Venerable Dhammanando away for a few days, unwell (update 3)

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
genkaku

Re: Venerable Dhammanando away for a few days, unwell (update 3)

Post by genkaku »

Very glad to hear you are on the mend.

And if you'll pardon a small half-tongue-in-cheek observation: Hospitals are like Buddhism: We go to them to get better, but we only know we've gotten better when we get out.

Best wishes for continued recovery.
AlaskanDhamma

Post by AlaskanDhamma »

I was unaware Ven. Dhammanando was ill. I'm am very genuinely happy to hear they he is well again in body. It's good to see the support hear.
"Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace." -Buddha
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

It is good to hear the good news
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Bhante,

I am glad to hear you are on the mend.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Good to see you back Bhante, to straighten us out. You'r work is cut out for you. :P

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Individual

Post by Individual »

I'm glad you're well, Dhammanando.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

It is good to see you back, even if just for a temporary time.

The other monk had his leg amputated? Ouch! Thank goodness you will be better without that!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Welcome back Ajahn!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

I'm so glad you're better, Bhante.

Best wishes,
Drolma
sherubtse

Post by sherubtse »

It is indeed great news to learn that you are better, Bhante. And I very much look forward to reading your words of wisdom again in these forums. :smile:

With metta,
Shereubtse
laura

Post by laura »

I am also glad to hear you are feeling better!
nathan

Post by nathan »

This is good news, thankful to hear it. May you recover fully.
I would be very interested to learn what you think about Malaria at this point. Especially how one should best prepare to deal with this issues if intending to be in Thailand for an extended period. I would appreciate your thoughts when you have the time for it.

Looking forward to that article translation also, if that ever resurfaces. I very much appreciate all of the perspective on the teachings and advice you have generously provided. Thanks again. :bow: :bow: :bow:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Nathan,
nathan wrote:I would be very interested to learn what you think about Malaria at this point. Especially how one should best prepare to deal with this issues if intending to be in Thailand for an extended period. I would appreciate your thoughts when you have the time for it.
It's not difficult to avoid it and merely requires that one stay away from malarial regions (i.e. most of the Cambodian border districts and certain of the less inhabited Burmese and Laotian border districts). This is what I did for the first 13 years, but then a couple of years ago I went to spend the rains retreat on a private island that was close enough to Cambodia to be visited by malarial mosquitoes from there. It hits you very hard when you get it for the first time, but if properly treated subsequent occurrences will get milder and milder and less and less frequent.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
nathan

Post by nathan »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Nathan,
It's not difficult to avoid it and merely requires that one stay away from malarial regions (i.e. most of the Cambodian border districts and certain of the less inhabited Burmese and Laotian border districts). This is what I did for the first 13 years, but then a couple of years ago I went to spend the rains retreat on a private island that was close enough to Cambodia to be visited by malarial mosquitoes from there. It hits you very hard when you get it for the first time, but if properly treated subsequent occurrences will get milder and milder and less and less frequent.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
That is more or less what I was beginning to think. I could take a drug for a time initially but it would be impractical over the longer term. We really need to get an "Ordaining..." thread going here somewhere (mods?). It seems the odds of ending up at the gates of WPN are pretty high. Given that visa problems seem to be only intensifying lately, there will probably have to be trips into either Burma, if I am in the North, or VIetnam/Cambodia, if I am in the East, at least briefly, every three months. I have gotten used to just watching mosquitoes feed on me here, how do monks deal with them there? Blowing, hand waving? Run? Just curious. I am getting a lot better at being able to simply accept being very ill if and when these conditions arise, and of course, they will.

All the Best Venerable, be well and happy.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

nathan wrote:mosquitoes...how do monks deal with them there?
This one blows and/or brushes... :smile:...and if you live outside (like I do), a net at night is mandatory...