Government service

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Wagner
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:24 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Government service

Postby Wagner » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:29 pm

Greetings,

Not being subject to government service is a condition for ordination as a bhikkhu. I was wondering how being subject to military service relates to this? I am in the "reserve" (I will be called if there is a need), in the same way, as far as I know, as every healthy male here in Brazil who isn't in the army. My knowledge about these military obligations is quite limited, I was wondering if anyone have any advice on this matter, as these things should be quite similar in different countries.

Thank you.

shjohnk
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:19 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: Shanghai, China
Contact:

Re: Government service

Postby shjohnk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:13 am

Hi Wagner,

Can you gain exemption for religious reasons? I know that when military service was compuslory in Australia (up untll the end of the Vietnam war), you could be excused if your religion prohibited the taking of life, and some fundamentalist Christians used this to avoid military service Maybe Brazil has a similar provision in its law?

PeterB
Posts: 3909
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:35 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Government service

Postby PeterB » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:21 am

Except shjohnk any Government is likely to be informed by its military people that there are Buddhists serving in every branch of the military in most countries. Buddhism does not per se teach pacifism. There are thriving societies for Buddhists serving in the military..

User avatar
Goedert
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 9:24 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: SC, Brazil

Re: Government service

Postby Goedert » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:23 am

Wagner wrote:Greetings,

Not being subject to government service is a condition for ordination as a bhikkhu. I was wondering how being subject to military service relates to this? I am in the "reserve" (I will be called if there is a need), in the same way, as far as I know, as every healthy male here in Brazil who isn't in the army. My knowledge about these military obligations is quite limited, I was wondering if anyone have any advice on this matter, as these things should be quite similar in different countries.

Thank you.


We will be called to the army, only, in case of war engagement. Probabily, in this life, this will never happen. Brazil is a peaceful and diplomatic country, our army is also defficient.

Wagner
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:24 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Government service

Postby Wagner » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:30 pm

Thank you all for your answers.

Goedert wrote:
Wagner wrote:Greetings,

Not being subject to government service is a condition for ordination as a bhikkhu. I was wondering how being subject to military service relates to this? I am in the "reserve" (I will be called if there is a need), in the same way, as far as I know, as every healthy male here in Brazil who isn't in the army. My knowledge about these military obligations is quite limited, I was wondering if anyone have any advice on this matter, as these things should be quite similar in different countries.

Thank you.


We will be called to the army, only, in case of war engagement. Probabily, in this life, this will never happen. Brazil is a peaceful and diplomatic country, our army is also defficient.


Yes, but I don't know if I'd need to be exempt in order to fulfil the condition.

shjohnk wrote:Hi Wagner,

Can you gain exemption for religious reasons? I know that when military service was compuslory in Australia (up untll the end of the Vietnam war), you could be excused if your religion prohibited the taking of life, and some fundamentalist Christians used this to avoid military service Maybe Brazil has a similar provision in its law?


I've found something about exemption for religious reasons. It only talks about Jehovah's Witnesses, however. It seems I will need to contact someone in order to get this this information about exemption when concerning Buddhism.

Let's hope this doesn't get troublesome. :)

lawrence_barretti
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:48 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Government service

Postby lawrence_barretti » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:18 am

Hello Wagner,

My name is Lawrence Barretti and I am from São Paulo Brazil. I´m preparing myself to go forth as bhikkhu in the theravada tradition as well. I would like to talk to you about it, please send me an e-mail at lawrencebarretti@hotmail.com

Metta

Lawrence Barretti

Virgo
Posts: 1209
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:52 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Government service

Postby Virgo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:25 am

Hello,

I think ordaining as a bhikkhu is fine. But you do get called for such service, you would have to disrobe and do your service at that time. It is unlikely that you will, however.

Kevin


Return to “Ordination and Monastic Life”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jayantha-NJ and 4 guests