is there an ignore thread function?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
octathlon

is there an ignore thread function?

Post by octathlon »

If not, that's fine, just asking. :) I see there is a "Subscribe thread", and I wondered if there is the opposite function. :?: I would like to mark a thread to not show up on the list for me.
retrofuturist

Re: is there an ignore thread function?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Octathlon,

Not that I know of.

Maybe it's an opportunity to learn to resist that craving to open the topic. :D

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Good advice...

:anjali:
Mike
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

retrofuturist wrote:Maybe it's an opportunity to learn to resist that craving to open the topic. :D
:lol:
More like aversion, actually!
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Good oppportunity for practice... :computerproblem:

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

octathlon wrote:If not, that's fine, just asking. :) I see there is a "Subscribe thread", and I wondered if there is the opposite function. :?: I would like to mark a thread to not show up on the list for me.
Is there someone forcing you to read those unpleasant threads?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

No clikkie bad stuff.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Can users be ignored?

I ignored one or 2 people at e sangha. A mod recommended it to me.

Peace,

A
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Annapurna wrote:Can users be ignored?

I ignored one or 2 people at e sangha. A mod recommended it to me.

Peace,

A
Yes, in the "friend and foe" section of the control panel.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

tiltbillings wrote:
octathlon wrote:If not, that's fine, just asking. :) I see there is a "Subscribe thread", and I wondered if there is the opposite function. :?: I would like to mark a thread to not show up on the list for me.
Is there someone forcing you to read those unpleasant threads?
Not at all, and I didn't read it [edit: correction, I did read the first post when it was made, but then didn't read]--I was just getting tired of seeing the title all the time. Another forum I've gone to (that looks like it uses similar software to this) has a function like that, so I wondered if this one did too. No big deal, it will fade away soon ... :toilet:

:smile:
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

I used to post on a forum where you can double-click on the button to left of the thread's title, and then it gets marked as read. I like this better than clicking "mark topics read" (which would mark all of the threads as read), because sometimes I want to leave some of the threads that I want to read later, unread.

Or I think this is even better, the ability to ignore a thread. It would make it easier to organize what I want to read, and keep the subforum clean. Then the "new" button on the front would only get triggered when the threads that I want to read is updated, or there are new threads... but not by those threads that I don't want to read.

For example: I like some of the threads in "Lounge"... but my time is wasted when I see the button change to "new", and I find out that it's just music related stuff (I'm deaf, why would I care?), word association stuff, weather, etc. I mark these topics unread, then it repeats every time someone posts something new in these threads (but not in other threads that I'm interested in), and so on.

I don't wanna be wasting my time with that. I don't want to ignore the Lounge, because sometimes there are good threads. I only have so much time to read stuff, and I only want to spend it on good stuff.
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

Hi beeblebrox,
Yes, it would be very useful. Who knows, maybe this one is capable of it if some option was turned on somewhere on its settings? And that other forum also had the ability to ignore entire subforums if you wished. Of course, it's more useful in really big forums that have a huge number of posts. Here, there are not so many posts that I can't scroll through easily enough--on the other hand, I have missed some new posts in the crowd as well.

:smile:
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

If there was I'd eventually just come here to a blank page. LOL

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?