Stupa/Pagoda

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
theravada_guy
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Stupa/Pagoda

Postby theravada_guy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:51 am

Greetings all,

I have two questions:

1.) Is a pagoda the same thing as a stupa, only it's Chinese?

2.) Where can I get an affordable replica, model, etc. of a stupa from a Theravadin country? I know there are lots of famous stupas, but I don't know any of them. But, I would still like to try and find a replica or something. I have found a Chinese pagoda (hence why I'm asking if it's the same thing), but I'd rather have one that's from Thailand, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, etc.

Thanks.

Edit: Something more traditional is what I'm looking for, rather than Tibetan and Chinese stupas.
With metta,

Justin

mikenz66
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Re: Stupa/Pagoda

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:13 am

theravada_guy wrote:Greetings all,

I have two questions:

1.) Is a pagoda the same thing as a stupa, only it's Chinese?

Yes, and, by the way, in Thai it would be jedi/chedi (pronounced with short vowels, not as in Star Wars...) depending on which transliteration of the Thai alphabet you use.
theravada_guy wrote:2.) Where can I get an affordable replica, model, etc. of a stupa from a Theravadin country? I know there are lots of famous stupas, but I don't know any of them. But, I would still like to try and find a replica or something. I have found a Chinese pagoda (hence why I'm asking if it's the same thing), but I'd rather have one that's from Thailand, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, etc.

I can't help with that. But here are some pictures of Chedi's in Thailand.
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/c ... /tpod.html
http://www.thaiwebsites.com/sukhothai_h ... l_park.asp
http://www.rickmann-uk.com/wp-content/u ... di-Sao.jpg
http://www.loupiote.com/photos/18321161.shtml
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... Ess-1.jpeg

Mike

Ben
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby Ben » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:10 am

Hi TG, Mike and all,

20 years ago on my return from my teacher's centre in India, I stopped off in Singapore. In around the CBD where I was staying, there was a shop that was selling a lot of Buddhist paraphenalia. One of the items, was a clear plastic/perspex pagoda and platform in the style of shwedagon. It stood about 30 cm or 50cm high. One could lift the bell of pagoda up and inside was a small cradle. The shop owner told me that it was for holding a relic. I regret not purchasing it. One could have applied gold leaf to the outside it would have been a stunning addition to one's shrine.

You may also wish to pm David N Snyder, admin/owner of Dhamma Wheel. I know David has a replica of the Maha Bodhi temple in his shrine room. He may be able to give you the details of the merchant.

Metta

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

theravada_guy

Postby theravada_guy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:28 am

Thanks everybody. I have found something that goes along with what I'm looking for. I will definitely ask David about that, Ben. :anjali:
With metta,

Justin

David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:41 am

My most 'prized' possession:

About 14 inches high (36 cm) and gold plated

I bought that one from the Amitabha Society of Singapore. They don't always have them in stock and the last I checked, they were out, but that was over a year ago. They may have some now.

At Bodh Gaya there are several smaller plaster and stone and marble replicas for a much cheaper price than the above, but they are difficult to find outside of India. I have tried googling, but can't find any right now.

Stupas and Maha Bodhi replicas are my favorite shrine items. I have many Buddha statues, but the Maha Bodhi replicas are my favorite. To me it represents the fourfold community, the Buddha, the enlightenment, and the vast history of pilgrimage and how hundreds, perhaps thousands gave their life in pursuit of getting a glimpse of the Maha Bodhi Temple, the 'Mecca' for Buddhists.

theravada_guy

Postby theravada_guy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:51 am

Wow! That's an impressive replica. Thanks for sharing David! :anjali:
With metta,

Justin

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:56 am

thats pretty cool david.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Return to “Shrine Room”