An Uposatha Question

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Justin

An Uposatha Question

Post by Justin »

I understand that one of the addition precepts on an Uposatha is refraining from high and luxurious beds and couches. Does this rule take effect after waking on the morning of an Uposatha, with the abstinence taking place through that night's sleep until the following morning, or does one need to abstain from a luxurious bed both during the night of sleep preceding an Uposatha as well as the night of? I just want to make sure I understand the precept correctly.

Venerable Dhammanando, your insight would be greatly appreciated!

With metta,
Justin

:namaste:
Cultivate generosity, the life of peace,
and a mind of boundless love.

Itivuttuka 16
Dhammanando

Re: An Uposatha Question

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Justin,

A day is reckoned as being from dawn to dawn, rather than midnight to midnight, so one would begin the avoidance of high or large seats and beds at dawn on the Uposatha day and continue it until the dawn of the day after.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
AlaskanDhamma

Post by AlaskanDhamma »

I'm glad I stumbled upon this post, because this is something I didn't even know! So this should be followed by everyone, including laypeople?
"Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace." -Buddha
green

Post by green »

I have a ripped up sleeping bag that I use. :smile:
AlaskanDhamma

Post by AlaskanDhamma »

Can someone tell me the story or significance behind this practice? Is there an underlying story or is it just a message of humbling oneself?
Tex

Post by Tex »

Hello, AD, this link may be helpful. In that link is also a link to a bit about the 8 precepts that many lay Buddhists observe on Uposatha days, as opposed to the first five precepts that are observed every day.

Uposatha Observance Days:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... satha.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(You asked if the purpose of that precept is about humbling oneself, I think that may be part of it, but if you look at precepts 6, 7, and 8 -- they're all things that we can get "attached to", things that comfort us or entertain us or somehow make us "feel good", which might distract us from the task at hand, our practice, if we overindulge them. These things are prohibited for monks at all times, whereas we laymen are allowed to eat when we want, enjoy entertainment, and sleep in luxurious comfort, but on Uposatha days we choose to step it up a notch and refrain from those things just as the monks in the Sangha do. That's just my take though.)
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
AlaskanDhamma

Post by AlaskanDhamma »

So it's specifically about attachment then? Ok. That clears it up. Thank you! :anjali: