Which Precept is most difficult for you?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).

Which Precept is most difficult for you?

1. To abstain from killing living beings
6%
2. To abstain from taking what is not given, i.e., stealing
1%
3. To abstain from sexual misconduct
9%
4. To abstain from false speech, i.e., lies, divisive speech, harsh speech, idle chatter
72%
5. To abstain from intoxicants and harmful drugs
11%

Total votes: 79

Reductor

Re: Which Precept is most difficult for you?

Post by Reductor »

I used to think harsh speech was my worst, but have gotten it under control. Now I'd say that idle chatter is where I fail most often.
lovemygreys

Post by lovemygreys »

pardon this really basic question: what is considered idle chatter? Is that talking about the weather or what you had for lunch? (ie, stuff that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things)
Heather and the hounds
bodom

Post by bodom »

lovemygreys wrote:pardon this really basic question: what is considered idle chatter? Is that talking about the weather or what you had for lunch? (ie, stuff that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things)
It is any talk not concerned primarily with the Dhamma, but as Bhikkhu Bodhi writes...
Lay persons will have more need for affectionate small talk with friends and family, polite conversation with acquaintances, and talk in connection with their line of work. But even then they should be mindful not to let the conversation stray into pastures where the restless mind, always eager for something sweet or spicy to feed on, might find the chance to indulge its defiling propensities.
http://www.vipassana.com/resources/8fp4.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
lovemygreys

Post by lovemygreys »

ooooooooooook, then. I need to change my vote. Idle chatter. It's going to be tough to even just be aware of it, much less cut back. Thanks bodom, I definitely have a bit to read and think about with regards to right speech.
Heather and the hounds
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

Reflect on your speech, before, during, and after speaking

[The Buddha speaks to his son, Rahula:] "Whenever you want to perform a verbal act, you should reflect on it: 'This verbal act I want to perform — would it lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Is it an unskillful verbal act, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it would lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both; it would be an unskillful verbal act with painful consequences, painful results, then any verbal act of that sort is absolutely unfit for you to do. But if on reflection you know that it would not cause affliction... it would be a skillful verbal action with happy consequences, happy results, then any verbal act of that sort is fit for you to do.

"While you are performing a verbal act, you should reflect on it: 'This verbal act I am doing — is it leading to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Is it an unskillful verbal act, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it is leading to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both... you should give it up. But if on reflection you know that it is not... you may continue with it.

"Having performed a verbal act, you should reflect on it... If, on reflection, you know that it led to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both; it was an unskillful verbal act with painful consequences, painful results, then you should confess it, reveal it, lay it open to the Teacher or to a knowledgeable companion in the holy life. Having confessed it... you should exercise restraint in the future. But if on reflection you know that it did not lead to affliction... it was a skillful verbal action with happy consequences, happy results, then you should stay mentally refreshed and joyful, training day and night in skillful mental qualities."

— MN 61
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

Murdering spiders. And they bloody well started it! Since I was a child, I never hurt a spider - never. Even if some big, huge, radioactive, mutant spider turned up - I always caught it and set it free. Well, one day a spider bit me - it got septic - I was lucky - no hospital - but it was a bit dodgy. Lymph node the size of a golf ball - heavy antibiotics - for which I'm grateful by the way ... (see gratefulness topic).

So - I try and hedge it - by mixing the native American "I apologise for killing you but ..." thing with Buddhism (yes I know they don't mix) saying, "I'm sorry, have a better re-birth in samsaaaara!!!!!) and then ... y'know ...

I have let a few wee spiders live in certain corners if I know they're not really dangerous. And my cat has protected me from some truly monster spiders we get in this neck of the woods.

Speech - I do love to tell a good yarn .. and off colour jokes

Intoxicants - I do like the fruit of the vine -

O dear - 3 precepts ...!
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I do like the fruit of the vine -
You like grapes? 8-)
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

Annapurna wrote:
I do like the fruit of the vine -
You like grapes? 8-)

Why, yes Annapurna I do like grapes - and most especially their concommitant by-products produced by fermentation.

snark-back!
:D
YFNA,

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

Most of my precepts have asterisks next to them
Chula

Post by Chula »

Just a note, but the 4th precept only includes lying in the five household precepts - not divisive, malicious and idle speech. Those come in as an extension to the main five.

Not that you should do those because of that though. :)
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

Chula wrote:Just a note, but the 4th precept only includes lying in the five household precepts - not divisive, malicious and idle speech. Those come in as an extension to the main five.

Not that you should do those because of that though. :)
Hi Chula,

I didn't realize that-- what a relief, eh? ;) :D I will still strive for that goal anyway though. It seems doable for a lay practitioner, ... except maybe the idle chatter one.
:smile:
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

Definitely False speech. But they're connected: I often feel compelled to lie to cover up other misdeeds :toilet: But I'm making progress :woohoo:
Claes

Post by Claes »

do I have to choose just one :smile: ?
" Through effort, attention, restraint and self-control,
the wise person can become and island no flood will overwhelm -Dhammapada
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Claes wrote:do I have to choose just one :smile: ?
I was wondering if a reversed and relaxed poll question might be more realistic ... something like 'Which of the precepts do you violate least?'
:juggling:
Kim
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

To abstain from killing living beings.

- Everytime that I vacuum clean I kill hundreds, or maybe thousands, of acars and other small living creatures.
- If me or my cat had parasites, I would not hesitate to exterminate them.
- When I brush the garden, I do not stop to see if there are insects at every leave (and I know that they are) but I keep it clean.
- In a dirty asian toilet with insects at the floor, what would you do to pee or get a shower without killing them?
- Eventually I kill mosquitos (I tyry to avoid it to some extent, but there is a limit). If you think that you would never do it, maybe you've never been long enough in Thailand, you enjoy being covered with DEET from the feet to the eyes 24 hours a day, or you are not attractive to them ;)