Kathina ceremony

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Kathina ceremony

Postby theravada_guy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:10 am

Greetings all,

Since I will be having contact with Bhante Rahula, where can I obtain a robe to offer him for the Kathina ceremony in October (I think it's October anyway, but I don't know the exact date). If it matters at all, he's Sri Lankan. I haven't set anything up with him, I'm just wondering, if I get this opportunity. I suppose I could also offer other requisites, as he may specify?
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Re: Kathina ceremony

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:15 am

Hi theravada_guy,

At the Thai Wat that I frequent there is a ceremonial giving of robes, which is highly organised (the robes are flown in from Thailand). Some of the "prominent" lay people do the actual presentation. The other lay people (such as me!) bring other requisites. I would suggest talking to the lay people at Ven Rahula's monastery, or Ven Rahula himself, to find out when they will hold Kathina (for Thai monastaries it's not a fixed day, it's just sometime during the month after the end of the rains retreat, I presume it's the same for Sri Lankan monasteries), and what their particular organisational procedure is, what sort of stuff is useful, and so on.

Mike
mikenz66

Return to Theravāda for the modern world