BAD DAY. Remind me what to do please?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
James the Giant

BAD DAY. Remind me what to do please?

Post by James the Giant »

I'm having a very shitty day. Emotionally blue - tending to black. Feeling horribly down, wishing for cessation, but I know that this is impermanent, I'll be okay tomorrow or the next day.
On the upside, I'm aware of it. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have been aware, so the dhamma has given me that so far. Awareness at least.

But in the meantime, can someone remind me of what I'm supposed to do/focus on/be aware of/approach/etc, to make good use of this suffering.
I guess be aware of it... try to be aware of anicca, duhkka, anatta, in the experiences, in the negative thoughts, sad/angry emotions, aching, tired sensations, etc, a la the Satipatthana Sutta.

I'm sure I know or knew the answer to this one, but in the middle of this emotional turmoil I can't quite remember.

Thanks.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Mr. G

Re: BAD DAY. Remind me what to do please?

Post by Mr. G »

metta meditation, and watching this:

:console:
Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

This has been going around for about a week. Forgive my first thought: walking medication through a cemetery, then an emergency ward, then a psych ward.
Psych patients are usually really friendly and helpful.
And FUNNY!
Last edited by lojong1 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

If you need relief and comfort - remember "this too shall pass". Same as all sabbe sankhara anicca -all fabrications - mental formations- are impermanent - they eventually cease.

If you can - and maybe you just can't - things might be too 'heavy' - I understand - try watching your thoughts - your mental formations - look at their beginning - watch the thought - see how long you can hold it until it just goes - it's not 'you' - it can't be held onto forever - watch the mind grasp it - notice when you 'forget' - there will be 'bubbles' of space between the obsessive thoughts.

Hoping tomorrow or the next day is a whole lot better,

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

James the Giant wrote:I'm having a very shitty day.
I'm having a very shitty day is a story, it's a story the mind has created about it's experience.

The truth is that shittiness happens... it doesn't happen to me because there is no me for it to happen to.

Relax, enjoy it, and learn from it, life would be boring if it were always bliss.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Ben

Post by Ben »

James wrote:I'm having a very shitty day.
Mate, what can I say? Dukkha sucks!

The instructions you have been given should see you through.
While our practice involves the observation of all sensations with equanimity, as you progress, you will be able to turn the same objective awareness towards all phenomena. You will also note that emotions that arise in the mind are actually compound-phenomena consisting of cittas, thoughts, vedanas and kaya (heart-rate and breathing fluctuations as an example). When you see them like this, it is easier to disengage from them and observe them equanimously. If you can't, don't worry about it. Vedanas co-arise with the vast majority of cittas, so observing vedanas - one is also indirectly observing mind.
Just accept the present reality "as it is"
-- SN Goenka
If you find yourself so upset that you can't get it together to practice vedananupassana, go back to anapana. If its really bad and anapana isn't possible, try recollecting the qualities of the triple gem.
One last thing...
Don't forget your dhamma-friends. They're here to help and support you!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
alan

Post by alan »

Have a glass of wine and go to bed early. You'll feel better in the morning.
bodom

Post by bodom »

alan wrote:Have a glass of wine and go to bed early. You'll feel better in the morning.
Well hopefully he's not an active or recovering alcoholic, otherwise tomorrow may not be much better!

Hope you feel better James!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
samadhi_seeker

Post by samadhi_seeker »

Hey you are not alone!! I seem to be having a bad day too. Unsure what brings it on but a dissatisfaction with my current life usually does it. I can recognise that I am in this mood but struggle to work out how to get out of it. Hard to live in the present when the present isnt presenting itself well.

Good luck - peace!!
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Thanks for the suggestions and reminders of what I already knew, folks. It's good to have other people who can remind me of what the path is, when I've temporarily been blinded to it.
Went and meditated an hour. Even in the midst of the inner turmoil I could still concentrate well, and so spent a good hour doing vipassana.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well done, James!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I know when I feel really shitty, I am suddenly thinking of the Black Dahlia or of Sharon Tate. .

Both women were murdered in especially horrible, heartbreaking ways.

Visiting their websites makes me feel humble.

If I get my shit back together this way, then I begin to think of loved ones who have a greater plight than me these days.

Those thoughts usually shame me.

And then...I begin to thank for what I can thank for.

I then usually arrive at what I am taking for granted:

Legs to walk with, eyes to see with, a mouth to eat with....this is not self-understood....some people are without...and -

I hope that helps, James.

It works for me. To increase my acceptance.

And I know all those states I am thanking for are impermanent too.

Good wishes for you.

A
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

James the Giant wrote:I'm having a very shitty day. Emotionally blue - tending to black. Feeling horribly down, wishing for cessation, but I know that this is impermanent, I'll be okay tomorrow or the next day.
On the upside, I'm aware of it. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have been aware, so the dhamma has given me that so far. Awareness at least.

But in the meantime, can someone remind me of what I'm supposed to do/focus on/be aware of/approach/etc, to make good use of this suffering.
I guess be aware of it... try to be aware of anicca, duhkka, anatta, in the experiences, in the negative thoughts, sad/angry emotions, aching, tired sensations, etc, a la the Satipatthana Sutta.

I'm sure I know or knew the answer to this one, but in the middle of this emotional turmoil I can't quite remember.

Thanks.
My advice is clear counter to the prevailing wisdom of the day but is not said with anything with good will in mind.
If you need help get it. But if it is just a difficult time it will pass. In the meantime keep it to yourself. There is nothing to be gained from sharing it. Just keep on keeping on with a stiff upper lip.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

James the Giant wrote:Thanks for the suggestions and reminders of what I already knew, folks. It's good to have other people who can remind me of what the path is, when I've temporarily been blinded to it.
Went and meditated an hour. Even in the midst of the inner turmoil I could still concentrate well, and so spent a good hour doing vipassana.
I once read a sentence that i found to be true:

A friend is someone who knows the melody of your heart and sings it to you (mean) when you've forgotten it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBDF04fQKtQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hope all is well soon.

I marked red what I edited.
Last edited by Annapurna on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig