Paper on cultural tensions in Western monasteries

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
gavesako

Paper on cultural tensions in Western monasteries

Post by gavesako »

Title
The analysis of tensions in Western monasteries linked to the Thai forest tradition in the lineage of Ajahn Chah : the separation between the ‘original’ Buddhism and ‘Thai’ monastic traditions

By Pattrarat Suwanwatthana (ภัทรารัตน์ สุวรรณวัฒนา), MA Study of Religions 2008, The School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London.

Abstract
This short paper is a part of an MA dissertation, The analysis of tensions in Western monasteries linked to the Thai forest tradition in the lineage of Ajahn Chah : the separation between the ‘original’ Buddhism and the ‘Thai’ monastic traditions. The paper was published in an academic journal of the Buddhist Research Institute, Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University, Ayutthaya, Thailand, and was presented at the 2nd International Buddhist Research Seminar at Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University, on Saturday 9th January 2010.

บทวิเคราะห์ความตึงเครียดของวัดในตะวันตก ซึ่งเป็นวัดสาขาของวัดอาจารย์ชา

หมายเหตุ : ตีพิมพ์บางส่วนของบทความ ในวารสารทางการศึกษาของ The International Association of Buddhist Universities - IABU
ซึ่งแจกในาน The 2nd International Buddhist Research Seminar, 8-10 Jan 2010

:reading:

PDF for download at http://www.openbase.in.th/node/13488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by gavesako on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bankei

Re: Paper on tensions in Western monasteries of Ajahn Chah

Post by Bankei »

Thanks Bhante. very interesting.

Bankei
-----------------------
Bankei
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Great read so far.

Thanks Bhante.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Getting any two people within eye and hearing contact of each other, given enough time and circumstance, and there will be tension...nothing new here...the author might have been (a little) more persuasive had he enlisted someone with English as their first language to clean it up...then again, maybe not...
SDC

Post by SDC »

Very interesting, Bhante. Thank you for posting.

I had a lot of thoughts going through my head after reading this. Although, I feel the points I would like to discuss would be best suited for a thread in the ordination forum, being as though they go beyond what was discussed in this paper.

Go here if you are interested: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... ead#unread
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3