American Buddhist Forest Tradition

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mirco

American Buddhist Forest Tradition

Post by mirco »

Finally, an all-american theravadan forest tradition can now be found in the US.

Most Venerable Vimalaramsi Mahathera is the founder
of the American Buddhist Forest Tradition.

There is a monks and nuns monastery:
Dhamma Sukha Meditation Center

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

utube: Begin To See
Online training: 2010 Foundation Series Buddhist Meditation Training

Sanghamitta

Re: American Buddhist Forest Tradition

Post by Sanghamitta »

The first ?

Abhayagiri was established in 1995.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

And I heard that Vilamaramsi says he can cure aids, so beware.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Modus.Ponens wrote:And I heard that Vilamaramsi says he can cure aids, so beware.
Where / When did he say this?
Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra
Hoo

Post by Hoo »

Sanghamitta wrote:The first ?

Abhayagiri was established in 1995.
My understanding may be wrong, of course. I briefly visited Dhamma Sukkha a couple of times last year. I understood them to be establishing a truly American Forest Tradition, as opposed to extending another tradition to America.

"Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery, the first monastery in the United States to be established by followers of Ajahn Chah, was founded in 1996 in the mountainous forests north of Ukiah, California." (from their web site, bold face is my addition).

So there may be room for lots of discussion of what's first and of what tradition, but that is what I understood as one of the main distinctions between Dhamma Sukkha and other Theravadan centers.

Other distinctions are probably best read on their respective web sites.

Hoo
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

mr. gordo wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:And I heard that Vilamaramsi says he can cure aids, so beware.
That was mentioned in this thread: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 48&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Moggalana wrote:
mr. gordo wrote:
That was mentioned in this thread: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 48&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll check it out, thx!
Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra
mirco

Post by mirco »

Hi Modus.Ponens,

I can remember that Dhamma-Talk. Bhante Vimalaramsi tells a story about a woman who was about to die from cancer.
By chance she became his student and followed his advice. Then her cancer went away. But he never said, that he can cure cancer.

He only states, that acting in a certain holesome way can lead to a lot of holesome power.
It's a talk on the Cula-kammavibhanga Sutta (MN135). THe title of the video posted at youtube is
"Karma and How to Cure Cancer - w/Bhante Vimalaramsi " which, I think, is misleading, because it was
only one case that happend and never happend again and he only reports of it as an example of how
strong Kamma can grow from ones actions in this very lifetime.

Here's the snippet of that talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgBx91_8JUs

Be well,
;) Mirco
mirco

Post by mirco »

Sanghamitta wrote:The first ? Abhayagiri was established in 1995.
Hi Sanghamitta,

as Hoo said, it's not an foreign Theravadan lineage.

American born Most Venerable Vimalaramsi Mahathera is the teacher who follows wisdom, Suttas and Vinaya.

Bets Regards,
:) Mirco
bodom

Post by bodom »

mirco wrote:I can remember that Dhamma-Talk. Bhante Vimalaramsi tells a story about a woman who was about to die from cancer.By chance she became his student and followed his advice. Then her cancer went away. But he never said, that he can cure cancer... THe title of the video posted at youtube is"Karma and How to Cure Cancer - w/Bhante Vimalaramsi "
Wrong talk. In the talk entitled How to Handle Pain w/ Bhante Vimalaramsi, posted in the following thread, at the 1:25 mark he says.."Im not real wild about getting AIDS even though I know how to get rid of them."

Have a listen.

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 48&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
mirco

Post by mirco »

bodom wrote:
mirco wrote:I can remember that Dhamma-Talk. Bhante Vimalaramsi tells a story about a woman who was about to die from cancer.By chance she became his student and followed his advice. Then her cancer went away. But he never said, that he can cure cancer.
Wrong talk. In the talk entitled How to Handle Pain w/ Bhante Vimalaramsi, posted in the following thread, at the 1:25 mark he says.."Im not real wild about getting AIDS even though I know how to get rid of them." Have a listen. http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 48&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi bodom,

ask the Venerable Vimalaramsi himself, how he exactly meant that:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammasukha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or [email protected]

All the best,
:) Mirco
bodom

Post by bodom »

Thats ok, im not all that interested in what he meant by the statement as I don't follow his teachings. Maybe you can ask him since you seem to be a follower of his.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

mirco wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:
American born / teacher who follows wisdom, Suttas and Vinaya.
as are most of the forest monks mentioned here
it's not an foreign Theravadan lineage.
unless he just ordained himself he brought it from somewhere, as have the above mentioned monks.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
mirco

Post by mirco »

jcsuperstar wrote:
mirco wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:American born / teacher who follows wisdom, Suttas and Vinaya.
as are most of the forest monks mentioned here
it's not an foreign Theravadan lineage.
unless he just ordained himself he brought it from somewhere, as have the above mentioned monks.
He ordained somewhere, thats true. But he didn't bring any of the cultural influence of that countries (Burma, Thailand, Malaysia, Sri Lanka) had had been to.

He does not refer to any other teacher but the Buddha.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mirco wrote:
He does not refer to any other teacher but the Buddha.
If he refers to himself as a bhikkhu, there needs to be a legitimate ordination lineage to which he belongs and of which he is a member in good standing. And this should be information that is easily known.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723