Website suggestions?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

Website suggestions?

Postby EricJ » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:01 am

I am starting college, and I've decided to set up a little shrine in my dorm. I'm looking for a shrine table and a tapestry/wallhanging (preferrably with a Dhammacakka print), but I'm not having much luck.

Any suggestions, experienced shrine-makers?

Regards,
Eric
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
EricJ

Re: Website suggestions?

Postby Reductor » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:42 pm

EricJ wrote:I am starting college, and I've decided to set up a little shrine in my dorm. I'm looking for a shrine table and a tapestry/wallhanging (preferrably with a Dhammacakka print), but I'm not having much luck.

Any suggestions, experienced shrine-makers?

Regards,
Eric

Simplicity.

What I did for a wall 'hanging' was take my favorite painting of the Blessed one and go to http://www.blockposters.com/

Of course you'll need a color printer, glue and such.

My own shrine is simple: table, cloth, rupa, books and a few large printed images made with the above site.

Actually, I'll post a pic.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1810&p=82971#p82971
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby Monkey Mind » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:17 pm

When you get to town, have your friends take you to: the Buddhist section in Powells Book Store and some of the Tibetan stores in the Hawthorne district (there are 4), and a few other usual suspects. Most artwork is from a Tibetan perspective, but occasionally you find some good Thai or Sri Lankan art and other alter items.

There is also a comic book store in town that has a Buddhist supply store in a back room... Mostly Japanese stuff (caters to the SGI crowd), but occasionally some interesting finds. I'll try to remember the name of the store and post back.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby EricJ » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys. I am just looking for a tapestry with a Dhamma wheel and a low table. This is the Buddharupa I'm getting: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ ... 8KFCCJE22F. I'll probably have my Dhamma books on the shrine (representing the Dhamma) and some flowers/plants flanking the Buddha image.

Monkey Mind, I know there is a shop on Hawthorne called Nakayama Butsudans. A lot of their products are very, very expensive, though. I'll definitely check out those places you mentioned. I haven't even visited Powell's yet. Are you referring to the main store in the downtown area?
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
EricJ

Postby Monkey Mind » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Yep, the main store. Near their Eastern Religions section, they have a glass case with Buddha rupas and other devices. Some of the merchandise is alter quality, some of it is new age trinkets. Me, I was gifted the rupa on my alter from an Avon catalog. One could tease me, but it is very beautiful. A dear friend hand-quilted the cloth it sits on.

There is also a new age bookstore on NW 23rd, near Thurman St, that actually has some good Theravada artwork. I don't ever shop there, though, because the incense is enough to gag me.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Return to Shrine Room