re: vipassana meditation

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.
siddhartha2010
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

re: vipassana meditation

Postby siddhartha2010 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:29 am

I sometimes find my hands or inner body muscle move unconsciously during meditation. also the sensations on my body has remained pretty much the same since I started meditating five years ago. big mass of solidity on majority of the body.
Somehow I developed a habit of smoking ciggarette before going to meditation. I am not sure if this has the impact.
But Vipassana has helped me change my life and notice more finer details in life.

Metta to all

Ben
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: re: vipassana meditation

Postby Ben » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:11 am

welcome to Dhamma Wheel sidhattha.
Don;t worry about sensations not changing. Whatever arises - just observe!
Keep in mind the object of vipassana meditation as you have been taught it is to develop awareness and equanimity. Progress is not measured by the type of sensation you are experiencing.
metta

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

siddhartha2010

Postby siddhartha2010 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Thank you.

Collective

Postby Collective » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Ben wrote:welcome to Dhamma Wheel sidhattha.
Don;t worry about sensations not changing. Whatever arises - just observe!
Keep in mind the object of vipassana meditation as you have been taught it is to develop awareness and equanimity. Progress is not measured by the type of sensation you are experiencing.
metta

Ben

Great advice for us all

Thanks Ben

siddhartha2010

Postby siddhartha2010 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:00 pm

At present I think I am following on the path that Budhha taught. I sit for few hours everyday. There is a monastery near where I live. I go there when ever I have the time to. Compare to few years ago I feel that I have transformed myself for better. But I dont know if it is due to my past karma I still find that I carry lots of anxiety within me. At times I feel very fearful of the future. Compare to past my guilty conscience is magnified to 10 times is I were to do something I would regret later.

At times I try my upmost to accept this feeling and begin to observe body in body

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:36 pm

siddhartha2010 wrote:At present I think I am following on the path that Budhha taught. I sit for few hours everyday. There is a monastery near where I live. I go there when ever I have the time to. Compare to few years ago I feel that I have transformed myself for better. But I dont know if it is due to my past karma I still find that I carry lots of anxiety within me. At times I feel very fearful of the future. Compare to past my guilty conscience is magnified to 10 times is I were to do something I would regret later.

At times I try my upmost to accept this feeling and begin to observe body in body

Just one step at a time, just continue to observe. This is not a quick fix and it takes time to fully understand how you are creating suffering for yourself and to let go of that.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah

legolas

Postby legolas » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:54 am

siddhartha2010 wrote:I sometimes find my hands or inner body muscle move unconsciously during meditation. also the sensations on my body has remained pretty much the same since I started meditating five years ago. big mass of solidity on majority of the body.
Somehow I developed a habit of smoking ciggarette before going to meditation. I am not sure if this has the impact.
But Vipassana has helped me change my life and notice more finer details in life.

Metta to all

Don't forget that the mind influences the type of feelings/sensations that arise. If you can generate gladness & joy in the mind, this will calm the body and "sensations" will be more pleasant. I obviously dont know for sure but you might be over concentrating or using a technique that is not letting you actually enjoy the session. Happy mind first, "happy" body follows. Contemplating on a happy (nonsensual) time in your life could help. Smoking is bad for you. You will have to excuse me now, I need a quick fag.

Return to “Insight Meditation”