Angkor Wat Sanghas

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
zengammon

Angkor Wat Sanghas

Post by zengammon »

I"m looking for any recommendations for sanghas to informally visit in Angkor Wat, Cambodia.

We are going to Angkor Wat, Cambodia tomorrow for a short visit. (from Korea)

When we travel in Asia we often find a temple to spend a little time with monks, informally, having tea, talking, etc. (my wife meets people easily, so it usually just happens) We talk about dharma there and in Korea and usually give them our business card, so that they have a contact to help them if they ever find themselves in Korea (as we are involved in the buddhist community here).

But our trip to Angkor Wat is a short one, it's pretty touristy, very hot right now, and I haven't been able to see anything on the web through all the tourist stuff. So, I'm looking for a shortcut.

I would appreciate any recommendations. My wife is a life-long Korean buddhist, so she has great respect for monks. Just to let you know that while we will be "tourists" in Cambodia, we aren't tourists when we visit a temple.

Thanks,
John
pilgrim

Re: Angkor Wat Sanghas

Post by pilgrim »

hi,
I would suggest you visit Life and Hope Angkor( http://www.lifeandhopeangkor.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) located at Wat Damnak just across the bridge from Psar Chas (old market). Ask for Ven Somnieng who speaks good english and he or one of his monks might be able to show you around their community projects.
zengammon

Post by zengammon »

Hi Pilgrim,

Thank you. We will check it out. (Reading the website now.)

Much appreciated.

John
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Hi, John,
If you haven't been there before, you may not be sure sure of the general layout, i.e. the town of Siem Reap is the base for all visitors to the heritage area of Angkor Wat which includes ruined temples scattered across an area of maybe 10 x 15 km and is in driving or bike riding, not walking, distance from the town.
I was there for a week in October last year and I'm sure I missed quite a lot, but AFAIK there is only one functional Wat in the heritage area. It's not far from the main entrance of Angkor Wat, but outside the moat - off to the left as you face the causeway. It is modern, not very big, and not at all touristy.
There are lots of little shrines amongst the ruins, apparently set up by the people who work in the area, e.g. http://www.flickr.com/photos/50030099@N ... 932840775/. Look out for them - they bring some life into the place.
Siem Reap is quite a big place and is growing and modernising like crazy with all the tourist trade. I saw a number of temples but didn't have much time to visit because my whole focus was on the ruins. Bear in mind that Buddhist institutions, like everything else to do with education or culture, took a real hammering during the Khmer Rouge years and are still recovering.
Enjoy your trip!
:namaste:
Kim
zengammon

Post by zengammon »

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the info. No, we haven't been there before. And this is a sudden and short trip for a little break, only five days.

"Bear in mind that Buddhist institutions, like everything else to do with education or culture, took a real hammering during the Khmer Rouge years and are still recovering." Right. It's difficult to wrap a mind around that story. Today I read yet another tragic story about those times on the front page of the Herald Tribune.

Thanks,

John