Buddhist Commentarial Literature

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

I came across this BPS Booklet, and thought some may be interested in reading it:

Buddhist Commentarial Literature by L.R. Goonesekere

Contents
Preface
In Memoriam
A.t.thakathaa
Tradition regarding the A.t.thakathaa
Sinhala and Dravidian Commentaries
Other sources of the Paali Commentaries
Paali Commentaries
List of Paali Commentaries
Contents: Doctrinal
Other Contents
India
Religious
Social and Economic
Political
Geographical
Ceylon
Religious
Social and Economic
Political
Geographical
Notes
http://www.bps.lk/wheels_library/wh_113_114.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Re: Buddhist Commentarial Literature

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Further to the text above, a Dhamma Brother (elsewhere) has made the following comment, and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on it:

I find two observations therein to be particularly interesting and important to bear in mind: that the commentaries disagree with each other at times and at times even with the Tipitaka itself. The trainee is never exempt from the obligation to think and evaluate while he walks the Eightfold Path. He is not to "go by tradition" without testing it through experience as the Kalama Sutta warns. (sukhamanveti)

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you Chris
I've downloaded the booklet for future reading.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Chris wrote:a Dhamma Brother (elsewhere) has made the following comment, and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on it:

I find two observations therein to be particularly interesting and important to bear in mind: that the commentaries disagree with each other at times and at times even with the Tipitaka itself.

Do they really? Or is it a case of "rebirth and anatta are contradictory"? meaning appears contradictory if one doesn't examine it closely.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.