Intensity of Objects-Abhidhamma

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
mikenz66

Re: Intensity of Objects-Abhidhamma

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Robert,
robertk wrote: This is so far away from being correct that it should not be put in the Abhidhamma forum- good for Modern Theravada perhaps?
It would be helpful to some of us if you could explain how you see such descriptions as deviating from the Abhidhamma. Is it that the description of the arising of consciousness is imprecise, or is it that you don't think that it is possible to actually observe the arising?

Metta
Mike
nathan

Post by nathan »

Actually, I apologize robertk. I think in terms of the guidelines you are right. It is not a good post. I had hoped my feedback on the Ref. and the question in the OP would get the ball rolling towards either a correction of my comment based on correct abhidhamma interpretation or at least the reformulation of the comment on that basis. I have already said I do not think I am capable of competently taking that approach and so I usually don't post in abhidhamma forums. I will continue reading out of appreciation for those who can. So, please someone, provide the correct answer in this context.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

nathan wrote:Actually, I apologize robertk. I think in terms of the guidelines you are right. It is not a good post. I had hoped my feedback on the Ref. and the question in the OP would get the ball rolling towards either a correction of my comment based on correct abhidhamma interpretation or at least the reformulation of the comment on that basis. I have already said I do not think I am capable of competently taking that approach and so I usually don't post in abhidhamma forums. I will continue reading out of appreciation for those who can. So, please someone, provide the correct answer in this context.
Thanks for trying to stimulate some interest :hug:

Maybe I just find weird things interesting.

:namaste:
nathan

Post by nathan »

Drolma wrote:
nathan wrote:Actually, I apologize robertk. I think in terms of the guidelines you are right. It is not a good post. I had hoped my feedback on the Ref. and the question in the OP would get the ball rolling towards either a correction of my comment based on correct abhidhamma interpretation or at least the reformulation of the comment on that basis. I have already said I do not think I am capable of competently taking that approach and so I usually don't post in abhidhamma forums. I will continue reading out of appreciation for those who can. So, please someone, provide the correct answer in this context.
Thanks for trying to stimulate some interest :hug:

Maybe I just find weird things interesting.

:namaste:
Hey, no sweat. Interesting question. It would be great if someone could give us a more precise answer to it. Since there is no post that presents any real difference of opinion. Since it is my sincere, honest, and best answer, and we need only acknowledge that it is based on insight and not on the discrete analysis of the textual version of all of this minutia. Until we hear otherwise, I don't see why we can't just go with this for now. It is a serviceable interpretation, if you care to examine the minutia for yourself and then compare it to the text. Maybe you can later put it all together both ways and post it then. They seem pretty close to me although sometimes I don't yet grasp why one thing will get more emphasis and another will get less in abhidhamma, I am sure it can all make sense in both ways at some point. Otherwise they couldn't have laid it all out like this in the first place, right? 'Til next time. :toast:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Sounds good to me nathan! I'll continue my investigation and reflection :toast: