The Four Sights of Siddhartha

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pilgrim
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

The Four Sights of Siddhartha

Postby pilgrim » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:50 am

Can someone point out to me which literature describes the experience of Siddhartha where he sees the famous 4 sights which led to his renunciation? I understand it is not in the suttas but is it considered canonical?

jcsuperstar

Re: The Four Sights of Siddhartha

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:21 am

i cant remember the sutta but the story is there only it's not Siddhartha who sees the sights as described its a previous Buddha. i guess the thinking is all Buddhas become enlightened in the same manner or something.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:26 am

Nevermind
Kevin
Last edited by Virgo on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:39 am

jcsuperstar wrote:i cant remember the sutta but the story is there only it's not Siddhartha who sees the sights as described its a previous Buddha. i guess the thinking is all Buddhas become enlightened in the same manner or something.

There is a sutta where the Gautama Buddha mentions that one of the past Buddhas saw the 4 sights as a bodhisattva. But there is a Commentary ( I think) which then says all the bodhisattvas of the past see the 4 sights before their renunciation. And this has formed the basis of the story of Siddhartha also seeing the 4 sights and sneaking off in the night ( although the Maha-Saccaka Sutta gives a different record of his renunciation, where his parents wept at his departure). I'm trying to determine which book this is.

retrofuturist
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:51 am

Greetings Pilgrim,

I remembering hearing what you said above about the four sights in Bhikkhu Nanamoli's "Life of the Buddha". Perhaps that text might provide some clues as to the relevant source material.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

bodom
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby bodom » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:25 pm

It is in the Mahapadana Suttanta DN 14 and it was the Buddha Vipassi who sees the sights.

Heres T. W. Rhys Davids translation:
http://www.buddhistlibraryonline.net/en ... adana.html

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”