Additional words; please specify
8%
None of the above; please specify
8%

Total votes: 12

Sobeh

Which word is the Pali word for "rebirth":

Post by Sobeh »

I came by this list on another forum, and thought to ask the question here.

:heart:
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Which word is the Pali word for "rebirth":

Post by DNS »

You forgot "all of the above." :tongue:

But I think Punabbhava is probably best, so chose that one.
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

You can pick multiple... and re-vote! I set it up to be very user-friendly.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Sobeh wrote:You can pick multiple... and re-vote! I set it up to be very user-friendly.
Oh, okay, in that case, I'll choose a few others too. :smile:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The dictionary mentions patisandhi also.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

I believe the word differs depending upon which realm you are being reborn into...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

I like this topic already. :D

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Oh yes indeedy ! Thats more like it..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'm not entirely sure, so I'd value a second and third opinion here, but I think the words above (or at least, those I recognise) are actions (kamma), whereas what the English word "rebirth" commonly points to is not a volitional action itself, but the consequence of past volitional action.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

If that was the case, Retro, mightn't we have the Pali? Without it, I hear you claiming that rebirth is inferred from the Suttas, as opposed to declared in the Suttas, so I must be missing something (or not...).

Is it similar to Sankhara perhaps, where the word refers to the cause, effect, and process all in one?

And what of fabianfred's comment on the word used being indicative of the destination?

My own comment at this point is: without the word jati in the Pali term, the translation "re-birth" is simply wrong. Is this a matter of my ignorance of Pali?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sobeh,
Sobeh wrote:If that was the case, Retro, mightn't we have the Pali? Without it, I hear you claiming that rebirth is inferred from the Suttas, as opposed to declared in the Suttas, so I must be missing something (or not...)
I'm a bit confused by the way you've structured that sentence as to exactly what you mean (maybe I need to drink this coffee I've got sitting here), but I'm suggesting there mightn't there be a Pali word that directly accords with the English notion of rebirth. That's not to say that there aren't many words that are close, or related, and I'm not denying that the English rebirth might point towards certain concepts, processes etc. that appear in the suttas, only that I'm not seeing a 1:1 correlation between any of them.
Sobeh wrote:Is it similar to Sankhara perhaps, where the word refers to the cause, effect, and process all in one?

And what of fabianfred's comment on the word used being indicative of the destination?
Interesting questions, and it would be interesting to know how the matter of tense applied to the words polled above.
Sobeh wrote:My own comment at this point is: without the word jati in the Pali term, the translation "re-birth" is simply wrong. Is this a matter of my ignorance of Pali?
Jati has various meanings, but I believe the Mahavihara tradition takes it to mean the kind of literal birth that those who use the term rebirth refer to. It would be interesting to see some of the compounds in which the word jati appears.

I would also be interested to know what the original Pali wording is for the notion we read about in the Abhidhamma literature called (in English) rebirth-linking consciousness, and how and why it's constructed as it is.

Unfortunately I come with more questions than answers, as I'm no Pali expert.

Metta,