Introduction to Insight Meditation

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
bodom

Introduction to Insight Meditation

Post by bodom »

Here is an excellent little manual on Insight Meditation. It was sent to me from Abhyagiri Monastery, printed for use by Amaravati Monastery and is in the tradition of Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho. It is available online here:

http://www.forestsangha.org/index.php?o ... &Itemid=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It covers Body Sweeping, Awareness of Breathing, Walking Meditation, Metta Meditation, Choiceless Awareness, Precepts, Posture and more in only 20 pages. Hope others find it as useful as I have.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
username_5

Re: Introduction to Insight Meditation

Post by username_5 »

Thank you for this. It is very concise and seems useful when I am asked the question 'So, what is Buddhist meditation, exactly'. When I got to the end of the first page I saw there were no more so when you say it is 20 pages I assume your reader must display it differently than mine.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

There is a link to a PDF on the page. It's 12, not 20, pages, though...

Mike
bodom

Post by bodom »

username_5 wrote:When I got to the end of the first page I saw there were no more so when you say it is 20 pages I assume your reader must display it differently than mine.
This is the online version of a 20 page booklet that the monastery sent to me. The complete booklet is there. :smile:

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

mikenz66 wrote:There is a link to a PDF on the page. It's 12, not 20, pages, though...

Mike
Now that I look at it, what is missing from the booklet is the illustrations of different sitting postures. This is why it is showing 12 instead of 20 pages.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Here it is including the posture illustrations:

http://dharma.ncf.ca/introduction/instr ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

this little book?Image
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bodom

Post by bodom »

jcsuperstar wrote:this little book?Image
Thats the one! Great little book.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

yeah, i've given a ton of those away, i got a bunch for my Wat a couple years back
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat