent field of a high power pole?

It should be avoided to sleep next to a turned on cellphone, it can have very negative effects on our own electromagnetic field.

Perhaps now you can't feel the effect yet, but it will be a slow poison as time goes by.

When my sleep is restless, I always find the cellphone, laptop, TV or DVD player on. I shut everything down, no standby, OFF.

This is just one of many links you can find on the internet, and I personally won't wait with being cautious until evidence is 1000 % sure.

I know how it affects my sleep.

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source=we ... QC8xonuk3Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It doesn't seem to wake the wife, but I can't rule out a forbearing attitude on her part :tongue:
:shock:

Oh...she is truly selfless... :tongue:
Ben

Post by Ben »

I use an alarm clock,or like reductor, my cell phone's alarm settings.
I actually find my phone's vibrate setting more wake inducing than the cheesy marachi-style tone it unleashes at the gadawful wee hours when its time to meditate.
I should also point out that my wife and I decided to sleep in separate rooms some years ago. Both of us get restful sleep and because she is such a light sleeper, I can get up early without disturbing her.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

My wife and I do the same Ben. Of course its not an option for everyone..but we both sleep a lot better in seperate rooms. I use my mobile cell phone as an alarm too. It does not of course receive or send signals in the same way when in alarm mode. I fact most easily verified by the fact that with most sp's you will incur no charge...
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

"The World Health Organization, based upon the consensus view of the scientific and medical communities, has stated that cancer is unlikely to be caused by cellular phones or their base stations and that reviews have found no convincing evidence for other health effects."

http://www.who.int/features/qa/30/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs193/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

via

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_pho ... and_health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:reading:
---

I wake up because others in the house where I live are waking up, so atm I use those people. I'm probably going to get a watch with an alarm function, for portability without needing an outlet for charging.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

You will always find studies that refute any results, usually it is highly interesting to look for the sponsors of those studies.

Also, read closely:
cancer is unlikely to be caused by cellular phones or their base stations.
At your ear, it's already another story.

Or why do you think why cell phones with high 'radiation' are forbidden in Germany?

Because our scientists and politicians are mad imbeciles?

Hardly.

Only a bit ahead in enviromental issues.
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

"A recent assessment was published in 2007 by the European Commission Scientific Committee on Emerging and Newly Identified Health Risks (SCENIHR). It concludes that the three lines of evidence, viz. animal, in vitro, and epidemiological studies, indicate that "exposure to RF fields is unlikely to lead to an increase in cancer in humans."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_pho ... and_health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Sobeh, my dear, do you really trust offical studies?

You have to be cautious with them. Plus, they often get reversed after a while.

They are usually worded very carefully, so that an average reader overlooks things and feels safe:
Look here:

From link 1:

unlikely -what does that tell the alert reader? Uncertainty.
Several studies are under way to determine whether the results of some studies on animals have any relevance to cancer in human beings.
several studies underway means: we don't know enough yet. If we did, we didn't need more studies.
to determine whether the results of some studies in animals have any relevance to cancer in human beings.
So that means, animal tests had increased cancer rates.
no convincing evidence
So, there is some evidence. But we say it is not "convincing".

Convinving would be: ~ 50% of all cellphone users got gliobastoma after 2 year of using a cellphone.
15 % after 3 years is not convincing. (Exxaggered example).

If you, Sobeh, have a close relationship with your handy and want to believe it is safe, and therefore wish to believe those studies, who am I to talk you out of it?
ence.
You gotta know your comfortable zone, and I mine. I prefer a natural scepticism of the results others, because I don't trust their intellligence. Human horizons can be utterly limited despite university degrees.

I have come to the conclusion that official studies are often trivializing matters until get refuted by newer studies which come to more alerting results. Some things are not desired and so taken as 'unlikely'. Must have another reason. Got so used to my cellphone, it must be ok. it has to be.

That is just the way this world goes.

Did you ever ask yourself which results official studies about kamma and rebirth would show? ;)

" There is not enough evidence to...."

:anjali:
joelop

Post by joelop »

Hello everybody,

Tiltbillings,

Thank you for the link; I never thought about anything like silent alarm clocks
thereductor wrote:I take my cellphone, set an alarm on it and reduce the volume to "vibrate".
I tried it long ago but the vibrations hitting the bedside table was even worse for us light-sleeper people :zzz:
Annapurna wrote:Do you really feel a morning meditation that is combined with so many difficulties is beneficial to you and your partner?

Why not just meditate in the evening after work?
I've tried morning meditations before and it works pretty good on me and my spiritual practice; I'm a 'day-animal', I function better during the day; when the evening comes I start feeling tired and when I've tried to meditate before/after dinner I always fall asleep.
Annapurna wrote:Why force things that don't come natural?
Natural is lazyness, sloth, torpor and one has to strive to get rid of these & other obstacles.

Ben,

Sleeping in different rooms is hardly an options, at least for the moment.

Thank you all for your replies; if you still come across new ideas they will be more than welcome ;)
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i use my cell phone as an alarm.

i'm not worried about cancer from it, i mean i'm not the greatest scientific mind around but something tells me that there cant be too much of a risk, the "waves" are out there bouncing off of everything, my phone is just an antenna and a speaker for converting them into sound, so i should be exposed to the same amount of radiation with or with out the phone.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
KonstantKarma

Post by KonstantKarma »

Anybody out there tried the "Peaceful Progression Alarm Clock"? I've eyed it for years, but I need something rather BLARING to get me up so I figure it would be a waste of money.
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

Hi KonstantKarma,
KonstantKarma wrote:Anybody out there tried the "Peaceful Progression Alarm Clock"? I've eyed it for years, but I need something rather BLARING to get me up so I figure it would be a waste of money.
I've considered it since it's the closest thing I've found to my vision of what an alarm clock should be. But it isn't close enough, and seems too complicated with the light and the scented oils (if that's the one you're referring to). I just want something that plays a nature sound or other nice sound that starts very low and gradually gets louder. I hate that default BZZEEP! BZZEEP! BZZEEP! sound they all come with.

:smile: