re: vipassana meditation

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.

re: vipassana meditation

Postby siddhartha2010 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:29 am

I sometimes find my hands or inner body muscle move unconsciously during meditation. also the sensations on my body has remained pretty much the same since I started meditating five years ago. big mass of solidity on majority of the body.
Somehow I developed a habit of smoking ciggarette before going to meditation. I am not sure if this has the impact.
But Vipassana has helped me change my life and notice more finer details in life.

Metta to all
siddhartha2010

Re: re: vipassana meditation

Postby Ben » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:11 am

welcome to Dhamma Wheel sidhattha.
Don;t worry about sensations not changing. Whatever arises - just observe!
Keep in mind the object of vipassana meditation as you have been taught it is to develop awareness and equanimity. Progress is not measured by the type of sensation you are experiencing.
metta

Ben
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby siddhartha2010 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Thank you.
siddhartha2010

Postby Collective » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Ben wrote:welcome to Dhamma Wheel sidhattha.
Don;t worry about sensations not changing. Whatever arises - just observe!
Keep in mind the object of vipassana meditation as you have been taught it is to develop awareness and equanimity. Progress is not measured by the type of sensation you are experiencing.
metta

Ben

Great advice for us all

Thanks Ben
Collective

Postby siddhartha2010 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:00 pm

At present I think I am following on the path that Budhha taught. I sit for few hours everyday. There is a monastery near where I live. I go there when ever I have the time to. Compare to few years ago I feel that I have transformed myself for better. But I dont know if it is due to my past karma I still find that I carry lots of anxiety within me. At times I feel very fearful of the future. Compare to past my guilty conscience is magnified to 10 times is I were to do something I would regret later.

At times I try my upmost to accept this feeling and begin to observe body in body
siddhartha2010

Postby Goofaholix » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:36 pm

siddhartha2010 wrote:At present I think I am following on the path that Budhha taught. I sit for few hours everyday. There is a monastery near where I live. I go there when ever I have the time to. Compare to few years ago I feel that I have transformed myself for better. But I dont know if it is due to my past karma I still find that I carry lots of anxiety within me. At times I feel very fearful of the future. Compare to past my guilty conscience is magnified to 10 times is I were to do something I would regret later.

At times I try my upmost to accept this feeling and begin to observe body in body

Just one step at a time, just continue to observe. This is not a quick fix and it takes time to fully understand how you are creating suffering for yourself and to let go of that.
"Whenever we feel that we are definitely right, so much so that we refuse to open up to anything or anybody else, right there we are wrong. It becomes wrong view. When suffering arises, where does it arise from? The cause is wrong view, the fruit of that being suffering. If it was right view it wouldn't cause suffering." - Ajahn Chah
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby legolas » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:54 am

siddhartha2010 wrote:I sometimes find my hands or inner body muscle move unconsciously during meditation. also the sensations on my body has remained pretty much the same since I started meditating five years ago. big mass of solidity on majority of the body.
Somehow I developed a habit of smoking ciggarette before going to meditation. I am not sure if this has the impact.
But Vipassana has helped me change my life and notice more finer details in life.

Metta to all

Don't forget that the mind influences the type of feelings/sensations that arise. If you can generate gladness & joy in the mind, this will calm the body and "sensations" will be more pleasant. I obviously dont know for sure but you might be over concentrating or using a technique that is not letting you actually enjoy the session. Happy mind first, "happy" body follows. Contemplating on a happy (nonsensual) time in your life could help. Smoking is bad for you. You will have to excuse me now, I need a quick fag.
legolas

Return to Insight Meditation