Anyone hungry?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Ben

Anyone hungry?

Post by Ben »

Hi all

I thought I would share:
4940536439_51acea797f.jpg
4940536439_51acea797f.jpg (171.35 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
I pulled them out of the oven at about 4.40PM.
Simple white bread as per Larousse's Gastronomique. I substituted extra-virgin olive oil for the butter.
The aroma is beautiful. I'm letting it cool down slowly before I cut it tomorrow morning.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sekha

Re: Anyone hungry?

Post by Sekha »

It's good with the olive oil too...

I have a bread machine, which makes the bread entirely, I just have to put the raw materials in it. Today I will try to put rice flakes together whith the wheat flour in it.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Mmm, bread. Would be a shame to not have a slice while it's still fresh though.

Baking is a hobby of mine, particularly breads. Once you get the basics down there are endless permutations of bread to take advantage of. My favorite recipe these days would have to be something of a hybrid bread with the seasonings of a focaccia but the slack dough of a ciabatta, with plenty of olive oil and a good solid preferment of at least 12 hours.

As for white breads, I like challah. The extra egg in the dough gives it a different but good texture, and it's just plain fun to make. Look at this thing, don't even tell me you don't want to eat it.

Not my photo, but still.
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

I haven't had challah in so long! I'm great family friends with a Jewish family, and every second Sunday I would show up to their house to muscle in on some of that sweet sweet challah :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

That's a great photo, Kenshou!
I'll have to put Challah on my to-do list. At the moment, I would like to get a reliable sourdough recipe and starter culture going, and keep playing. As I am intending to integrate bread-making with the activities at the Education Outdoors campus I am working at, I want to get a whole-food grain/seed bread going, and something locally grown and milled. I'd also like to make Malaysian roti which I think is quite technical.
I'm happy to let the bread cool before I try it. I know from experience that cutting it while it is still hot can cause it to collapse and I have to admit I'm not hungry and will probably go without an evening meal tonight.

Hi Dukkhanirodha

My wife and I were given a breadmaker for a wedding present years ago and I had great fun making bread with it. After awhile, I just got the breadmaker to kneed and prove the dough and I would take it out and shape it and bake the dough in the oven. In the end,it just died from overwork! Where I work, I inherited an old commercial mixer with a dough-hook so I've been having fun with that mixing sweet slices, pasta dough and bread dough. A few days ago I made pide which was moderately succesful - except when I was distracted by a phone call - forgot to pull it from the oven! Extra-deep crust! And the last time I was home I made pizza dough.
Its all good!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Looks good, Ben! Why do you cut the bread only tomorrow, though?

Isn't bread best when fresh? :thinking:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Anna

I'm not hungry! I'll have some tomorrow for breakfast.
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Oh! Yeah, you live in another time zone!

Well, I wish a good breakfast then!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

mmmmm,

Great photos and good job, Ben.

I added a link to your blog at:

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... avage_Land" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you David!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

effort

Post by effort »

wow great
Ben

Post by Ben »

It tastes good too. REALLY GOOD!
I just wish you were all here to enjoy it with me!
In the words of Ned Flanders, de-diddly-licious!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725