abhinibbatti

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Ceisiwr

abhinibbatti

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings

I was hoping that some one could let me know what the alternatve translations of the word abhinibbatti are other than rebirth or becoming?

Metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
cooran

Re: abhinibbatti

Post by cooran »

Hello clw_uk,

When you are searching for any Pali meanings, enter the word here:
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/pali/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Thanks Chris

I had come accross that site before but couldnt remember what it was called, thanks again

Metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A tip on adding a Pali Dictionary Search to the hotclick popup menu in Opera. I suspect that Firefox users can do something similar. The search can also be used to find English words in the dictionary to back-translate to Pāli.

I wonder why you find the offered translations of "rebirth" or "becoming" to be unsatisfactory? What is the context in which the word abhinibbatti was used?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I wonder why you find the offered translations of "rebirth" or "becoming" to be unsatisfactory? What is the context in which the word abhinibbatti was used?
Rebirth and becoming seem a little out of place here, in DN18: "So tattha sammā samāhito sammā vippasanno bahiddhā parakāye ñāṇadassanaṃ abhinibbatteti."
"Rightly concentrated there and rightly clear, he gives rise to knowledge & vision externally of the bodies of others."
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

lojong1 wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I wonder why you find the offered translations of "rebirth" or "becoming" to be unsatisfactory? What is the context in which the word abhinibbatti was used?
Rebirth and becoming seem a little out of place here, in DN18: "So tattha sammā samāhito sammā vippasanno bahiddhā parakāye ñāṇadassanaṃ abhinibbatteti."
"Rightly concentrated there and rightly clear, he gives rise to knowledge & vision externally of the bodies of others."
That passage uses the causative, therefore "causes to be born" works fine. Having said that, I don't think abhinabbattati should mean either "rebirth" or "becoming". " vattati" means "exists". The "ni" probably means "come out", I would think, hence why nibbattati is often used to mean "come into existence". The "abhi" here might mean "specifically", thus abhinibbattati = "[that] specifically comes into existence", abhinibbatteti="causes [that] specifically to come into existence." On the other hand, another meaning of "abhi" is "forth", so it might mean "comes forth into existence", "brings forth into existence". I'm just conjecturing here, for the purpose of elucidating the actual meaning - probably the abhi doesn't have much meaning except to nuance the verb in a certain way, but I think it is clear the meaning is not likely "rebirth". "Becoming" might work, but it is a bit terse for such a heavily laden term, and probably gives the wrong idea of becoming something. I would suggest something like "arises into being", or for the causative, "brings forth". Either that or stick to the Pali ;) There's no way you can beat a word like abhinibbatteti for simultaneous concision and depth in the English language. :geek:
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Oooo I like transpires!